Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trapped in my room again. Cannot WAIT to move out in 2 weeks into my own place FINALLY, after having roommates for the past 4.5 years, each year a new set.

The past 3 sets of roommates were all pretty bad, except the first set, as I was actually friends with them, but THIS set is getting on my last nerve.

Let's just say that, yes, I can be difficult to live with. I want to do what I want to do, when I want to do it.

I tend to AVOID social interaction when I get home from work AT ALL COSTS and eat my dinner in my room.

It didn't use to always be like that. My previous roommates used to be out of the house more and wouldn't tend to be around as much as these CURRENT roommates.

The current roommates are a guy and girl couple. I used to live with the guy half of the couple and another guy before the one guy moved out and current guy's girlfriend moved in.

Don't get me wrong. They are essentially very nice people, but they are just ALWAYS ****ING HOME. NO MATTER WHAT.

Every day I come home PRAYING that I'll see the lights turned off downstairs, but NOPE, every single freaking time, LIGHTS ON. I walk in, say "Hey guys" and take my bag of food and some glasses of water and a plate upstairs and shut the door.

I then have a buildup of trash and dishes over the week that I sometimes leave piled on my floor or slide under my bed or in my closet, that I have to then strategically throw out on the weekend when they go out shopping or to brunch or whatever. Either way, it's a small window of time and I always feel like they are about to come home any second and see my giant pile and catch me in the act (they almost have a few times, but I have always managed to race back up the stairs in time).

The weekends where they do go somewhere for the whole weekend are ABSOLUTE ****ING BLISS and I can't even tell you how much the atmosphere in the house changes. I feel like a normal person again.

Sometimes, I am able to break through and hang out downstairs with them, but it's been getting harder and harder to do so, especially b/c I know that the girl roommate has walked into my room before when I had forgotten to push all the mess under my bed.

I overheard her talking about it to my guy roommate when they thought my door was shut.

I just hate that they probably think I'm some weirdo, when the fact is I am SO far from the person that I have turned into lately. I know it must come off as uptight and antisocial and I have told them before that I just need some alone time after being around people all day at work, but HERE IS THE THING.

I just wish they would go upstairs to their room sometimes when I come home instead of staying on the couch EVERY ****ING NIGHT and watching The Bachelor or The Walking Dead or Survivor. Like, can I please have the ****ing living room area TO MYSELF for once? And they have said essentially that much to me, like, "Let us know if you want the TV, etc", but I never do, b/c I can't exactly tell them "Hey, by the way, can you go upstairs and not stay down here with me, b/c being around you is physically painful right now?"

I hate what I've become over the past few months as this has intensified to a degree I've never known before. I truly think it is because they are CONSTANTLY here and I never have a break.

We are all moving out in 2 weeks, since they want their own place as a couple, and I OF COURSE NEED my own place or I will seriously die, so it's almost over, but HERE I AM YET AGAIN, trapped in my room, while the girl roommate is downstairs, catching up on Once Upon A Time on the DVR, while I am too afraid to go put laundry in downstairs, since I'll have to walk by her.

And forget about trying to cook anything in the kitchen. The thought of having people watching me prepare food and judging what I am eating, having to make small talk, etc, etc, is just too painful.

It is different if I'm ALREADY doing it and then someone walks in. Still uncomfortable, but I'm already there. Having to actually GO DOWN while there are other people ALREADY established in the area and explain myself or have them watch me is just, UGH!

Am I making any sense?

The funny thing is that I am actually a very social person and really easy to get along with, especially at work and even if my personal life if you are not FORCED UPON ME. If I can come to you on my own terms in a neutral setting, then I'm great! But I seriously feel like I'm dying and have been dying for the past 6 months having to put up with this torture.

I've never seen two people be such homebodies and ALWAYS constantly be around. My previous roommates always were single and would go out of dates, be doing things, etc, and so would I, actually. But now that they are established down there, I feel trapped sometimes even from getting a shower and going out and doing things, b/c I'll have to walk by them and "explain myself." Even just a quick, "hey guys, how are you, going out for a bit, see you later" is kind of torture to me. I just want to slip in and out unnoticed and not have to answer to anyone.

Does anyone else have the same feeling? THANK GOD I've found a great 1 bedroom apt only a short way away and we are all moving in a few weeks. I seriously think I'd die if I don't.

·
I Am Second
57,999 Posts
This reminds me of my college roommates. I would just stay in my single bedroom all the time until they left. When they would leave I could breath. Even going in the cabinets to grab a snack was hell when they were around. I had to time/plan everything just right. It was so hard.

Glad you're finally get your own place, I'm happy for you :).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response and support, Kevin. Oddly enough, I didn't have any of these issues in college, and I had roommates almost the whole time.

The issues really started cropping up when I was about 23 or 24, a year or two after I graduated.

That is when I had my first roommate experience as an adult outside of college, and it literally was exactly the same situation.

I then lived with back with my parents for a year or so, and was fine then, as I never would feel this way around family.

Then I moved into the place I am in now and have been here for almost 5 years. Like I mentioned, some roommates were better than others, but I seriously cannot believe I waited this long to finally move out on my own again.

I CANNOT come soon enough.

Can't wait to to come to an empty house that first day. I know it sounds lonely, but, like my username states, I need my alone time, lol, and then can go out and socialize when I need to and not have it forced upon me!

It is literally the WORST when you are thirsty or need to go downstairs and do something and you literally feel like you physically cannot do so due to your anxiety. Will be so glad to be rid of that.

Also, I truly don't feel like this will be an issue with a significant other or the like, since I will WANT to be around that person. It's just an issue with people who I find kind of annoying and "homebodies" and like they are infringing upon my space.

·
I Am Second
57,999 Posts
Thank you for your response and support, Kevin. Oddly enough, I didn't have any of these issues in college, and I had roommates almost the whole time.

The issues really started cropping up when I was about 23 or 24, a year or two after I graduated.

That is when I had my first roommate experience as an adult outside of college, and it literally was exactly the same situation.

I then lived with back with my parents for a year or so, and was fine then, as I never would feel this way around family.

Then I moved into the place I am in now and have been here for almost 5 years. Like I mentioned, some roommates were better than others, but I seriously cannot believe I waited this long to finally move out on my own again.

I CANNOT come soon enough.

Can't wait to to come to an empty house that first day. I know it sounds lonely, but, like my username states, I need my alone time, lol, and then can go out and socialize when I need to and not have it forced upon me!

It is literally the WORST when you are thirsty or need to go downstairs and do something and you literally feel like you physically cannot do so due to your anxiety. Will be so glad to be rid of that.

Also, I truly don't feel like this will be an issue with a significant other or the like, since I will WANT to be around that person. It's just an issue with people who I find kind of annoying and "homebodies" and like they are infringing upon my space.
I totally relate and agree. No one likes anything "forced". I remember having to be around people 24/7 in a hospital and it was pure hell. No where to breath and calm my thoughts. Well good luck and I'm happy for you :).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts