Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if any other women deal with this problem or not but I figured I would ask. Whenever I wear makeup and need to touch it up or something I can't if there are people around. I can't even go into the bathroom to do it because I fear someone may walk in. I can't even take out lip gloss or chap stick and reapply it when needed if I'm in front of someone. I've noticed other people just take out lip gloss and put it on as I'm talking to them or check their makeup and touch it up in front of me and I would DIE if someone saw me doing the same thing. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I can't speak to the whole makeup thing :) but I've noticed I have a similar problem, if I'm walking around, or even in the car I feel uncomfortable putting on/taking off sunglasses, readjusting a hat, taking off a sweater/jacket, things like that. I don't have a clue why but I always feel more comfortable doing that where I can't be observed even though its a totally normal, mundane thing.

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
I can do lip gloss but I hate messing with makeup. I always think it's going to rain and I'm gonna get caught in the rain and then my makeup will be messed up...I have that EXACT thought every time, haha. So I usually just wear mascara and some eye shadow if I'm wearing it at all and I never reapply it unless I'm in the car. I don't wanna do it in front of anyone. I don't even really like doing it in front of my family haha.

·
Registered
604 Posts
wow me too. I don't wear a lot of make-up just eyeliner, mascara and lipgloss. I don't have to worry about my eyes but when I want to apply some lipgloss (or even some chapstick lol) I can't do it. I feel like everyone is staring at me reapply my makeup and thinking I'm vain lol. Sometimes when there's not a lot of people near me I'll do it really really fast.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I'm not sure if any other women deal with this problem or not but I figured I would ask. Whenever I wear makeup and need to touch it up or something I can't if there are people around. I can't even go into the bathroom to do it because I fear someone may walk in. I can't even take out lip gloss or chap stick and reapply it when needed if I'm in front of someone. I've noticed other people just take out lip gloss and put it on as I'm talking to them or check their makeup and touch it up in front of me and I would DIE if someone saw me doing the same thing. Anyone else have this issue?
yeah I have this issue, I used to not be able to do that even in the bathroom, but now I can, despite the girls around me.....

When I psychoanalyze this ****, I think it's because internally we don't think we're worth these things, that we're worth it to put on a cute lip gloss, or try to do our eyeliner cute......

If we did this in front of people, internally we fear their judgment of thinking, something along the lines of, "look at her trying to make herself look cute, "

I don't know how to make it clearer but I think that's the root of the issue-fearing others judgment on us, knocking us down, saying that I;m not important enough, that I don't matter enough, that it's not worth trying to take care of my appearance because I'm not worth it

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
I'm the opposite, I'm completely neurotic about ever appearing anything less than perfect at all times. So I obsessively check and fix my makeup whenever I have a spare minute, regardless of whether I need it or not.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
If we did this in front of people, internally we fear their judgment of thinking, something along the lines of, "look at her trying to make herself look cute, "
i'd say that's basically why i feel self-conscious about doing my make-up in front of people..

if i'm in a public washroom and it's not empty i'll do it in the stall (i use the back of my ipod as my mirror, lol). i have done it in front of strangers before but i feel really really self-conscious and feel them staring and judging my appearance or how i am applying it. i think i'd still even feel awkward around people i know, so i avoid that as well.

i only ever put chapstick on my lips and i usually feel fine about applying it in front of people. i might just turn my head or something. i see a lot of people do the same when it's not even of aesthetic purposes.

·
Banned
293 Posts
I don't have a problem reapplying makeup, but like Glen said I feel uncomfortable adjusting my clothes. I hate taking off/putting on my jacket in public for some reason.

·
Doing my best
301 Posts
"it's not gonna help you."

this is what i think other people are thinking. i can't even put on lip balm in front of others, nevermind the shiny or the sparkly. i wear no makeup, but that's the depression more than anxiety. i've completely stopped trying. it's awesome.

·
Registered
896 Posts
yeah, i can't even look at my face when in a publc bathroom...i just look down the whole time. When i do put on lipgloss i just do it while in the bathroom, i wish i can touch up my makeup, but i never do i don't want people getting the feeling that i'm stuck on myself.

·
dirt person
2,788 Posts
"it's not gonna help you."

this is what i think other people are thinking. i can't even put on lip balm in front of others, nevermind the shiny or the sparkly. i wear no makeup, but that's the depression more than anxiety. i've completely stopped trying. it's awesome.
Sometimes I'll try to make myself look as good as possible, but it's just not enough. I can't make myself look even remotely attractive. So I stop trying.
I'm pretty clueless about make up and choosing the right clothes and all that girly stuff.

·
SAS Member
939 Posts
when I'm at work, I can always feel my lips getting chapped, but I am much to insecure to get up and go to the restroom to reapply. Lately, I've been wearing less make up.

·
In Repair
196 Posts
I do the same thing! I've never thought about it being associated with SA, though. I always thought it was just a weird personality quirk.

Usually, if I want to check my makeup and someone else is in the bathroom, I'll go into a stall and wait for them to leave. The few times I've mustered the courage to check while someone else was in there, I could just feel their eyes on me, judging me. I could almost hear them thinking, "Yeah, right...like mascara is going to do anything for that ugly face."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts