Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone experience this? Like when someone asks for my name, I get anxious and hesitate. Not for any particular reason, really, but I've always felt weird saying my name out loud. It just sounds strange coming out of my mouth. It's as if I have trouble pronouncing it, even though it's a common name.

I'm just wondering if anyone else here has trouble with this. Could it be related to SA? Or am I just nuts?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I feel that way a lot, it's not even because my last name is Spanish and therefore "different". I'm the one saying it and I know how to pronounce it....yet it creates anxiety. Definitely has to be an SA thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Haha I have trouble telling people my name for some reason. Like my name is Jonathan but whenever someone asks me my name I say that, but they end not hearing me because I just don't say it loudly enough and end up mumbling. So now most of the time I just say my name is Jon, but I still do say it pretty mumbly and a lot of people always have to ask me to repeat it. I don't know if it's an SA thing, but I guess I just don't like saying my name loudly for some reason, especially the long form of it. Maybe it's because of the lack of self confidence I have in myself? I don't know. But yeah funny you should bring this up, because I've noticed I can never say my name loudly enough for people.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
I'm just wondering if anyone else here has trouble with this. Could it be related to SA? Or am I just nuts?
Yep. And for exactly the reasons you mentioned. Although I don't have as much trouble with it as I used to. But if somebody really puts me on the spot when I'm already en edge, I ain't saying it.

·
Banned
82 Posts
Does anyone experience this? Like when someone asks for my name, I get anxious and hesitate. Not for any particular reason, really, but I've always felt weird saying my name out loud. It just sounds strange coming out of my mouth. It's as if I have trouble pronouncing it, even though it's a common name.

shadowmask,

Thanks for posting this. I was beginning to think I was the only one that ever had this problem! It's not quite as bad as it used to be, because my SA has improved some. But I used to have a very bad problem saying my name to someone. It was so bad that I would open my mouth and nothing would come out! Actually, something would eventually come out, but it would come out in a stutter. I would stand there stuttering and stammering, trying to get my name out of my mouth. It would really get embarrassing ... as if I had some sort of mental defect. But the problem was my SA, as well as my lack of confidence.

What made it worse was the fact that I knew that I had this problem, and therefore the anxiousness would build whenever I knew I had to tell someone my name. It became a self-fulfilling prophecy in that I knew ahead of time that I was going to be stuttering and stammering when it came time to say my name. And the prophecy played out. I just hated telling someone my name for that reason.

As I said, my SA is improving and now I don't automatically lose my ability to speak my name when the situation arises. I will say I am not totally over my SA yet, and for that reason I sometimes still have the problem of opening my mouth and nothing coming out but stutters and stammers when I have to tell someone my name. But yes, I am getting better.

For those that want to know what is helping me, read my thread about what I believe is the cause of our SA (the thread about "toxic shame").

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have this prob as well because my name isn't that simple. But Its a part of us and we gotta say it with pride i guess. But if i'm ordering pizza over the phone i usually give them a shorter version, to make it easier.

·
herp derp
2,347 Posts
Yup although it's mostly because my name is hard to pronounce and I know that if I say it once, they most likely won't catch it and so, the "name lesson" begins.

·
Somewhere but not here.
1,802 Posts
Yes. While my first name is very common my last name is a pain to deal with. It has a very common pronunciation, but a strange spelling. So everyone would get it wrong when they say it. Giving it I have to spell it out, Since the first 3 letters are how one would usually write the pronunciation I would kind of get a "do you think I'm stupid" look until I blurt out the next letter.
Or if I forget to spell it out then they can't find my name.
Or when being called, I have to be aware of all the common mispronunciations I've ever heard.
I've hough of just pronouncing it differently, but I don't want to. That pronunciation is important to me, kind of a part of my identity.

·
Positively Revolting Hag
6,547 Posts
Haha. Whenever someone asks my name they're like, Oh, Christine? No, Justine. -_-
I think I might change my name to Christine.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have an unusual name and yes I do sometimes feel anxious about saying it. Often people look puzzled and go "huh?" and I have to repeat it. Some people want me to explain WHY did my parents call me that. I have no idea why they did really but it's really worrying when I feel the need to get into a conversation about it because I didn't pick this name.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My name is Cannie. Pronounced like Kain E, hence my username. So yeah, I always have to repeat it a few times, spell it out for some people, and answer questions about my name.

First day of classes in school was always fun. Going to the dentist or the doctor, and having them call my name is a blast too. Nobody ever pronounces it right. Its always, Can E, Kinny, or Connie. >.<

I was named after my great grandpa, he's the only other person with my name I ever knew.

When I google it the results are mostly Chinese women. So I guess I have a girls name.

Sometimes I feel like that Johnny Cash song "Boy named Sue". It forces me into situations I'm not comfortable with, and I have kicked my dad's ***. haha.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts