Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have any "inside connections" and going to job fairs or reaching out for help at ALL is super stressful to contemplate.
I work in the IT field and am confident in professional settings... You don't get a job without knowing somebody and I just haven't had the ability to get out of my head long enough to build a network! How the heck am I supposed to figure this out!!:mum:mum

·
Registered
414 Posts
I don't have any "inside connections" and going to job fairs or reaching out for help at ALL is super stressful to contemplate.
I work in the IT field and am confident in professional settings... You don't get a job without knowing somebody and I just haven't had the ability to get out of my head long enough to build a network! How the heck am I supposed to figure this out!!:mum:mum
hey I am in Long Beach, in similar position as you but I am in CS field. I considered going to some dev "meetups", but I cant wrap my head around what am I going to do there. "Socialize and make connections" sounds like a foreign term to me. Also everybody is telling me I should have super easy time finding a job, but nobody is even replying to my applications!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I see what you are saying. I have noticed the same thing "its not what you know its who you know!" However, someone with no connections could potentially be just as good (if not better) at the job than someone with many connections. drives me nuts too.. . . . . the job market is not kind to introverts.

Would LinkedIn help you? I don't know. A recruiter might find you through that site maybe. Good luck.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Who you know means a lot unfortunately. It's not enough just to be a skilled worker because you won't ever get to show it without a chance to begin with. Have you tried a technical agency, like Robert Half? Sometimes they can help you get in the door. It would be contract work but sometimes it pays well enough to off set that fact.

·
Time Traveler
843 Posts
I agree 100%. By this point, I feel like I just wasted my time in school. I know PLENTY of people who skipped school and have these amazing careers. I look at them in public and think to myself "I remember one time you ate duck s*** for a $5 bet." (true story by the way). And meanwhile, I was sweating bullets trying to "do the right thing" and go to school for a "better future". And in the end, I'm unemployed because I'm not on some hiring manager's bowling team.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts