Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well 2 days ago I had my wisdom teeth out and was prescribed vicodin. I noticed an interesting thing happen. I obviously haven't drank since my surgery, but I also noticed since taking the vicodin as prescribed I didn't need nearly as much klonopin as I usually take. Now, this could also correlate to the fact I don't have "morning after" anxiety from alcohol too. But I've gone from taking close to 3mg of k-pins daily to only needing about 1mg yesterday. And today none so far.

I don't abuse my vicodin, and am almost out bc I only got enough for a few days, but I found it rather interesting.

The only other med I am on is remeron, 15mg every night. This def helps with my insomnia and mood somewhat, my doc might try to bump it up to 30mg next visit.

The only thing that it doesn't help, and that I've been noticing more since my major cutbacks on drinking, is OCD thoughts. Now, I've had these for years. Not really compulsions, but obsessive thinking of something that's bothering me, and not being able to get it out of my head.

Also, irritability. Had this before the remeron, and still do.

Mabye bumping it up will help... as I don't want to get off this med for its other good properties, but I'm gonna encounter a few other roadblocks as well.

First, weaning off klonopin. My dr. hasn't suggested I do this yet, and I'm sure it will be okay as long as I follow what he tells me, but it still worries me.

2nd, mabye possibly adding another med to counteract irritability/obsessive thinking if bumping remeron doesn't help. I'm thinking possibly prozac?

Any input would be appreciated. This "getting off the alcohol" thing is still hard as ****, and I know I have an addictive personality; but I at least acknowledge it and am ready to break out of my self-induced misery.

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
Stay on Klonopin and kick the booze first. Then re-examine how you feel, quitting Alcohol will have many unforeseen benefits. So, stay on Klonopin, quit drinking today and in a couple weeks see how you are feeling before you go changing your meds.

Personally I have never found quitting the juice to be difficult, and I've gone from drinking nearly a liter of hard alcohol a day (for a year or more) to drinking nothing within a week several times. But I've known many alcoholics who, for the life of them cannot stop drinking. So obviously you can only do the best that you can. But quitting alcohol should be your #1 priority before you mess with your meds anymore. Alcohol really screws with your mind, so get off of that before you do anything else.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stay on Klonopin and kick the booze first. Then re-examine how you feel, quitting Alcohol will have many unforeseen benefits. So, stay on Klonopin, quit drinking today and in a couple weeks see how you are feeling before you go changing your meds.

Personally I have never found quitting the juice to be difficult, and I've gone from drinking nearly a liter of hard alcohol a day (for a year or more) to drinking nothing within a week several times. But I've known many alcoholics who, for the life of them cannot stop drinking. So obviously you can only do the best that you can. But quitting alcohol should be your #1 priority before you mess with your meds anymore. Alcohol really screws with your mind, so get off of that before you do anything else.
That's what I have been doing, I've really been cutting back. I used to binge almost every night, and I cut back to drinking socially or only on nights where I don't work the next day, and I've noticed my anxiety decrease a lot at work and stuff. Usually when I'm about 4-5 days sober, my klonopin need lessens quite a bit.

I do have a lot of underlying depression and anxiety issues that I know I need to face, so I'm preparing for it. I've made my life a mess, but I can get out of it. I've been looking so long in drugs and alcohol to find something that makes me happy 24/7. That's where my mindset went wrong and I fell off the cliff.

Now it's time to climb back up, the right way. And know that my medicines now can help, but only if I allow them too, and if I make changes.

Phew, sorry, I needed to get that out. Been down these past few hours thinking about things. Needed to vent.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
...I've gone from drinking nearly a liter of hard alcohol a day (for a year or more) to drinking nothing within a week several times.
It's great you were able to stop and with such ease.

Wow, that's a lot. A liter of hard liquor would equate to 22 drinks (1.5 ounces of 80 proof). Before my brother stopped in June 2010 he was up to a liter of whiskey a day too.

I always found such levels mind boggling as I've never consumed that many drinks in any day. For me more than 5 drinks comes with a guarantee of a headache and feeling like crap.

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
It's great you were able to stop and with such ease.

Wow, that's a lot. A liter of hard liquor would equate to 22 drinks (1.5 ounces of 80 proof). Before my brother stopped in June 2010 he was up to a liter of whiskey a day too.

I always found such levels mind boggling as I've never consumed that many drinks in any day. For me more than 5 drinks comes with a guarantee of a headache and feeling like crap.
yep, even when I was drinking that much it was mind boggling to me as well. A functioning alcoholic, though I don't know how. Glad I quit the juice. It's always taken a lot to get me drunk though, just like it's always taken high doses of benzos to have an effect as well. Since I've always been really hyper vigilant, agitated, anxious, etc. I suspect that some part of my brain functions differently than "it is supposed to."

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
It's always taken a lot to get me drunk though, just like it's always taken high doses of benzos to have an effect as well. Since I've always been really hyper vigilant, agitated, anxious, etc. I suspect that some part of my brain functions differently than "it is supposed to."
Interesting.

A lot of people upon hearing how much benzos I used to use (10mg/day Xanax) would ask if it took a lot to get me drunk too. And the answer is nope, I get drunk just the same as anybody else.

Thus why I find the 22 drinks contained in a liter of hand liquor to be mind boggling. Or I'll read about guys who drink a 12 pack of beer in one sitting, while I've never done that and find it hard to even fathom how one manages to stuff over a gallon of beer into their body. Sounds more on par with a hotdog eating contest than something that would be at all enjoyable. I read about others who drink till blacking out. And all this while I've never wanted to nor been able to drink amounts that even come close.

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
Interesting.

A lot of people upon hearing how much benzos I used to use (10mg/day Xanax) would ask if it took a lot to get me drunk too. And the answer is nope, I get drunk just the same as anybody else.

Thus why I find the 22 drinks contained in a liter of hand liquor to be mind boggling. Or I'll read about guys who drink a 12 pack of beer in one sitting, while I've never done that and find it hard to even fathom how one manages to stuff over a gallon of beer into their body. Sounds more on par with a hotdog eating contest than something that would be at all enjoyable. I read about others who drink till blacking out. And all this while I've never wanted to nor been able to drink amounts that even come close.
yeah I feel the same way now that I rarely drink, a couple times in my life though I have self-medicated with alcohol though. Even at the time I didn't enjoy it, but both times I had a stressful job and just ended up drinking non-stop. For me it was always the functioning alcoholic kind of thing. Never getting drunk but just drinking enough alcohol all day to be numb, if you will.

Having had only a few glasses of wine over the past 16 months, I don't even like to drink. Looking back though, I wonder how I managed to live and appear so normal when I was drinking that much. I agree with you that the thought of it is pretty gross.

·
Going to war
3,928 Posts
Most I drank was 37 beers in one sitting. I used to binge drink a lot the dt made me super functional. However i never got into the bottle that much.

I've been drinking hard liqurer lately I made the bottle last over 10 days by drinking caps basically I turned it short halflife into something long. No disturbances in sleep or hangover just the benefits. It gives me abit of inspiration tiny bits of alcohol.

·
Going to war
3,928 Posts
355ml 5% alc

I brought a box of boxer which was 4 12ers in a box.

·
Going to war
3,928 Posts
About one evening.

·
Going to war
3,928 Posts
It gross man that like drinking 37 cans of pop. It probably better to drink hard.

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
It gross man that like drinking 37 cans of pop. It probably better to drink hard.
Vodka has always been my alcohol of choice, probably due to my Russian ancestry. Fill a water bottle full of it and sip it all through the work day, no one is the wiser.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Always was a beer girl myself; never wanted to abuse the harder stuff because I knew things could get really ugly (not that they weren't when I was just abusing beer). But at my worst point, I could probably drink 6 12 ounce beers in less than 2 hours. Then I'd keep going... till I passed out basically.

·
Freesix88
952 Posts
Stay on the klonopin otherwise bump it up I would say. Alcohol is far worse for your body. Get off that first. I never been an alcoholic so I can't give you the best advice for you but I heard about baclofen for addictive drug problems. Looks interesting. Remeron is good for sleep. Good to hear you are doing better. You are on the right way. You deserve the best... (we know)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I am mad at myself. Last night I caved in after being in a depressed mood, and drank a lot, by myself. I forgot to take my mirtazapine and passed out... woke up this morning feeling like a train wreck :/. Ugh.

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
^^^ sorry to hear it. Don't worry though, it happens to everyone, you'll get there and be totally stoked when you do. nurse your hangover and get well soon. You're doing good and it's worthwhile.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts