Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started taking tramadol (a pain medication) when I hurt my neck in a work accident a few years ago. After a while, I noticed that I had been able to enter more social situations without nerves, I could give presentations in school without turning bright red and sweating buckets, and I could relax and sleep with no problems. It gave me a pretty strong sense of euphoria and overall happiness with my life.

Unfortunately, I got so enamored with the effects that I began taking too much and after a few years my doctor cut me off. I feel, though, that this is some sort of miracle drug. I ended up taking a bit too much of it, but when I did take it, my anxiety, insomnia, and physical and mental pain were pretty much eliminated. I'm not sure if it cured my problem or just relaxed me so much that I didn't care about things, but I really had a great experience with it.

Has anyone else had experience with tramadol? I recently read that they're experimenting with using it as an anti-depressant (and I did find it to be better for this than any other prescription anti-depressants I ever took).

It's sad, but I wish every day I still had a big bottle of the stuff. I need to find a new doctor that doesn't care much.

·
Registered
191 Posts
You can order it online for reliability cheap, but careful, it's addicting.

I took 10 a day for two months and experienced crippling insomnia and aching legs when I stopped abruptly. It did help my SA, but only at high doses, which zonked me out and made me sweat profusely.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I have access to literally thousands of tramadol (Ultram) pills and have for the last 9 years. My mother has been using it for arthritis and doesn't need as much as is prescribed, so there are huge amounts left over.

I, unfortunately, do not find it to be a wonder drug. Being desperate to find anything that would work after my seemingly endless med failures, I have tried tramadol. There was a period of several weeks where I took 400 mg daily (the max recommended dose). Dose is limited as this drug can cause seizures at higher levels. I didn't notice any effects at all, neither positive nor negative.

I decided to try a huge single dose to see if that would have any effect. One time I tried 700 mg at once. Another time I tried 800 mg (16 pills) at once. Neither produced any effect at all. I mean absolutely none.

I've read the theory that Ultram could potentially help with anxiety and/or depression since it acts like a cross between a weak SSRIs and weak opioid. Well, that's the theory. Didn't work in practice for me.

As for addictive potential, that's frankly a big load of BS. It's based on 105 complaints that the FDA received after 5 million prescriptions had been written for it in the US. Even the ultra-uptight DEA doesn't make it a controlled substance. Those 105 complaints regarding misused, abuse, addiction were almost entirely from patients with a documented history of opioid addiction problems. I don't think a group of former heroin addicts is at all representative of the general population.

My mother had never found it addictive -- if it was addictive wouldn't she be taking every pill she could get her hands on rather than leaving thousands that I could use? I didn't find it addictive, nor did either of my brothers when they used it for back pain. My late brother, in fact, complained that it caused him dizziness if he took two doses too close together. Since he didn't find being dizzy fun, that would seem to seriously limit any potential for taking too much. (He died of eating a high fat diet that produced obesity and induced a heart attack -- Ultram didn't kill him.)

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have access to literally thousands of tramadol (Ultram) pills and have for the last 9 years. My mother has been using it for arthritis and doesn't need as much as is prescribed, so there are huge amounts left over.

I, unfortunately, do not find it to be a wonder drug. Being desperate to find anything that would work after my seemingly endless med failures, I have tried tramadol. There was a period of several weeks where I took 400 mg daily (the max recommended dose). Dose is limited as this drug can cause seizures at higher levels. I didn't notice any effects at all, neither positive nor negative.

I decided to try a huge single dose to see if that would have any effect. One time I tried 700 mg at once. Another time I tried 800 mg (16 pills) at once. Neither produced any effect at all. I mean absolutely none.

I've read the theory that Ultram could potentially help with anxiety and/or depression since it acts like a cross between a weak SSRIs and weak opioid. Well, that's the theory. Didn't work in practice for me.

As for addictive potential, that's frankly a big load of BS. It's based on 105 complaints that the FDA received after 5 million prescriptions had been written for it in the US. Even the ultra-uptight DEA doesn't make it a controlled substance. Those 105 complaints regarding misused, abuse, addiction were almost entirely from patients with a documented history of opioid addiction problems. I don't think a group of former heroin addicts is at all representative of the general population.

My mother had never found it addictive -- if it was addictive wouldn't she be taking every pill she could get her hands on rather than leaving thousands that I could use? I didn't find it addictive, nor did either of my brothers when they used it for back pain. My late brother, in fact, complained that it caused him dizziness if he took two doses too close together. Since he didn't find being dizzy fun, that would seem to seriously limit any potential for taking too much. (He died of eating a high fat diet that produced obesity and induced a heart attack -- Ultram didn't kill him.)
Sorry, but I think anyone with a half a brain would believe the thousands of anecdotes on the Internet over your claim that it's BS because your mother doesn't find it addicting, and it may not be for her, but how can you deny the thousands of people who claim withdraw symptoms?

Wikipedia says:

Tramadol causes typical opiate-like withdrawal symptoms as well as atypical withdrawal symptoms including seizures. The atypical withdrawal effects are probably related to tramadol's effect on serotonin and norepinephrin reuptake. Symptoms may include anxiety, depression, anguish, electric-shock sensations throughout body, pins and needles, sweating, palpitations, restless legs syndrome, sneezing, insomnia, tremors, among others. In most cases, tramadol withdrawal will set in 12 to 20 hours after the last dose, but this can vary. It should be noted that tramadol withdrawal lasts longer than that of other opioids.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Sorry, but I think anyone with a half a brain would believe the thousands of anecdotes on the Internet over your claim that it's BS because your mother doesn't find it addicting, and it may not be for her, but how can you deny the thousands of people who claim withdraw symptoms?
I stated my opinion regarding level of addictive potential which I deem to be exceedingly low.

Anecdotes on the internet are very highly biased. You're only going to read ones from people that are really pissed as they have the most motivation to write about their experience. Those who experience no addiction aren't at all likely to go out of their way to post "it wasn't addictive at all".

I'm sure you'll also find vastly more forums devoted to alcohol abuse than you will find forums devoted to discussing how non-addictive members have found alcohol to be. If you're not addicted there isn't much to discuss, after all.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Patients who get opioids prescribed to ease the pain caused by a physical disease (like arthritis or cancer...) seldom abuse those drugs.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yes tramadol is a wonderful drug. It is very helpful for SA. When i take 200mg i get a opiod like euphoria. It enhances my mood greatly and whats great is it lasts 8-10 hours unlike other opiates. Its a (hush hush) non addictivd non narcotic ( wink wink). But im telling you its very addicting and ive heard the withdrawl is bad. Its a enjoyable drug but just be careful with it.

·
Banned
1,376 Posts
I took it for artritus for several months and found nothing other than pain relief, its supposed to be a synthetic opiate

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
someone i know (a.k.a. my dealer) was friendly enough to give me a sample of tramadol (free of charge!) without me even asking for anything when i mentioned i had been feeling a bit down that day. he said i'll have to pay for any if i wanted more but what a nice guy for voluntarily giving me another drug for free that happens to be highly addictive, despite me not even wanting to take anything more and him knowing i am already on enough meds.

i don't plan on taking it, i might even get rid of it. i don't want to risk nor do i actually need yet another negative and self-destructive coping habit, i have my favourites for most mental/physical problems i encounter anyway.

·
Banned
545 Posts
THe high from tramadol is quite amazing for a non-narcotic. I just received a 30 day prescrip for them for a kidney infection. Of course immediately I ate 9 of them (50mg each).

It is a wonderful recreational drug, and it has a positive effect on those who are socially anxious. I can vouch for this. It offers an amazing high when abused considering it's a non-narcotic. Very similar to codeine. There is a relatively high addiction rate for abusers. I found myself just last night looking for an online pharmacy to purchase about 180 pills, just to continue getting high. I really enjoy it. I also have friends who are needle junkies who use tramadol as a means of coping with the withdrawal symptoms of heroin.

Basically, it really does have a positive effect for the socially anxious because of it's chemical stucture. It can act similarly to SSRIs, and about an hour after ingestion, it binds to opioid receptors giving a high, near-euphoric effect.

It's quite a complex drug, which I see a lot of benefits from. But I also understand why they are abused.

One of the major issues, though, is that tramadol lowers a person's siezure threshold. And if you take an SSRI, then it further lowers your siezure threshold. However, if you take in conjunction with benzos, the threshold is increased a bit. There are also quite a few withdrawal symptoms.

I see its potential as relief for the socially anxious, but you really have to have the discipline and restraint to use them responsibly as they give quite an enjoyable high when taken in doses over 100mg.

·
Registered
228 Posts
You ate 9! **** thats alot, but anyways they do help my anxiety and also make you a little high at the same time. I know its a big no no talking about online pharmacies but since tramadol is a non narcotic could you get in trouble for ordering them online? The only reason i mention a online pharmacy is i wouldnt be able to convince my psychiatrist a pain pill helps my anxiety ocd and deppresion.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Again I lose. I can't get any effect at all even when I tried 16 pills (800 mg) in a single dose, yet the rest of you are flying high. I never dared go higher than that already probably not-so-prudent amount due to risk of seizure.

I also would not call is an opioid. There is debate as to whether or not it deserves to be classed as such. Putting Ultram in the same class as OxyContin, morphine, heroin and the like seems like putting a BB gun in the same class as a machine gun.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
The SNRI & opioid Tramadol has never done much for me. I tried it out a few times also with the maximum dose, but there were no euphoric or relaxing effects. It does work as a pain killer for me though.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
A cousin of tramadol was recently released as a CII painkiller in the US: http://www.nucynta.com/

It's weird how tramadol isn't a controlled substance yet this related stuff is CII. It was intended to be CIII by its manufacturer, but the powers that be disagreed and stuck it up there with morphine and oxy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes tramadol is a wonderful drug. It is very helpful for SA. When i take 200mg i get a opiod like euphoria. It enhances my mood greatly and whats great is it lasts 8-10 hours unlike other opiates.
Very true. The effects linger for a while, which is the best part of the drug, imo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
THe high from tramadol is quite amazing for a non-narcotic. I just received a 30 day prescrip for them for a kidney infection. Of course immediately I ate 9 of them (50mg each).
I find the high to be better than anything I've taken, to be honest. I haven't used hard drugs or morphine or anything, but SWIM tells me that it's better than marijuana for them... none of the negative effects.

It is a wonderful recreational drug, and it has a positive effect on those who are socially anxious. I can vouch for this. It offers an amazing high when abused considering it's a non-narcotic. Very similar to codeine. There is a relatively high addiction rate for abusers. I found myself just last night looking for an online pharmacy to purchase about 180 pills, just to continue getting high. I really enjoy it. I also have friends who are needle junkies who use tramadol as a means of coping with the withdrawal symptoms of heroin.

Basically, it really does have a positive effect for the socially anxious because of it's chemical stucture. It can act similarly to SSRIs, and about an hour after ingestion, it binds to opioid receptors giving a high, near-euphoric effect.

It's quite a complex drug, which I see a lot of benefits from. But I also understand why they are abused.

One of the major issues, though, is that tramadol lowers a person's siezure threshold. And if you take an SSRI, then it further lowers your siezure threshold. However, if you take in conjunction with benzos, the threshold is increased a bit. There are also quite a few withdrawal symptoms.

I see its potential as relief for the socially anxious, but you really have to have the discipline and restraint to use them responsibly as they give quite an enjoyable high when taken in doses over 100mg.
Thus my problem, I think I have an addictive personality, because as soon as I start feeling the effects my first thought it always, "this is great... if I take more I'll feel even more amazing." Which is true for tramadol, but probably not the best of ideas.

I did get addicted to it, and I think I'm going to get more. I'm really going to try to be more responsible with it this time, and hopefully only take it every few days or when I'm going into a social situation. But it really did treat my social anxiety better than anything I've taken... including xanax, which I found to be mostly worthless.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You ate 9! **** thats alot, but anyways they do help my anxiety and also make you a little high at the same time. I know its a big no no talking about online pharmacies but since tramadol is a non narcotic could you get in trouble for ordering them online? The only reason i mention a online pharmacy is i wouldnt be able to convince my psychiatrist a pain pill helps my anxiety ocd and deppresion.
If he or she is any good at their job, you might be able to. As I said, tramadol is being studied for all of these things with positive results thus far. If you make a good case, s/he might listen. It's worth a try before you resort to other measures.

The SNRI & opioid Tramadol has never done much for me. I tried it out a few times also with the maximum dose, but there were no euphoric or relaxing effects. It does work as a pain killer for me though.
It seems to be different for everyone. People either think it gives amazing euphoria or none at all. I haven't seen middle ground, which probably eliminates placebo explanations. Probably just something about people's chemical makeup that has it affecting them differently.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts