Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We use the add-on software vBSEO in addition to the forum software vBulletin.

They introduced a feature called the "Likes Tree". More info and examples can be seen here: http://www.vbseo.com/f5/likes-tree-finding-forums-most-useful-content-will-change-forever-46360/

The "Tree" will be appear soon, but right now you'll just see the "Like" link and the "_____ likes this".

We are giving it a trial run. I understand it makes some people uncomfortable and that's why it's just a trial.

Please share your feedback as you use it over the next couple weeks.

Thanks,
Drew

Edit:

As others have pointed out, there was a thread where a majority were in favor, not to discount those that were against it:
http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f36/should-we-add-like-functionality-to-sas-130118/

This is just a trial run. I'll start a new poll in a little while for people to vote on it again.

Some options:
- Turn on/off in options
- Turned off by default

Update

Based on your feedback, for now, the "Likes" system will be:
- The "Likes" system is limited to Treatment Review forums, Medication forum, Nutrition forum, Research forum and Announcement forum
- Like notifications have been removed
- Like mini stats on your profile have been removed

I understand that some of you would like to "Like" anonymously, but I feel that part of what will make this useful is seeing who has liked a post. I'm open to debate over this.

Again, this is just a trial.

·
Wonderland
10,600 Posts
Awesomeee the like button is fun to play around with :D I like the like button.

Is their anyway we can get quote notification to turn out like that ?? Instead of in the pm box?

EDIT (cos my post limit STILL has not restored) :p

Is dar a way to make an option to make your liking private? Like if you wanna like .. like someone without like them knowing? ;)

·
Registered
314 Posts
I personally don't like this idea. I fear it will turn SAS into a popularity contest. Members will be inclined to post silly things just to collect more "likes", and it will deter many from posting altogether (this is an SA forum, after all).

·
inactive
4,029 Posts
Hmm. My immediate response was that it'd be an entirely unnecessary feature which would just compound the notion of this forum being based upon popularity with ideals of favouritism and cliqueness. But thinking about it more objectively, those tendencies are inherent in any kind of message board, and this system would only reflect that, rather than advocate it. I think the kind of people who experiences problems with insecurity related to these characteristics (myself included), will feel that way regardless of what system is implemented to display it. Obsession with replies to posts, pictures, and profile views is evidence of that.

I think the whole 'like' thing might be an effective source of validation for those who deserve it. I've had people message me complementing posts I assumed had gone completely unnoticed, and it's an amazingly liberating and fulfilling feeling. Praising informative, funny, or interesting posts could be a quality control measure that means people actually think about what they're saying. It'll promote more consideration, more effort, and more empathy in forum posts. It'll stimulate a greater quality of assistance, and support, on the forum as a whole. And that can only be a good thing.

·
Banned
4,683 Posts
I personally don't like this idea. I fear it will turn SAS into a popularity contest. Members will be inclined to post silly things just to collect more "likes", and it will deter many from posting altogether (this is an SA forum, after all).
I agree. This is a site for help & support, not a rah-rah session.

·
Wonderland
10,600 Posts
^ tis a trial guys- give it time...

Even though I really do think the picture thread, should not have the 'likes' - and a few other sections causing people major anxiety. Some parts of the forum a like and even dislike button would be useful... such as Medication / treatment review...

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
like this if you agree :b :teeth naaaa I kid. Probably have a good point in some regards.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
I like this, I read a lot of posts and find them to be good and now I can let the person know - does one know when a post of theirs is liked?

Reactions: Ventura

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
I personally see this as too much of a distraction. People competing for likes, people getting their feelings hurt when they don't receive a like etc.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I think it's an annoying feature that should be left at Facebook.

·
Being human liek aye baws
425 Posts
This is a cute feature. It should also offer a decrement in the number of "repeat posts" we find on multiple threads, as we can simply "like" a post that we approve toward a situation, as opposed to repost the exact same support. Of course, we can also still post any additional thoughts.

Reactions: Lyrical Lonely

·
inactive
4,029 Posts
People should realise that there was a poll posted a while back (link) and a majority voted in favour. Just so you know it wasn't just blindly implemented.

·
Being human liek aye baws
425 Posts
I personally see this as too much of a distraction. People competing for likes, people getting their feelings hurt when they don't receive a like etc.
An extremely simple solution to this theoretical reaction SA'ers may or may not have is simply to disable the visibility of the Like feature whilst logged into their account, via adding a Toggle On/Off feature on the profile edit page.

EDIT: Of course the solution itself is simple; the coding itself is another issue altogether. :eek:

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
I think like someone up thread said, it should be limited to certain forums though.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
I agree. This is a site for help & support, not a rah-rah session.
You're right - it could be taken that way.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.