Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
21701 - 21720 of 22041 Posts

·
bipolar
17,098 Posts
I remember reading about this Australian artist (Ian Fairweather) who built a raft ages ago and sailed out into the open sea north of Darwin. He was picked up by Indonesian authorities and eventually deported.

I don't think I'm quite that desperate to get back to Bali yet but it's getting close. Watching that video on Youtube this morning didn't help very much either thanks. An Aussie guy about my age was just sitting there quietly on the beach at Sanur having a beer with his wife/gf. Lucky devil.

·
Super Moderator
34,268 Posts
Is it weird that I actually like the mouth numb that Orajel causes? I kinda wish there was something like that for the whole body you could buy in a drug store. Like if I could have my whole body feel like a useless, floppy, numbed arm for 20 minutes or so. :LOL:

·
alien monk
8,616 Posts
I messaged someone that is probably the neighbour that a flatmate signed for their package and just left it on the table.

I just peed an hour ago and now I really need to pee again.

no one seems to think about the climate crisis.

I'm remembering how someone gave the clue cannibal to refer to a robot wearing Indian headwear (feathers) and a tipi lol. in a game of codenames pictures. just say Indian. I said isnt that a bit racist and no one blinked an eye. they didnt get it anyway, they got the robot but not the tipi.

·
alien monk
8,616 Posts
and I'm really hungry too.

·
bipolar
17,098 Posts
One of my neighbor's sneeze sounds like a demon popped up from hell, screams, and goes back down

It's excessive
One of my neighbours makes very concerning noises through the night sometimes. And it always seems to be when a mate of his stays over.

I'm not saying what my wife said is going on in there. She can have a fairly alarming way of putting things sometimes. :oops:

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Pristine green lawns are dumb. Especially in a desert. And ESPECIALLY during an "Exceptional" drought.

Despite a plea from the governor to let our lawns go yellow to conserve water, my mother is far too concerned with the opinions of all the neighbors to let ours go. Since I control the irrigation I'm tempted to just cut way back and deal with the inevitable fallout later. I wonder if we'll even have drinking water in a few years...

Reactions: Ai

·
Just a bit stitious
4,719 Posts
Wondering how long it will take before someone says something...anything??!! Pretty good bet that when they do get around to it....that it is not going to go well. Past experiences give me little to no faith that it will be handled appropriately. This is my boss I am talking about and its at the 24 hour mark so far of inaction.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,012 Posts
The Cardiff and Merthyr Guardian 9 February 1855 said:
Ann Williams, a good-looking girl of light fame, was charged by P.C. Rutter with promenading Bute-street, about nine o'clock on Sunday morning, habited in the garb of a sailor. The prisoner appeared before the magistrates in the disguise which she wore when taken into custody, which consisted of a monkey jacket, canvass trousers, & cap - witness demanded to know the reason why she adopted the masculine attire, the prisoner replied that she wanted a glass of grog. She was then taken into custody, as it was desirable to put a stop to these antics, owing to the constant usurpation of the masculine prerogative by the members of the frail sisterhood. The girl's appearance appeared to afford much amusement to the spectators. - Committed for fourteen days.
Cardiff and Merthyr Guardian 13 December 1856 said:
Ann Amos aged 17, one of the unfortunate girls of the town, was charged with disorderly conduct in Bute-street. She had been found attired in sailor's clothes. Since the Mayor's caution to these unfortunate characters to keep out of the public streets has appeared, many of them have adopted the male costume, for the purpose of continuing in their abandoned and wretched course.

·
Banned
Somewhere else.
64 Posts
The sailers, to put it lightly, were not pleased.
They needed to throw liquor down their throats because it made it alot more tolerable to deal with the awful living conditions & endless scrubbing of the poop deck. So, in their spite, they started to call the drink "grog." after old grog himself 🧐 :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
34,268 Posts
I hate small keyboards. I don't have particularly big hands (Maybe my fingers are longer than average. I don't really know). I'm just not very coordinated and I never learned to type the right way anyway. I just kind of learned where the keys are hunt and peck style (which isn't super fast but works for me). But yeah. Every time I get a new keyboard it seems like it's smaller than the last one. I also hate using laptops for this reason. (I hate trackpads too and avoid using a laptop because I'd rather use a mouse and I don't have a bluetooth mouse). I think I am going to get a bluetooth mouse though because I saw one the other day for $15. Trackpads are the work of the devil.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,012 Posts
autism isn’t all trains and maths sometimes you develop a special interest in the church at age 14 and end up wearing white robes and carrying the cross each week
at 14, I think my major special interests were Vampires, Lord of the Rings and The Sims lore and Norse Mythology - but I was just "the weird child" and did get DX till my 30s, while my brother was very much Trains and Maths and got his at 4. Upside-down face
Yeah it's a problem. I think media representation has gotten a bit better, or there was one good example - Abed who relates everything back to TV:

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,012 Posts
The sailers, to put it lightly, were not pleased.
They needed to throw liquor down their throats because it made it alot more tolerable to deal with the awful living conditions & endless scrubbing of the poop deck. So, in their spite, they started to call the drink "grog." after old grog himself 🧐 :unsure:
I found the way they wrote those articles funny like 'frail sisterhood' and 'continuing in their abandoned and wretched course.'

It's interesting though, someone on twitter posted a few anecdotes and then linked to a pdf from Wales of a bunch of newspaper clippings about cross dressing, people living as the opposite sex and homosexual people in Wales in the 1800s. Mostly centred around sailors. Also Ann seems to be a super common name:

Example 5:

A female sailor - On Thursday last, a young woman, named Susan Brudon, was brought before the bench for masquerading in male attire. The renegade appeared garbed in canvas trousers, serge shirt and cap, rigged out like a sailor in every respect, and she certainly personified a smart Jack Tar so as to disarm the slightest suspicion. One of the officers somehow gained intelligence of her secret, and when he met her on Wednesday evening last, she was gallanting another lass about the town, and seemed to act the sailor throughout. Her poll was cut short, and presented quite "a nobby head of hair." In her defence she pleaded that she had personified the sailor for the last 15 months, in avocation as well as in appearance. From her representations, she had been on several foreign voyages, and the last she made was in the Eliza of Newport. Whether her sex was discovered during the voyage or not, we have not heard - neither did she state the case which induced her to relinquish the attire and pursuits of her sex, and expose herself to the hardships incidental to a mariner's life. It might have been merely a great desire to obtain more money than she might earn on shore, or a more romantic object. Possibly, this Susan, like her compeer, the "black-eyed," might have had a "bold William" who induced her alike to forswear her sex, habits, and pursuits.
I don't understand these references.

Example 13:

A female sailor - Singular case - Ann Stuart, aged 18, without bonnet, shoes or stockings, was brought up by sergeant Giffard on the following charge: It appears at a very early hour this morning the prisoner made her appearance at the Police-station and sat down among several vagrant men, and whilst conversing with them she said she had served two years and a half on board ship as a sailor, and as there were French and American vessels lying in the docks here, if she could get a jacket and a pair of men's trousers she would go for a sailor again. She said she had no friends, and if she could not go to sea she would drown herself, for she was tired of the life she was then leading. Sergeant Giffard then took the prisoner into custody on the latter charge. He said she had been before the magistrate of the Thames Police-court, London, and the master of the vessel she had sailed in had been compelled to pay her her wages as a sailor. The magistrates asked the prisoner where she came from, and she replied that Scotland was her native place, but she had been walking through the country, and that accounted for her appearance at Cardiff. The magistrates ordered the prisoner to be detained at the Workhouse.
Another Anne different spelling though lol:

Anne Bonny - Wikipedia

Humans actually usually choose pain over boredom.

·
Just a bit stitious
4,719 Posts
Still no word from my boss. Maybe I am being unreasonable in thinking she should have at least acknowledged it...I don’t know. Or maybe she is waiting for our conference call next week. An acknowledgement of some kind would be nice though. Corporate I get not saying anything but my boss should.

21701 - 21720 of 22041 Posts