Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
:No Worries:
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sweat all day even when its cold under my arms. Its like a river and makes my anxiety worse. I know many people with SAS / GAD have this problem, has anyone ever found a way to make it better?

Even the procedure to remove the glands?

Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've used "Drysol" before, it's a high aluminum antiperspirant which has literally stopped this issue for me completely. It's OTC and relatively cheap too. This was after trying most of the mainstream anti's and having them do absolutely nothing for me while at the gym or just sitting around in a cold room during winter.

·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So they sell it at drugstores or even places like target? I am going to find some this weekend! Thank you so much!:)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah here in Aus I just picked it up in a Chemist/Drug store, small white box with blue or black lettering, really plain looking. Takes a few days but it reeally worked amazingly, I was very skeptical after trying so many others and couldn't believe the results.

You can do some reading up if you're concerned on the aluminum too btw, some people argue high aluminum products aren't all that that great for you, but as usual there are ongoing studies for and against that.

·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hehe thanks for the update I will give it a shot!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm not a huge sweater but I'm paranoid so I use "Mitchum" it is also an aluminum based anti-perspirant. Works great but only use it when necessary because the aluminum is linked to alzheimers (sp?). Otherwise just use regular deodorant when you can.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
I use Gillette Clear Gel Antiperspirant. It ruins my shirts (eventually) but it works. Just make sure you get the antiperspirant. The deodorant doesn't do much. They're usually marked as deodorant/antiperspirant. This stuff isn't as good as it used to be for some reason but it still works better than just about anything else I've ever used. You have to give it a couple of weeks after you start using it to get really good results.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The condition is known as hyperhidrosis.... I THINK you might need a prescription to get Driclor (or Drysol or whatever it's called) in the USA because it has a higher aluminum content, but Certain Dri works great for many people and you can buy it in normal grocery stores. Beware that it stings horrendously and takes awhile to work (weeks, in my case). But after persevering, my problem is literally barely existent anymore, it's almost unnoticeable.

Also, I have found that using a cotton swab and ordinary rubbing alcohol works VERY well in conjunction with the Certain Dri. I have no idea why. But it works. Go and try it. Hyperhidrosis sucks and I feel your pain, but the issue is fixable and it feels amazing when you realize it's not a problem anymore!

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
I sweat all day even when its cold under my arms. Its like a river and makes my anxiety worse. I know many people with SAS / GAD have this problem, has anyone ever found a way to make it better?

Even the procedure to remove the glands?

Thanks
There is this deodorant your doctor can prescribe to you, I tried it once because I'm allergic to deodorant but it's actually meant for people who sweat too much and get stains on the underarms of their shirts. I believe it's called hypercare. Ask your doctor about it, if you don't have health insurance or are unable to see a doctor, you can probably find it online somewhere.

Powder works to or baking soda. Monistat makes stuff for the underarms as well but I think that's more for chafing.

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
Becareful which deodorants you use, some of them can seep into the armpit pours and cause cancer (in the long run). Don't shave it, try something natural like TOMS or Burts Bee's. I think Burts Bee's only makes it for men though, doesn't really matter though, it will work just as well for a woman considering men supposely sweat more than woman.

If you can, definitely try the hypercare stuff like I told you about before. It works very well.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I used to have this problem. Drysol worked well enough that I was able to stop worrying about it. I'm not sure if it's due to that or something else, but I no longer have the problem. It was painful, though. I can't imagine being able to tolerate it if I also shaved in that location. But thankfully, I am male and not currently expected to do so. Females are not so lucky in this regard.

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
i sweat a lot but i have managed to controlled it by breathing slow and drinking plenty of water.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Certain-Dri. It is a little more expensive, but apparently, it works.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Every time I walk to class, I have to walk from the university's stadium parking lot. By the time I reach the building, I've got a decent amount of forehead sweat and arm pit sweat. Even my back and chest sweat lol. I go into the bathroom and grab paper towels and apply to all areas to get rid of the sweat and feel more hygenic.

·
giggling ******
11,070 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts