Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
World Experimenter
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just would like to say that post office usually scares me. Every time I go into one, there's just this whole crowd of people in there, of course they have their own business for being there. But I feel like suddenly as I am in, they are looking at me, inside thinking I look strange for being there. As if I am like a stupid kid who doesn't know what she's doing there, as if I'd be making a fool of myself, whatever reason I am there for.

Same feeling goes for other administrative offices etc... because I don't go to such places often, just when I need to make something done (like post something, handle documents, renew license) - so it feels bad, knowing I am not familiar of what I would be doing.

Anyone else feels this?

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
I don't really comfy in those places either esp when I renew my license. I avoid going to the one here in town to renew my license due to it is always terribly crowded and the witches working there always make people take the written test. I end up going to another town where it is small and never crowded. Also, the guy working there doesn't make anyone take the test. We are allowed to renew our license once by mail and then have to go in person. I have to go in next year and I am not looking forward to it.

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
Yes! I get nervous at post offices. I got so nervous at Christmas that I ended up buying 10 American stamps when I only needed one, and they all had the baby Jesus on them because I was too flustered to ask for the non-religious stamps.

·
Heartbroken
340 Posts
A lot of people don't care for the post office. And after working at the UPS Store for a while now, i know more of why that could be. People pay extra to buy guaranteed services that aren't really guaranteed. People pay for tracking on packages when that's all that happens is it's scanned when you bring it in, and it's scanned when it's delivered, if it is. And if it's not, who knows where it is because it isn't scanned in between. So you pay extra for services that don't live up to their name. Sometimes you encounter rude employees. You almost always have to wait in a long line and there's only one person working the counter. You can pay to have Signature confirmation on your letter, but then you can wave the signature....???? Interesting.

The kicker i got was that if you send an envelope with documents in it with Express service, and it's going somewhere within the state or maybe the states surrounding your state, they will charge you $5 more for using their colorful looking express envelope instead of using a plan old manila envelope/using your own. So see.... using their envelope isn't exactly free some of the time. They won't tell u that though.

Most people don't know what's going on at the post office. They're in the same boat as you are.

·
World Experimenter
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A lot of people don't care for the post office. And after working at the UPS Store for a while now, i know more of why that could be. People pay extra to buy guaranteed services that aren't really guaranteed. People pay for tracking on packages when that's all that happens is it's scanned when you bring it in, and it's scanned when it's delivered, if it is. And if it's not, who knows where it is because it isn't scanned in between. So you pay extra for services that don't live up to their name. Sometimes you encounter rude employees. You almost always have to wait in a long line and there's only one person working the counter. You can pay to have Signature confirmation on your letter, but then you can wave the signature....???? Interesting.

The kicker i got was that if you send an envelope with documents in it with Express service, and it's going somewhere within the state or maybe the states surrounding your state, they will charge you $5 more for using their colorful looking express envelope instead of using a plan old manila envelope/using your own. So see.... using their envelope isn't exactly free some of the time. They won't tell u that though.

Most people don't know what's going on at the post office. They're in the same boat as you are.
Ah, rude people. That's one of the things that scares me most. It's like I think someone's gonna yell at me, "Don't you even know how to do that???"

·
World Experimenter
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah anywhere there's a bunch of people like that I get freaked out. Once in a while I can handle it if I work myself up to it. Took me two days to get through the DMV. The first day it was just too overwhelming with all the people, I wasn't expecting there to be that many so I just grabbed the papers I needed and backed up out the door. I try to go places on off-peak hours. The post office here has these self-serve machines so I'll use those rather than stand in line. Libraries and parks can give me trouble too. I'm much more at ease if it's just a handful of people and they're all too busy to notice me. Wish I had one of those invisiblity cloaks.
Yeah absolutely, library and parks too seem that way to me. I wanna go and read or find a book, but too afraid that people notice me? I wanna go and take a walk or jog, but worried about what people there have to say about that?

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
God i can relate! I feel as if everyone's eyes are on me judging my every move and ears everywhere listening to what i say.

I end up acting awkward and start bumping into people and things.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I don't like post offices either. The people inside them (customers) always look at me as if it's their business about what I'm doing there. It attracts weird mentality.

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Ugh, I hate the post office as well. Thank goodness for stamp vending machines and do-it-yourself postage scales.

The other place I hate is having to go to the town clerk's office to renew my vehicle registration. I live in a one-horse town, so often there are just two people behind the counter, and it's usually very quiet...very awkward!

·
World Experimenter
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
God i can relate! I feel as if everyone's eyes are on me judging my every move and ears everywhere listening to what i say.

I end up acting awkward and start bumping into people and things.
Yeah. The more I think about it, the more it happens. Like, I fear that I look like a total idiot who doesn't even know how to buy a stamp properly, the more I tremble when I am trying to ask when buying for it. It was never really necessary to think about it in the first place...

·
World Experimenter
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ugh, I hate the post office as well. Thank goodness for stamp vending machines and do-it-yourself postage scales.

The other place I hate is having to go to the town clerk's office to renew my vehicle registration. I live in a one-horse town, so often there are just two people behind the counter, and it's usually very quiet...very awkward!
Ahh, I wish there are such machines where I live. :b

Actually, for me too sometimes, too quiet = too awkward, like ah, the people to look at for what they are doing is now just few so more chances that people are looking at me!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts