Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please excuse my stupidity on this subject.- I'm trying to get to the bottom of a problem- But,I'm severly hampered by my abundant lack of technical understanding - I don't know the correct terminology to use,so please be patient with me. If a website has been completed what is the next step to putting it on the web - so anyone with the correct web address can view it?? We have a "friend" - who is supposedly a tech.whiz-I think he's mostly a moron! - Anyway he completed the website and we accessed it thru the URL.- He always has some lame excuse for why it is'nt on the web available to anyone.He's to busy,etc.etc. I would like to bypass him and figure out how to get it where anyone can see it. Is it really that difficult? I'm trying to understand the real issue but can't get a straight answer from the moron.--Could you help me please?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hang on, what do you mean it's completed? And why can only you see it? Where is he holding it? What's the URL? Is it a subdomain or a domain?

·
Old Fogie
419 Posts
Is this related to your previous threads? If so, it sounds to me like your friend has a host for this website but does not yet have a domain name for it. Or it's possible that he is running it on his own home server and supplying you with his IP number (or a temporary name supplied by a dynamic DNS service which points to his home server) as the url. If the former is true then the next step is to get a domain name. If the latter is true then you need a host and a domain name. Can you supply us with the url you are using?

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I promise this is the last time I'll post about this! I'm starting to make myself a little nuts with all this! - Let me explain - We have a "friend" who owes us quite a bit of money.- He promised to pay back part of the debt by creating a website for us. - This has been promised for at least two years.- He is supposed to be a genius when it comes to computers.- He has pushed us off constantly.- About 2 months ago he at least did the website- it was'nt great but at least it was something. Since that time I believe he has let the domain name(??) lapse-This is'nt a big deal as I understand it's a small fee. The problem is it was never able to be accessed except thru the URL- (Hope I'm not getting my terminology confused).-He has his own servers- I don't understand why it was'nt able to be accessed by anyone at that time- He kept saying he was to busy,had too many meetings to prepare for etc. Is it very difficult and time consuming to actually get a site on the web for access to everyone?? I really hate this guy - but he obviously has the upper hand in this situation.- It's easy to appear to be an authority on a subject when dealing with those who know nothing about it.

·
Old Fogie
419 Posts
Is it very difficult and time consuming to actually get a site on the web for access to everyone??
No, especially not for computer geniuses who have their own servers.

but he obviously has the upper hand in this situation
Yeah, that appears to be your problem. I learned a long time ago that loaning money to a friend can be a good way to loose a friend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts