Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Metoprolol is a selective β1 receptor blocker used in treatment of several diseases of the cardiovascular system, especially hypertension.

Due to its selectivity in blocking the beta1 receptors in the heart, metoprolol is also prescribed for off-label use in performance anxiety, social anxiety disorder, and other anxiety disorders.

More info:
User ratings/reviews:

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Used it years ago for high blood pressure. Quite effective at rapidly and dramatically lowering both BP & pulse rate. Doesn't do anything for SA though.

Fine as a BP pill, but rates a zero as a psych med.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have found 25mg per day of Toprol-XL effective at reducing feels of overall stress and anxiety. It's just enough to blunt the edge of any performance anxiety-type of situations I may be in, but not so much that it dulls my ability to feel excited or a little bit of stress. 50 mg made me feel too fatigued I am taking it for high blood pressure, but the anxiety reduction is the main reason I take it.

It doesn't help with making me more outgoing socially, but it does make being in uncomfortable situations more bearable by blocking the adrenaline the body is releasing from reaching the heart and brain.

·
Here and Now
1,189 Posts
Im on this for high blood pressure, I take 50mg 2x a day. I was surprised when i actually felt some anxiety relief after taking it. It helps alot with the racing heart that i would get from anxiety. When im in an anxiety provoking situation, it makes me feel more calm physically. The mental anxiety is still there and just as bad, but no beta blocker is going to help with that part

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used this medication for heart palpitations from my last year of high school into college. It helped with the palpitations but not so much for my anxiety. The anxiety was there just subdued just a little. After a while taking the med, I started to feel numb cause I felt like I had no adrenaline and that made me depressed so I stopped taking it..

·
Master of my domain
1,339 Posts
I was prescribed this for palpitations in stressful situations + I have heart arrhytmias.

I only ever took a few doses of 25 mg cause it seems I'm allergic to metoprolol as I was getting rashes and part of my face got swollen and stuff. But yeah here's my experience: Very effective at lowering the pulse and keeping it steady. I tried stressing myself up but was unable to increase my pulse. Even after some physical exercising my pulse was still very low. So if your main problem is that your heart rushes, this should proof most effective.

However in terms of anxiety overall I cannot say that it was that effective. It did pretty much nothing for my mental anxiety and it only numbed the physical reaction, for instance while on propranolol my hand is completely steady, I still got some tremors on metoprolol. Also I got some bad side effects, dunno what was the med and what was the allergic reaction but aside from the rashes and swelling, I was very tired during the few short days I took it, felt extremely depressed and also my libido completely disappeared all of a sudden. Now I'm guessing some of it may be temporary as your body is adjusting but never the less it was quite unpleasant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts