Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend, I plan on researching therapists in my area that deal with SAD and finally trying to get my life on track. This is REALLY difficult for me. I've never had therapy before and I'm almost 40. I keep telling myself stuff like: your too old to get help, you can't afford it, you'll get the wrong therapist that doesn't understood SAD, your boss will find out and think your crazy, your family will think your crazy, you'll be exposed as the nut case they all thought you were anyway, it won't work with your work schedule, you'll be considered weak, you've lived with it for 40 years it won't change anyway so why bother etc, etc. WHEW! Can anyone out there give me some words of encouragement to just pick up that phone and make the first step. This is SO hard for me. Ughhhh! Thank you in advance.

·
My head looks huge...
78 Posts
Hi :) It can be a bit annoying trying to find a good therapist. Your best bet might be looking for one who specializes in cognitive-behavioral therapy (I think that's what it's called)--they seem to have more insight into SAD. And don't feel like a nutcase, by the way...countless people see therapists. If anyone calls you crazy for it, they're probably one of those types who sees everything in terms of "normalcy". Just ignore them.

Anyway, welcome! (that probably sounds a bit odd, since I'm new here, too) :)

Edit: It just now occurred to me that it says something similar in the "treatment options" section of this website. Excuse the repetitiveness >.<

·
JNM123
30 Posts
Dont worry about what they think. If it helps don't even tell anyone that you arent close to. Nothing wrong with a little shrinkage I happen to indulge in it myself, and i'm only 21! Just say it's a doctors appointment and if anything make them feel bad and wonder why you're going to the doctor so much. haha. j/k

·
Banned
177,222 Posts
Hey QuietArtist welcome. :)

·
Improving
987 Posts
Hi QuietArtist. Welcome to SAS!

I can tell you from experience that it is not too late for you to change. I thought so too in the beginning but have gotten much better since then and I am older than you. I still have a ways to go but am far better off than when I started.

I also had trouble making that first phone call to a therapist but now I am SO GLAD that I did make it. You should look for a therapist who has experience with CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) as mentioned by Clearly Obscure. This is the most successful therapy technique for social anxiety. There are also new medications that are sucessful in reducing anxiety but I would recommend trying therapy first and using meds only if therapy alone doesn't work for you (I needed meds in conjunction with my therapy but the combination has worked wonders).

It can get expensive to get the therapy if you don't have insurance that covers it but it is worth the cost if you can manage it. It also takes a lot of effort on your part as you do have to face your fears but it is done in small steps so it is not so difficult.

Make that phone call !!!

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you, BrokenDreams. After reading your post, I actually feel more emboldened to make that phone call. Sounds stupid but it feels like trying to work up the courage to call a girl on the phone like back in the days of high school. It's like I have to psych myself up for this.

·
Registered
154,228 Posts
Welcome, QuietArtist! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.