Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have the problem where someone asks you something and you are so caught off guard that you can't really comprehend what the hell they just said? Like today in class some girl asked me a question about what they professor said and I couldn't give her an answer right away because I couldn't figure out what she was asking. I used to just say I don't know to every question someone would ask me but I guess I have been getting better.

Another time this happened when I was talking on the phone to this girl I really liked. She said something, I could hear her fine, but for the life of me I couldn't understand what the hell she was saying. It sounded like jibberish.

·
rawr?
86 Posts
Yah. I have this problem. It doesn't happen much.
I think it's because I'm so nervous and wrapped up in my own thoughts that I kinda blank other people out.
When somebody ask me something I always say What to make sure I understood them. I remember back in school someone standing right next to me was asking a question. I had to ask her to repeat herself three times, it was like she was speaking another language.
People must think I am going deaf. =/

·
Daydreaming
586 Posts
Yes!!.....:um I say I don't know often then sometimes or I ask them what? and if I still don't get what they are saying, I say I don't know...Kind of makes me come across as stupid or something. Sometimes if I understand them atleast a little bit, I repeat what they said in a new way, just to make sure I know what they mean....not sure if this relates though, but for an example:

Person: So what do you like to do?
Me: Uh you mean for like a hobby or something?
Person: Yeah...

I remember several months ago, when my sis would be talking to me, I'd be listening but I just couldn't understand, like someone said, it's as if they are speaking another language....and I would say huh? what? and tell her to repeat and sometimes it would be funny and other times it would be frustrating and she would think I wasn't listening.

·
roarrrr
4,876 Posts
Haha, I can kind of relate but in a different way.

I'm partially deaf in my right ear, so unfortunantely I can't hear people that well. I get extremely self-conscious when someone is a low talker and I have to say 'what' like a million times.

Sometimes I just give a nervous smile and run away. Which probably makes it seem like I'm retarded or something.... :|

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I think it's because i am lost in my own head a lot of the time. It's hard to concentrate with negative thoughts swimming around my head.

·
SAS Member
939 Posts
I'm always having to ask people to repeat what they have just said, because either my mind is swimming in my own lame thinking or I can't comprehend what they're even talking about. I'm pretty sure they think I'm deaf sometimes, but I'm not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts