Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
21961 - 21980 of 22473 Posts

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,342 Posts
I feel like Americans and younger people are more puritanical I dunno. I'm watching this video by someone on YouTube who is 34 I think and from the UK. It's part of a series they're doing talking about their past going to goth clubs, drugs etc. Probably can't post it here. Anyway I think around the age of 16 they got into a relationship with a guy who was a bit older, I guess 20 when they got together. Some years later they broke up and the guy started dating another guy they knew but that guy turned out to be a bit of a sociopath and a pathological liar so they broke up. The YouTuber who dated the other guy ended up having some kind of casual thing with the sociopath and the other guy started dating another 16 year old now aged about 23.

The comments are like asking about the age of consent in the UK (so not from the UK obviously,) and calling him a pedo. Not to say that people won't be bothered by this kind of thing here but it's usually dad types. I guess I don't care because when I was 16 I had a crush on a 21 year old (think he was 20/21,) he went to this games club (table top, card game etc,) that I went to with a friend and some other people I knew. My friend ended up dating him instead though and I was really upset about that for about a day and then got over it (I got over stuff more quickly back then.) But anyway when she started dating him she'd just moved away and she broke up with him after a couple of weeks, he was pretty upset about that. I think he was more invested in that than she was with him.

I didn't find it from experience to be a troubling age gap. I don't think Dorian (The YouTuber) really feels that way in hindsight either. 🤷‍♂️ On the other hand Dorian is genderqueer/sort of identifies as a guy same with me and maybe that's related somehow. But I still feel like I'm onto something with the country/age thing.

The last time I brought up an opinion like this on this forum (around 2016 I think,) someone had a serious issues with it/me and kept calling me a heartless pedophile sympathising psychopath for many months (I mean mostly because they had a crush on me beforehand and even later weirdly, and then I guess I ruined some image they had, but that's a whole other story,) but I said what I said.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,342 Posts
I read some of these comments though, not just this specific topic and not just on this video, and it really reminds me of this blog post I read a few years ago (though it was written about millennials, supposedly.)

Hotel Concierge — YOUNG ADULT FICTIONS (tumblr.com)

Young adult fiction is a stepping stone, good if it helps you get better at understanding people without a Wes Anderson narrator whispering in your ear. Unfortunately, the ability to parrot accepted opinions is often taken for the ability to derive judgments of one’s own. I’m thinking of a homestuck 13 year old who is constantly told that he/she is “so mature” for getting straight A’s and being well-spoken with the dinner guests and not ditching class to smoke brick weed with Devin. Whether or not those behaviors are good, the kid isn’t mature, he or she is well-trained, and if you keep claiming maturity then you are going to stunt development. Sorry: not having an adolescent rebellion means you didn’t complete adolescence. The result is neotenous adults who are not overly sensitive—as conservative media would claim—but rather overly dependent on external rules. Cards Against Humanity is so funny, right? You get to say bad words, but it’s only a game.

“Help, I was a gifted kid and now I’m a normal adult!” Different adjective, same problem. Once Hal Incandenza is typecast as “gifted,” everyone will find it convenient to grade him (praise/no praise) on whether he is living up to his label. How do you look gifted? You can solve P vs. NP……or you can read the dictionary. I’ll bet that every ex-gifted kid who now uses “adulting” as a verb is a fan of those faux-pretentious memes, “mfw she confuses epistemics and ontology,” fitting Wikipedia philosophy into preformed joke structures, lowbrow expressions of highbrow concepts, a few college words to suggest immeasurable depths. You do what you know: exert the minimum necessary effort to convince other people of your intelligence. But you can’t convince yourself.

The consequences are predictable. Imposter syndrome. Scrupulosity. Sexual fetishes suffixed with -play. Gushing compassion ruined by the inability to picture how one appears to the outside world. Neediness. Ill-fitting jeans. Trouble with romance, and not because they don’t know how—deep down they do—but because they cling to a rulebook (“milady”) instead of trusting instinct. They were never allowed to have instincts. For that matter they’ve never really wanted, never felt a desire that wasn’t assigned, which is why: open relationships, switched majors, medicated anxiety, and ambivalence, ambivalence, ambivalence.

I know how heavy lies the burden of wasted potential. So please take this in the gentlest possible way: you were never that great. Greatness is a meaningless thing to apply to a kid, or a college student, or any idea that hasn’t forced it’s way onto paper. The only path is forward. “It’s our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” I think that’s Dumbledore, take it or leave it—there’s a time and a place for young adult fiction
But they sound worse than us and I know a lot of my issues come from not rebelling enough at the right points in life.

I'm sure this is mostly virtue signalling from these people but if they practice what they preach or if it's a generational thing in general. You know a culture that leads to 'height gaps is paedophilia.' and so on. They're going to have one hell of a ****ing crisis at some point midlife, quarterlife. Perpetually.

·
Just a bit stitious
5,049 Posts
Already feeling sad and down and the weekend hasn’t offically begun yet. And apparently just wanting a nice decent meal instead of the same crap is too much to ask.

·
alien monk
8,652 Posts
I just walked past a $10 note on the group and didnt want to pick it up cos people might see. also I'm wearing my new glasses out and I dont want anyone to look at me. its 50/50 at this stage whether I like them or they look ridiculous. or it could be both 🤣

·
alien monk
8,652 Posts
I stood on some glass and my blood was so brightly red. I must be healthy as **** 🤣

·
Karmically Cryptic
Wonder
1,636 Posts
It's funny how the majority of the world walks around like we're so important, taking life so seriously. Like we're the center of the universe. I find it humbling to think that even if Earth died and humans ceased to exist the universe would carry on like nothing happened.

I do think we matter but I'm just thinking of a bigger picture for a moment.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think its interesting when girls are young they want an older guy, dad like figure to take care of them then they get in their 20s, 30s they're momming their boyfriends and so's instead. Maybe because were not having kids we just need to take the momming urge out on someone.

·
Super Moderator
8,423 Posts
Seeing people willingly doing casual stuff and spending time with their parents. Usually when I see this, my mind is wired to instantly think they are being dragged into this. I will feel bad for them. But when I see them smiling and enjoying time with their parents, it just weirds me out a lot. I find it strange. And then its hit me that this is actually normal and I am actually the strange one. The one who is screwed up.

This couple that lives a block down from me, in their late 20s - early 30s. The wife I always see her just riding bikes with both her visiting parents and they are always smiling and having a great time as they rode past my house. I always find that very strange.

Back in the day, we have this one friend in high school, where her and her lil brother will always have a morning weekend ritual of biking with her parents for an hour. Sometimes they will go up and have picnics as a family as a local park. And we all find it weird and poke fun of them looking like a sitcom family. And we find her pathetic to be spending time with her parents like a little kid.

I once had a coworker in a past job who told me she's going to be spending the long weekend to road trip with her parents. My instant reply which I thought was normal was blurting out "Oh that sucks, I am sorry to hear that. But at least it's only one weekend." She gave me an offended calling my remark rude. It left me confused for a while until I realized why lol. I burned my bridge with that coworker indefinitely after that.

·
Half agony, half hope.
2,787 Posts
To get a small semicolon tattoo or not...

·
Super Moderator
34,565 Posts
I'm not so sure I'm the biggest fan of what appears to be very slight wobbly movements added into gimbal stabilized video footage. Presumably it is done to add a bit of artistic style to the footage and perhaps maybe not make it seem unnaturally steady but at 48, I have seen more than enough shaky video footage to make me seriously appreciate the proliferation of gimbals in even the most amateur youtube footage. Camera motion can't be too smooth and steady, IMO.

Edit - Or maybe gimbals just aren't quite that good yet and they are doing their best to make the residual unsteadiness look natural and not as distracting.

·
Super Moderator
8,423 Posts
This one middle age and rather rude Indian lady cashier, every time she bags my groceries, she always stacks everything so perfectly and efficiently in terms of sturdiness, inside and out. Every time I take my groceries out when I am home, when I opened the bag I am always greeted with a structural masterpiece of boxes and groceries. The way she layout and stacked my boxes of Ritz crackers and Triscuits. It was a marvel. 🤩 None of the other cashiers/baggers have done anything close to that. Just her and only her. But my god, she always looks grumpy and rude.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,342 Posts
I love how the twitter community and other social media for this one video game is often described as toxic and bad etc by people who are part of it 🤣 just... It's so ****ing cute of them. They haven't seen the things I've seen. This is one of the places I come to escape.

21961 - 21980 of 22473 Posts