Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's hard. I drive there, go to class, and drive home. I thought about joining a club but nothing interested me. I'm somewhat contemplating getting a job at the library next semster.

BTW, my friend pressured me into getting on Facebook, which of course is awkward since I don't know anyone. I finally signed up but used a picture of a fat, naked guy for my profile. :b

·
Sassy
2,222 Posts
My college is quite large, but it's a commuter college with no dorms so everyone has the same problem as I do. Everyone just sort of goes there and goes home.

·
gone
5,224 Posts
I don't understand how you're supposed to make friends at university if you don't live in the accomodation.
Basically you can't. I've been going to uni for five years and have lived at home the whole time, and haven't really made any friends. Basically I just go to class, and then go home.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Henry-Krinkle said:
I don't understand how you're supposed to make friends at university if you don't live in the accomodation. I live at home so I'm basically missing out on everything. I wasn't even given a timetable for fresher's week.

Which means that I have no real chance of gaining any social life in the first week. There are organised events like bar crawls, various student nights, but one has to make friends independently. I might as well just be walking out onto the street trying to meet people.
I could imagine that living at home while going to school as opposed to living in a dorm makes it difficult to find friends, but living in a dorm, as I do, does not eliminate the fact that I have SA. In fact, it makes me aware of my awkwardness around others and inability to make friends. Furthermore, I feel like crap watching everyone else make friends so easily and going out to party. I'm not saying that my problem is bigger than yours, because at least in my case there lies the possibility of making friends, but I don't think being around people removes the SA that prevents me from making the friends in the first place. I don't know, maybe your SA is at a different level than mine and you would be able to overcome some of your SA...

·
Registered
52 Posts
making friends

In my first year of uni I knew lots of people so there were all aquaintances.

In first and second year I only did like art subjects so I there were heaps of students doing these subjects, and it was hard to know who was in my year. BUT

Then in third year and fourth year is when I started forming better friendships as all the people in my classes were in my year, so it was much better.

Yeah So I think it really doesnt have that much too do with staying on campis but more about a time thing.

But I am soley speaking from unis in australia. I am not sure really about american unis.

I mean what percentage of people live at uni. cause in australia its like a very small percentage. Its usually studnets who like come from the country and then they stay at uni. Most people I knew from uni made friends at uni. and still went home every day. I wouldnt assume that its only because youre not living at uni. The sa would still be there. Maybe its a good thing, because having to be part of so many social situations might distract you from studying. Just a thought.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi everyone...
Im Ruby..
heading to uni next week Im excited and nervous..
I feel sick to my tummy just thinking about it
new people .. I know one girl from work that will be in the same class as me... shes friendly and not loud but louder than me... everyone is..
but Im feaking out.. should I try to make the best of it make friends ect.. or should I hide out ..
I want to go to classes and spend my open time studying and doing homework not socializing.. but I think I might be dragged into sitting around talking to people or just sitting there watching people talk ..
idk what im gunna do I dont wanna be the akward person who avoids people ... ill be ok Ill live.. but IM FREAKING out a little..
my voice is so weak and quiet people right in front of me can heardly hear me I feel so DUMB when they look at me like huh or say what I cant hear you.. im like in my head that was a normal voice I dont want to scream
anyone go through this>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts