Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've realized that when I am anxious, I sort of forget to breathe.

My doctor showed me how to practice diaphragmatic breathing in a really exaggerated, almost meditative way. I read about a different technique that resembles normal (i.e. not TOO deep) relaxed breathing, but still with both the chest and stomach expanding and contracting.

Two questions for anyone who practices breathing exercises:

1) Do you take extraordinarily deep breaths and let them out really slowly? Or do you just concentrate on "normal" relaxed breathing?

2) Has practicing breathing when you aren't anxious helped you breathe diaphragmatically when you are anxious?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I practice breathing techniques when I am anxious - I take an exaggerated breath and hold it for a few seconds - I then let it out in two-three bursts: exhale some, hold a second, exhale more, hold a second, then exhale remaining breath slowly.
Sometimes, if I have been very anxious and haven't been breathing well, this will give me a moment of light headedness and a bit of a rush, sort of like endorphines. It can be very effective in calming myself without anyone really realizing I'm doing anything.
I also will practice taking slightly larger, regulated and slow breaths for an extended period if I am having trouble relaxing and going to sleep (sort of like what they teach in yoga). I don't notice that I do either of these things unconsiously (when I'm not anxious) even though I've been practicing them both for a few years.

Good luck to you!

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
I do the opposite. I merely "watch" my breathing, I don't try and control it. Sometimes it's really tight, and sometimes it loosens up, but by simply being aware, I (eventually) gently let the psychosomatic knots undo themselves. Vipassana approach.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi.

lostsockmonkey said:
I've realized that when I am anxious, I sort of forget to breathe.
I do the exact same thing lostsockmonkey. I like to do some breathing exercises on a daily basis normally for around 10minutes. I also play some relaxing music in the background and try to take my mind off things.

outOfThisWorld

1 - 4 of 4 Posts