Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll keep it simple.

I've had something like this before. When you are browsing the web it comes up in place of another page and you really don't even have to click on anything to become it's victim. The first time it was acting like it was an anti-virus and did fake scans but it was extremely obvious. THAT time I was able to restart and enter safe mode and get rid after running MalWare Bytes and AVG. Now I CAN'T enter safe mode (I get a message saying I can't), so I can't get to those programs (obviously I can't run them now). I can't go to Run and do msconfig to enable Safe Mode. I can't download any software, I presume, because I tried DLing Hijackthis just to see. I think I'm at a dead end here. Up until a few minutes ago I wasn't even able to open Firefox, so I'm not sure if I will be able to come here again for responses. If that's how it turns out, I guess I'll have my neighbor over here to help out.

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
i've seen that thing - it comes up randomly when i'm on deviantart. i was assuming it was some new, nasty type of ad. when i tried to close it, it would hang my browser for a while (google chrome), but it would eventually go away. then i realized you can just hit Back to get away from it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
My pc was hijacked by something similar a few years back, it did a virus scan and kept telling me something was found and it would bug me every 30 seconds to download a program. I could not get to most websites and it disabled my anti-virus. The only thing i can suggest other than doing a complete re-install of the operating system is to download adaware or another spyware remover using someone else's computer, copy it to a flash drive and try installing it on your pc. A lot of these programs prevent you from downloading removal tools but you may be able to install them and remove the malicious software. Also if you have windows vista you may be able to run windows defender. If your computer have the ability to roll back the operating system to a time before the trojan invaded you may be able to get rid of it that way (restore point)
Best of luck to you, i know how frustrating these things can be and it is sickening that people enjoy making viruses and trojans just to make other people live harder.

·
fellow human
2,074 Posts
I think some of these trojans get through because of Adobe acrobat. If you can get your computer clean, then disabling the background Acrobat application with msconfig might help in the future.

·
Yup.. it's me!
2,458 Posts
If I feel like something is happening like that I end process in the task manager... and if that doesn't work I manually shut down the computer... in your case it might be best to back up everything and start new..

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
You should be able to enter safe mode. Safe mode is normally initiated before the operating system loads so there is no virus running to stop you. Just hold F8 while your computer is booting before the windows screen loads.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah. It sucks. I don't know what to do. I can't do anything on my computer except open firefox from the start menu and not the icon.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't have a boot disk but my neighbor said he would make me one. I found the original re-installation disk and he said to see what I could do with that, but I am pretty sure that won't do anything. So, I just have to ask him to make me one. I don't know if he really wants to.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If push comes to shove maybe you could just format your computer. Programs I've always used to clear systems and protect them are; malewarebytes, spybot-sd, ccleaner, NOD32 complete internet suite, Firefox with noscript and adblock plus addons.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I actually figured it out myself. I think it was some version of Windows Police Pro. Thanks for the suggestions. I added No Script.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
There is a free program called Malware Bytes (www.malwarebytes.org) that is good at finding things that get through regular anti-virus software. I've got Norton Antivirus and I've had viruses get through a couple of times. Malware Bytes was able to get rid of them. It isn't as good at picking up the little things though, so you still need regular antivirus protection.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Actually, each time that I would see the program come up on my computer, it came about through random Google searches and even on the local newspaper website. The first time I got it was when I had not been on the computer for a while. I came home and it had already taken over.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts