Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always known that I was an underachiever. I always thought that it was purely because I was incapable or incompetent. This has caused me a lot of shame because I could be doing so much more. I know that a lot of us on these forums could be doing so much more if only we could rid ourselves of crippling fears.
Is underachievment just a byproduct of SA? If so, why do teachers, parents and school councelors ever realize this and actually do something about it?
I recently figured out that my mother has SA too and I know that she has always been afraid to do anything that required effort.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I think underachievment is a by-product of SA. Its probably down to a fear of failure, so people with SA don't take risks and opt for safe options most of the time; and if your SA causes you to be very quiet (like me) then I find you get overlooked by the people who could help you to achieve the things you are capable of doing.

My personal experience is that I was very good academically (i've got a first class degree), but as I was very quiet and never really interacted with anyone I was never given any encouragement or guidance in continuing on to the career I know I was capable of going into. When I left university I hadn't a clue what to do, and didn't feel able to ask for help, so ended up joining a job agency and working in factories. Its been painful working in factories these last ten years knowing I should have been doing so much more.

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think underachievment is a by-product of SA. Its probably down to a fear of failure, so people with SA don't take risks and opt for safe options most of the time; and if your SA causes you to be very quiet (like me) then I find you get overlooked by the people who could help you to achieve the things you are capable of doing.

My personal experience is that I was very good academically (i've got a first class degree), but as I was very quiet and never really interacted with anyone I was never given any encouragement or guidance in continuing on to the career I know I was capable of going into. When I left university I hadn't a clue what to do, and didn't feel able to ask for help, so ended up joining a job agency and working in factories. Its been painful working in factories these last ten years knowing I should have been doing so much more.
I think it's great that you're a naturally gifted student and that you have a first class degree! That is something you can and should be proud of. What field is your degree?
I wish I had been gifted so that I wouldn't have had to feel stupid compared to all the good students. It always seems that I had to try twice as hard but not get that much further.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Had this problem at every level of my education and all levels of competitive athletic activities.

At first I didn't mind, in high school, and then halfway through college, but after a while I became pretty embarrassed that I couldn't improve. My biggest issue was always focusing on the issues at hand, whether sport or education, because I had all these other issues going on. I've never given anything my full attention, and of course, there are the physical symptoms that have hindered me, the vomiting, delerium, weight loss, panic attacks, the general incapacitating problems that would cause me to miss class, miss practice/parts of games, ect. It's really hard to be at your best when you're constantly fighting something else at the same time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts