Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
immortal in the making
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so then, i've been working in my store for over 5 and a half years, and am now currently a store supervisor (one down from the deputy manager). cutting the filler out, we recently aquired a new manager as our previous one got moved to another store many miles away, and he's been here for nearly 7 months. a few months back, we all had performance reviews about what can be done to make things better for ourselves and ultimately, the store (via training, changes in how stuff gets done etc) and in the meeting (1-on-1), i raised the fact that earlier on in the year i got diagnosed with SAD and got put on anti-depressants and how it affects my job. blah blah blah.

i struggle working nights as there is only 4 staff (including myself) when in the day there is an average of 8ish. i'm sure i dont need to explain why i find it hard working the evening shift to you guys.

i find it uneasy being on the shop floor for too long.

and talking to staff about bad behaviour is very difficult too due to the disorder.

anyway, nothing has been done to help me. although this week i'm on days (first time in years that i've only got ONE night shift in my working week), i'm still on nights (friday and saturday nights are killer!!), still only got 4 staff at night, forever being given more work than we can handle, and the guy i trained up as a supervisor 2 years ago gets all the days, the days off he wants, and when his allergy to night shifts prevents him from working a full shift and he gets an untrained member of staff to supervise, i feel nothing gets done.

3 weeks ago i got pulled into the office and got spoken to by the manager and deputy about my performance (well, lack of it) after a lack of work getting done on my understaffed and very busy weekend, and yes, SA did get mentioned, but "the job still needs doing" apparently. yup. sod my health, the work still needs to get done at the end of the day!!
got pulled in the office again yesterday. over an incident that happend on... SUNDAY!! (i soooo hate sunday's..) a member of staff who can be a bit troublesome with his temper exploded at a friend of his over an issue with some pizza (long story...). well, he told the guy to "**** OF OUT THE VILLAGE!!" and stormed off out into the warehouse where i was (oblivious to what happened) and long story short, a girl who i trained as a supervisor last year helped me deal with it. she said what needed saying and sent him home, which was a joint decission. i was there for the whole while listening in, and making sure it didnt blow out of proportion and to back her up/stand in. but with SA, it's obviously very hard to do this on my own. well, yesterday, i got told i didnt do my job properly. as a store supervisor, i should have dealt with it myself, with HER as MY backup.

i'm now getting 2 letters of concern, and if things dont improve, i'll be getting disciplinaries. i really dont feel this is right!! management keeps putting me in shifts and situations that are very hard to deal with, and it's not like they dont know about my condition(s). i'm sure they are breaking the law in regards to the DDA. but i really dont know!! :cry i cant take it any more, and i swear that i'll do better just quiting and being unemployed, taking things at a pace i can handle until i can find a job that i can do and be understood in.
why should i keep doing these shifts when the other storesupervisor is always "ill" during night shifts, and pisses everyone off!!

somebody PLEASE HELP ME!! :cry i need advice, and i dont know who to turn to and how!!

·
Banned
29 Posts
Under ADA anyone with a disability has the right to request reasonable accommodations.

What accommodations can you request?

In general, an accommodation is any change in the work environment or in the way things are customarily done that enables an individual with a disability to enjoy equal employment opportunities. Under the ADA, employers are required to provide "reasonable" accommodations for employees with disabilities. Therefore, you can request any accommodation that is considered "reasonable."

Here are some examples of reasonable accommodations from the EEOC:

* making existing facilities accessible
* job restructuring
* part-time or modified work schedules
* acquiring or modifying equipment
* changing tests, training materials, or policies
* providing qualified readers or interpreters
* reassignment to a vacant position
* medical leave
* work from home

http://www.jan.wvu.edu/EeGuide/IIRequest.htm

·
Banned
29 Posts
I wouldn't play the ADA card with SA. It would way too big of a hassle and, well, stupid.
He has already told his employer that he has social anxiety and seems to be at the end of his rope. It is a last ditch effort, but what other options does he have? If its between quitting a job that he's worked for 5 years and requesting certain accommodations, I would give it a shot.

·
Remarkable
1,043 Posts
I am sympathetic, but I don't really see what accommodation can be made unless you want to be demoted or transferred to a position with no customer interaction ( have a warehouse?) or something. I think in a supervisor position at a store you have some responsibilities where the job requires certain things. I think disability status is irrelevant ( I think its very rare that SA would be considered a disability, especially when the disruption of life isn't that extreme) The employer should be understanding but they also have a certain way they want things done. Congrats on making it to that level. I have always worked jobs I thought below my abilities and avoided too much responsibility because of SA. I would consider asking to be moved to another position or find another job unlike this one. Or tough it out and see if you can get through the SA ( easier said than done, I know).

·
Registered
302 Posts
While you can use the accommodation route, will they take it seriously? Unfortunately mental health is not taken the same as physical ailments.

I wouldn't tell your supervisors about your SA, it goes along with any other issue; not their concern unless it affects your performance. It is nobody's business but your own.

·
immortal in the making
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i wouldnt be "crying" discrimination if it wasnt for the fact that my ex-friend (long story in itself) who is also a store supervisor (i've done a lot to get him to where he is, regretably), who as far as man is concerned, is more of a disgrace than an honour to the store. his appearance has never improved, despite many things being said to him by our previous manager (like sending him home to get showered and sort his clothes out properly). he never says anything nice to any of the staff (who all hate working with him). rude. impolite. always goes home an hour early (which is a liberty i never take). has had more days of sick in the last year than i have since i started 5 and a half years ago (and he always seems to be ill when he has to work one of his very rare night shifts so someone else has to supervise), and not to forget, has now become best friends with the deputy manager (to the point where his "fiancee" has said "you might as well marry him, not me!"). there is more likely a hell of a lot more i can say, but i'll leave it at that.
anyway, my point is, this guy gets all the day shifts which has a lot less responsibility on his head than i have on mine in the evening. hardly ever answers bells to help customers. and if my manager's theory is correct, apparently works harder and gets more done, so why not PUT HIM ON MY SHIFTS IF I'M UNDERPERFORMING?!!! give me a rest from the nights where i'm obviously getting way too stressed and over my head and let this **** of a prick show just how great and amazing and worthy of becoming a deputy he is by doing MY shifts that actually DEMAND more from a supervisor than measly day shifts!!?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts