Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Unitarian Universalists out there? I hold many Buddhist Taoist beliefs within my religion as well.

·
Ambassador of Hugs
2,787 Posts
I'm not one, but I grew up going to U.U. services and I love its principles and overall accepting feel of the community. I work a lot of Taoist and (Theraveda) Buddhist ideals into my own beliefs as well, but I consider myself more of an Ethical Culturist than anything else.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I was raised Christian (Church of Christ) and fell away from church during a bad marriage/relationship (10 years). I went back to the church I was raised in after my divorce in 05 and stayed for knowing people for 2 years but found the beliefs too opporessive so I have been church shopping since last August. One of the churches I visited was our local Unitarian church. I liked it very much but I had already been visiting two other churches regularly and had made relationships at both so I have not been back to the Unitarian church. I really liked how accepted everyone was, live and let live sort of thing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting, what's an ethical culturist? I'm a Unitarian for its belief structure but also because of our Reverend and our congregation (which I haven't been to in months)-absolutely fabulous and very intelligent people. I find Unitarianism can vary greatly depending on the Church and community.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Justme Reply

I was raised Christian (Church of Christ) and fell away from church during a bad marriage/relationship (10 years). I went back to the church I was raised in after my divorce in 05 and stayed for knowing people for 2 years but found the beliefs too opporessive so I have been church shopping since last August. One of the churches I visited was our local Unitarian church. I liked it very much but I had already been visiting two other churches regularly and had made relationships at both so I have not been back to the Unitarian church. I really liked how accepted everyone was, live and let live sort of thing.
Sorry I don't know how to do a direct reply. Anyway, glad you enjoyed it. I agree that community in a Church is definitely key. Glad you've found a place that you like, I think religion and spirituality are essential to a complete existence-sadly many people don't pursue these things.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Perhaps a "complete existence" needn't be pursued; but is rather what is here when we stop pursing.

p

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm a very good point to ponder. Depends on what you're pursuing-if it's material wealth then yes, if it's letting go of everything and connecting to things on a deeper level that-no. Perhaps 'pursue' is a bad word because of the connotations, but there is always choice in life, convictions, always something we want to attain, be it nirvana or something more earthly in nature.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Perhaps there are those who have no "want" to attain. Then the term "always" becomes only a contrived justification of the mind.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts