Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is it? I've always thought I was pretty smart. Lately though, more than ever, my memory, ability to think quickly, and ability to verbally and clearly express my thoughts have been awful. I'm supposed to be so good at accou'nting because I always get straight A's, but my sister is taking an introductory acct course and when she asks me questions I have no idea how to help. It's probably a combo of my inattentive ADD and SA.

The only time I am actually able to learn is when I sit down by myself in a quiet environment and learn the stuff at my own pace, in my own way.

Does this mean I'm not smart though? Even if it doesn't prove anything regarding my intelligence, it doesn't matter because any job position or career I get requires quick thinking while under pressure and the ability to be "orally intelligent"

Anyone else experiencing anything like this? You think it's due to SA?

·
Registered
71 Posts
What is it? I've always thought I was pretty smart. Lately though, more than ever, my memory, ability to think quickly, and ability to verbally and clearly express my thoughts have been awful. I'm supposed to be so good at accou'nting because I always get straight A's, but my sister is taking an introductory acct course and when she asks me questions I have no idea how to help. It's probably a combo of my inattentive ADD and SA.

The only time I am actually able to learn is when I sit down by myself in a quiet environment and learn the stuff at my own pace, in my own way.

Does this mean I'm not smart though? Even if it doesn't prove anything regarding my intelligence, it doesn't matter because any job position or career I get requires quick thinking while under pressure and the ability to be "orally intelligent"

Anyone else experiencing anything like this? You think it's due to SA?
Have you gotten a diagnosis of inattentive ADD?

Did you generally do well in school in the past? If you haven't been having this issue your whole life, in all likelihood your issues are caused by emotional issues. I learned that anxiety shuts down part of our brain so we are not able to "think quickly", or have diminished ability to "verbally and clearly express our thoughts". Maybe you can try doing something to lessen your anxiety, and see if these things improve. You can talk to your physician about it and see what he thinks about it too.

929 Posts
Tests (legit proper testing, not some crap online IQ test) have revealed my intelligence to be above average and back in school teachers would always tell me I had a ton of potential.

Despite all that, I face those problems you bring up and I think it's partly to do with SA..
Sometimes I'll be able to express my thoughts in a rather articulate manner and I can come up with creative solutions for problems.
Other times, I come across (at least, in my own head I feel this way) as a borderline retard. I'll forget words and talk really slowly almost as if I'm thinking too hard to get even the most basic of words out.

However, an average intelligence/below average intelligence individual (of which there are plenty in this world) will often/perhaps even always be stumped when it comes to being articulate and able to solve problems anyway.
They simply lack the cognitive ability in the first place, while we (the above average) at least have it, even if it may not be consistent.
I know people that have trouble doing even the most basic of math in their head (literally being stumped over something as simple as 7x15 for e.g) and despite being my age, even when given the time to think about what they want to express they have shockingly poor vocab. Even in my worst moments, I know I'm not quite that bad.

I would say that a truly SCARY SMART person (I wouldn't put myself in that category, I'm above average but hardly gifted) is generally almost always able to articulate themselves well, but I think the most important difference between them and the average Joe/jane is their ability to come up with solutions in a way that doesn't just revolve around book smarts.
A kind of natural, inherent ability really, whereas it would seem the 'only' above average people rely more on book smarts for many things (since after all a more intelligent person is more inclined to seek wisdom and knowledge than the average joe/jane) since they aren't at that much much higher level which would allow them to consistently come up with a genuinely new and creative idea/solution to a problem rather than just merely something they may have memorized in a book.
Of course, not saying the book smarts aren't there, there's plenty of that, but they definitely have an extra something the vast majority of us don't have.

·
Registered
589 Posts
There's a lot of different kinds of smart out there. I felt and was always told I was smart so I thought that was the be all end all. It wasn't until we started playing current events in social studies class that I realized there were dynamics of smartness, some of which I did not possess.

In my life it has become harder to get things into my long-term memory in general these past several years. I do believe it has to do with depression. The ability or inability to articulate yourself would have more to do with SA, yes. So even setting aside that there are different kinds of intelligence, yes, depression and SA can negatively effect cognitive ability in general.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Smart applies to every area of the brain, however we tend to focus on the sciences, or math as being "smart". I'm in the minority (maybe the only person) who believes that intelligence applies to areas like athleticism, art, and music. Because if you've ever played a sport, or watched a pro play their sport it's amazing to see the control they have over their bodies, their ability to respond in milliseconds, or their ability to apply just the right amount of pressure in order to catch the ball.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Eh, I've come to find intelligence has little to do with education...

"True intelligence", as you call it, is just something some people have and some people don't. Then again, I'm more of a philosopher than an academic.

Luckily, I've come to find more often then not people who say they are stupid, actually aren't. So don't worry. A truly stupid person is someone ignorant on themselves and their level of intelligence, among other things.

·
Coughing Neon
123 Posts
Yes. Like you I have inattentive ADD.

I was actually going to start a similar thread about getting dumber.

I don't think as quickly as I once did, forget facts/names regarding even things I'm interested in, and struggle to express my thoughts.

It is possible that I've always been this way when my depression was bad but I'm only just now realizing it.

At any rate, I don't think it has as much to do with intelligence as it does bad brain chemistry.

·
Banned
928 Posts
Yes. Like you I have inattentive ADD.

I was actually going to start a similar thread about getting dumber.

I don't think as quickly as I once did, forget facts/names regarding even things I'm interested in, and struggle to express my thoughts.

It is possible that I've always been this way when my depression was bad but I'm only just now realizing it.

At any rate, I don't think it has as much to do with intelligence as it does bad brain chemistry.
I have this exact same problem, so it is refreshing to know I am not the only one. If there is any insight on how to better yourself from this condition, suggestions would be very helpful.

·
(/・・)ノ 
1,840 Posts
I always felt ahead of people academically in high school, save for math. Now in college, I feel like a complete idiot, especially since I go to a very unimpressive college and still can't compete. People are blazing trails.. making iPhone apps, starting companies, becoming research scientists and I'm still sitting here at the start line.

I feel like I lost my identity as an intelligent person and now I don't know what to do with myself.

·
Coughing Neon
123 Posts
^ What you described is part and parcell to moving up to the next level in anything, really.

Each time, people are redistributed in a larger pool and often end up in a lesser role than that of the lower level. Only the truly exceptional stay at the top.

I would focus on trying to be content with where you're at, knowing that you are an intelligent person when it comes down to it.

·
(/・・)ノ 
1,840 Posts
^ What you described is part and parcell to moving up to the next level in anything, really.

Each time, people are redistributed in a larger pool and often end up in a lesser role than that of the lower level. Only the truly exceptional stay at the top.

I would focus on trying to be content with where you're at, knowing that you are an intelligent person when it comes down to it.
That's a good point. I've been told I have incredibly self-destructive thinking patterns. I need a friend in real life like you who can point out the pragmatic way of seeing things.

Maybe there's an iPhone app for that.

·
Registered
96 Posts
When I think of "true intelligence," I think of intense, unrelenting curiosity. It doesn't show off or belittle. It has the humility to constantly seek a better understanding and to welcome correction of its mistakes. True intelligence never feels smart enough, because there is always so much more to learn.

Just because you're struggling to teach the basics doesn't mean you're unintelligent. Teaching is a skill you have to work at. It takes a lot of imagination and compassion and patience. You might need to review the information, yourself. Maybe your sister is just hopeless at accounting. I don't know.

I don't think you need to be reassured that you're intelligent. I think you need to prove it. Not to us, or to the teachers who gave you As, but to yourself.

The above poster's advice is a great recipe for mediocrity: "just be content where you're at." I don't mean get down on yourself, or belittle where you're at, but always strive to do better. Intelligence is more of an attitude than it is a gift.

Don't worry about jobs and careers or being "orally intelligent." (From what I can tell, that just means you know how to kiss ***, anyway.) Don't dis-empower yourself by blaming things on your acronyms. Focus on what you can improve through your own effort.

Sorry if I'm coming off as harsh. I'm talking to myself as much as I'm talking to you.

·
Registered
174 Posts
This is just like me. When I'm on the phone, I often forget what I'm gonna say which makes me feel really stupid. My short term memory is crap but my long term memory is good. I left school with pretty good results in my exams. I often forget appointments and dates, find it hard to remember phone numbers (dnt even know my own although I've had it for like 2 years). Someone even suggested I get a diary to write everything down because I always forget appointments. I lose concentration easily and zone out while having conversations and daydream a lot. I've never been diagnosed with anything apart from SA, GAD and depression though.

·
Registered
174 Posts
But I know if I explain this to my doctor, I will probably forget everything I wanted to say and he will probably treat me like I'm stupid anyway.

·
inactive
4,029 Posts
Narcissism isn't an effective indicator of intelligence, articulation is. Of course you think that deep down you're smarter than the vast majority of people. Everyone does.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Narcissism isn't an effective indicator of intelligence, articulation is. Of course you think that deep down you're smarter than the vast majority of people. Everyone does.
Well I was using my IQ as the reason I have always thought I was pretty smart... much smarter than average. So since it's objective I'm not really being narcissistic about it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts