Never read it.

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
...is Odysseus in Latin.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I couldn't get further than the first 20 pages or so. I found it very surreal, couldn't really follow it and couldn't summon up the concentration needed to understand it. Reading further would have been very hard work, requiring my full attention 110% of the time -- something that just didn't seem very appealing.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I couldn't get further than the first 20 pages or so. I found it very surreal, couldn't really follow it and couldn't summon up the concentration needed to understand it. Reading further would have been very hard work, requiring my full attention 110% of the time -- something that just didn't seem very appealing.
have you read 'a portrait of the artist as a young man'?

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
^this. I beat myself up to get about a third of the way through, then decided that it really wasn't worth it. I joked to my bf that they should just leave the second half of the book blank, because nobody ever gets further than halfway (respect to you, anonymid). My Bf then read the whole thing, just to prove me wrong. He then read Finnegan's Wake for good measure. :lol He said Ulysses was great, and well worth reading, but Finnegan's Wake really wasn't.

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
One thing I'll say about Ulysses is that to enjoy it, you really have to have a love of language for its own sake. If you don't want language to be anything more than the transparent medium for the telling of a story, then Ulysses is not the book for you; it's not a novel you read for the plot (though there is one). Part of the fun of reading Ulysses is experiencing the changes and transformations in style from episode to episode. Even if you don't fully get all the allusions and references (and no one does), and even if you lose track of exactly what's going on, there's still much to enjoy if you're receptive to Joyce's playfulness with language. Ulysses is an enormously fun book to read aloud from.

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
I'm reading it right now and I'm about 200 pages in. I'll finish it this time, the 3rd or 4th try. I get the distinct impression that Joyce is masturbating, but he does it with such style that I'll continue watching.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I'm surprised at how few people have read Odysseus. I thought it was required reading for everyone in school!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts