Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Avernus
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This could easily be in the frustration forum, but since it's a rant about trying to be healthy, I hoped it'd fit here, too.

I'm wondering if I'm just in the wrong general group of people or if this is true throughout most of the USA.

Do you find that pursuing optimal health is as self-isolating as it feels for me? Since I have attempted to drastically reduce and eventually void my alcohol consumption, cigarette smoking, and meat intake I don't really have anything in common with many people here (certainly everyone I know). Granted, I am 24 and everyone I know is in college: apparently the perfect time for wrecklessness and partying.

I used to happily join in on the debauchery, but these past months have led me to reconsider the way I treat my body. I have asthma and am prone to alcoholism (it runs in my family), and so have decided to act accordingly, instead of like I have a death wish.

I only know people who smoke cigarettes. Literally, every single acquaintance I've made over the past few years has been a smoker. Where are all the non-smokers, huh? What's that about cigarette smoking on the decline? I haven't seen it here; it seems like everyone smokes.

I also have not been able to find a single weekend outing that didn't involve going out and drinking alcohol. Am I just looking in the wrong place, or is almost everyone in the 20-25 age group a drinker?

It seems I was really the only person concerned about my past behavior, aside from a few older people who'd been through the rigor of youthful past times themselves. "Been there, done that, have the chemotherapy to prove it." kinda thing.

Oh, and no one likes to exercise anymore. It seems 'hanging out' with college friends usually consists of sitting in front of the television watching mindless @!&U! and/or smoking a joint.

I feel like I may never make friends during these years if I remain devoted to my new insights. It might be easier to avoid alcohol/drug use if I found friends at a church, but I'm by no means religious and this seems like it would pose problems, as well.

559 Posts
I can relate. Back when I could say I had friends in uni, I experienced this some. Also, my family isn't very health conscious which has had an effect on me and my ability to commit to a healthier lifestyle due to my living with them which stresses me out and can discourage me, or have the temptations they induce on me pose problems. I know how you feel, it's frustrating.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Actually I find among my friends I'm the weirdo for not being a vegetarian/vegan. I don't mind eating at vegan restaurants but it sure makes it hard to go out to eat to find something that suits them. That, and it's really expensive to eat at those places.

I really never noticed the drinking problem. I've never been able to drink due to being on a benzo so I'm really used to being the only sober one around. It's fine until people get drunk...then it's rather irritating.

·
Avernus
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you can't find new friends in the 20-25 age group because you say they are all drinking why not looking for slightly older people above 25?
That's a good idea, except it's hard to meet those at college. I've been thinking about attending AA meetings again...to find people as determined to quit drinking as me.

I have alcohol problems. It might be some of the reason why this bothers me so much. I have to quit if I want to stop drinking myself to death. So far so good...but the casual way most drinkers approach it makes things really hard. Difficult to say "I can't drink with you because I'm a f*cking alcoholic."

·
Avernus
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually I find among my friends I'm the weirdo for not being a vegetarian/vegan. I don't mind eating at vegan restaurants but it sure makes it hard to go out to eat to find something that suits them. That, and it's really expensive to eat at those places.

I really never noticed the drinking problem. I've never been able to drink due to being on a benzo so I'm really used to being the only sober one around. It's fine until people get drunk...then it's rather irritating.
Ah I wish I could find friends like that. Not many vegans/vegetarians where I live. The expenses could get really irritating if you're not veg, though. I can't afford to eat out that much!

I wonder how much of my problem is just my "social circle". People definitely seem to group according to lifestyle, and mine was very similiar to theirs not too long ago. It's making changes that seem to be the hardest. If I was already established as what I want to be, I might just naturally gravitate toward non-drinkers/smokers (the drinking and smoking is the biggest issue for me right now, not so much the eating.)

·
Avernus
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can relate. Back when I could say I had friends in uni, I experienced this some. Also, my family isn't very health conscious which has had an effect on me and my ability to commit to a healthier lifestyle due to my living with them which stresses me out and can discourage me, or have the temptations they induce on me pose problems. I know how you feel, it's frustrating.
Yeah, my family's the same way. Thankfully, I don't live near them anymore, so it doesn't affect my daily life as much. I am very used to considering junkfood "healthy", though...that's what my parents did. I'm having to teach myself proper nutrition.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Eating healthy sucks. It takes so much time, effort and money compared to just eating out and snacking. I always had a fast metabolism so I never had to watch what I eat but I am being more health conscious lately.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
The drinking probably is harder to get used to if you've done it yourself and have to adjust to being the only sober one. But you can adapt. :) The smoking would be annoying. The friends I have that smoke often have to leave the pub we're at en masse "to get a smoke...wanna come?" and no I kind of don't! : p

And yeah, eating out is totally expensive. Worse when it's vegan and the restaurants know the options are limited so they can jack up prices.

·
Registered
836 Posts
This could easily be in the frustration forum, but since it's a rant about trying to be healthy, I hoped it'd fit here, too.

I'm wondering if I'm just in the wrong general group of people or if this is true throughout most of the USA.

Do you find that pursuing optimal health is as self-isolating as it feels for me? Since I have attempted to drastically reduce and eventually void my alcohol consumption, cigarette smoking, and meat intake I don't really have anything in common with many people here (certainly everyone I know). Granted, I am 24 and everyone I know is in college: apparently the perfect time for wrecklessness and partying.

I used to happily join in on the debauchery, but these past months have led me to reconsider the way I treat my body. I have asthma and am prone to alcoholism (it runs in my family), and so have decided to act accordingly, instead of like I have a death wish.

I only know people who smoke cigarettes. Literally, every single acquaintance I've made over the past few years has been a smoker. Where are all the non-smokers, huh? What's that about cigarette smoking on the decline? I haven't seen it here; it seems like everyone smokes.

I also have not been able to find a single weekend outing that didn't involve going out and drinking alcohol. Am I just looking in the wrong place, or is almost everyone in the 20-25 age group a drinker?

It seems I was really the only person concerned about my past behavior, aside from a few older people who'd been through the rigor of youthful past times themselves. "Been there, done that, have the chemotherapy to prove it." kinda thing.

Oh, and no one likes to exercise anymore. It seems 'hanging out' with college friends usually consists of sitting in front of the television watching mindless @!&U! and/or smoking a joint.

I feel like I may never make friends during these years if I remain devoted to my new insights. It might be easier to avoid alcohol/drug use if I found friends at a church, but I'm by no means religious and this seems like it would pose problems, as well.
There's nothing wrong with drinking if you can do it in moderation, and there's simply nothing wrong with eating meat. Go out every once in a while and def eat your meat.

·
Avernus
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There's nothing wrong with drinking if you can do it in moderation, and there's simply nothing wrong with eating meat. Go out every once in a while and def eat your meat.
Erm......

Responses like this are why it's so ridiculously impossible being surrounded by people who live different lifestyles than me. I'd be fine with them if they'd stop trying to make me like them, capisce?

·
Registered
249 Posts
i still remember the first time i told one of my friends that i had quit smoking... she didn't say "awesome!" or "good for you!"... she said "why would you do that!?" it was kind of like a slap in the face. in the case of drinking its even worse, because oftentimes whole friendships are based on using alcohol together. the best thing to do would probably be to simply find new friends.... but i realize thats not easy at all. unfortunately thats the way that substance use usually works.

on the other hand, you needn't give up completely. the friend i mentioned not only eventually supported me in quitting, but also followed my lead in taking on an exercise program and trying to get in shape. if your friends are receptive to it you can probably influence them to take on healthier habits. i suppose it depends on their mentality.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Erm......

Responses like this are why it's so ridiculously impossible being surrounded by people who live different lifestyles than me. I'd be fine with them if they'd stop trying to make me like them, capisce?
If you want to be healthy you should eat meat. And drinking moderately won't affect your health. None of that is unhealthy. I'm not telling you to live a different lifestyle.

If you don't want to do that simply because you don't want to do it that's fine, but realize that you can do both and still be healthy.

Edit: I've seen the alcoholism part. If you don't want to drink, that's probably a good idea. I still hold my same stance on meat though.

·
Avernus
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you want to be healthy you should eat meat. And drinking moderately won't affect your health. None of that is unhealthy. I'm not telling you to live a different lifestyle.

If you don't want to do that simply because you don't want to do it that's fine, but realize that you can do both and still be healthy.

Edit: I've seen the alcoholism part. If you don't want to drink, that's probably a good idea. I still hold my same stance on meat though.
Well, I think eating less meat actually is healthier. Is it necessary to be a vegetarian/vegan for health, cutting it out completely? No, I don't think so. There are other reasons why I want to remove it from my life completely.

Most commercially sold meat is unhealthy. Terrifyingly so: pumped with hormones and antibiotics to cover up the fact that it's complete junk. Some additive-free and/or organic meat could actually be considered food, though. To eat that meat on a regular basis I would be forking over high dollars, and vegetarian eating is so much less expensive.

And the only thing in meat that is truly a challenge to get with a diet of plant foods is vitamin B12. Since I'm lacto-ovo for the time being, I can find that in eggs/fortified foods. I'm not really missing anything.
Protein is fairly easy to get from plants, if you're eating enough of the right foods.

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,712 Posts
eating healthy 24/7 for me is a depreszing chore I rather not be food concious.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Well, I think eating less meat actually is healthier. Is it necessary to be a vegetarian/vegan for health, cutting it out completely? No, I don't think so. There are other reasons why I want to remove it from my life completely.

Most commercially sold meat is unhealthy. Terrifyingly so: pumped with hormones and antibiotics to cover up the fact that it's complete junk. Some additive-free and/or organic meat could actually be considered food, though. To eat that meat on a regular basis I would be forking over high dollars, and vegetarian eating is so much less expensive.

And the only thing in meat that is truly a challenge to get with a diet of plant foods is vitamin B12. Since I'm lacto-ovo for the time being, I can find that in eggs/fortified foods. I'm not really missing anything.
Protein is fairly easy to get from plants, if you're eating enough of the right foods.
Hormones aren't that bad. It's very, very, very unlikly you will get cancer or something like that from meat. However, the processed meats are different. They're actually bad for you. You can still get cheap grass fed meat though and the saturated fat on animals can actually be good for you. I spend around 300-200 dollars a month on groceries and I eat grass fed meat.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts