Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a real problem with saying goodbye to people. If I am in a group or out, I will just try and sneak off and even if I am just with one or two people, I have trouble saying goodbye. I don't know why this is. Maybe it is because I don't like being the centre of attention or something but I have actually stayed in situations in a group for much longer than I intented too just trying to work up the courage to say goodbye cause I don't want to leave without saying it as it would seem weird/rude. Anyone else have this?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have this fear too. It takes so much courage to say your good byes in a group gathering situation. I remember my uncle saw me sneaking out once when leaving the family xmas eve party, and he was like "what she's not going to say goodbye to anyone" in an offended tone. All the awkward hugging, and small talk avoided. Oh well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
YES. Awkward!! I hate it - I've tried to sneak off too. I'm sure I come off as rude to people - they've mentioned it before. Gets my pulse rate up saying goodbye. The only good part of a goodbye is knowing I will be OUT of that social situation soon and that is the steam I need to get through it!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Yes, I'm one of those. Pick the whole scenario to bits mentally, everything I should of said and didn't. I hate the kissy kissy goodbyes the most, especially if they are not that close, but still want to smooch.
I've even had the panicky feelings, if I knew I couldnt get out of the kissy goodbyes. argh!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I do that, too, but it's especially hard for me on the phone.

me: Alright, that's really all I wanted. I'll talk to you later.
them: Okay, thanks for calling.
me: Yeah, no problem.
them: Alright then....
me: Yeah...
Them: Okay......
me: yeah, later....
them: .......
me: ................ Alright, bye.

It's dreadful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I really struggle with this and tend to sneak off. My mind becomes blinkered with the thought of just wanting to get away and then I forget sometimes that I even should have said bye. This happened last night and I feel dreadful today. Think I must of come across as dead rude. I've probably caused everyone to hate me now.

·
bill philbertson
404 Posts
YES. Awkward!! I hate it - I've tried to sneak off too. I'm sure I come off as rude to people - they've mentioned it before. Gets my pulse rate up saying goodbye. The only good part of a goodbye is knowing I will be OUT of that social situation soon and that is the steam I need to get through it!
I can relate to the last sentence regarding knowing you'll be out of the situation giving you the impetus needed to get through it! What gets me though is when you feel you've done well in the interaction, then you f&*k up the goodbye. As someone else mentioned the goodbyes that involve kissing and s^&t can also be a problem, especially when I'm not sure what's expected.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.