Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At work today I said Hi to a few people (before they said hi to me).

Some people will say hi back, some people won't acknowledge that your greeting was directed at them, and some people will make small talk with you.

One lady I said Hi to kept chatting with me all day and being very friendly. I avoided a lot of anxiety during the conversations by remembering to smile, laugh, and keep the conversation about her. It worked.

What this teaches me: You have to give an inch to get two inches. Extend yourself to enough people and a friend will pop up before you know it.

This is by no means a monumental achievement, but as a beginner I take a lot of pride in this small step.

·
Digimon Loyalist
2,031 Posts
Hey its great to hear that you're attempting to overcome your anxiety. :high5 :D

·
Registered
760 Posts
At work today I said Hi to a few people (before they said hi to me).

Some people will say hi back, some people won't acknowledge that your greeting was directed at them, and some people will make small talk with you.

One lady I said Hi to kept chatting with me all day and being very friendly. I avoided a lot of anxiety during the conversations by remembering to smile, laugh, and keep the conversation about her. It worked.

What this teaches me: You have to give an inch to get two inches. Extend yourself to enough people and a friend will pop up before you know it.

This is by no means a monumental achievement, but as a beginner I take a lot of pride in this small step.
Congrats.

It's great that you remembered to smile, laugh and maintain interest. Good on you! Was this a practice task from therapy by any chance?

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congrats.

It's great that you remembered to smile, laugh and maintain interest. Good on you! Was this a practice task from therapy by any chance?
Actually this is something I learned by watching some videos on Youtube about social skills and communicating.

From what I've learned, smiling shows the other person that you're comfortable around them, and they'll in turn be comfortable around you. Laughing does this even more. Also, it's always good to take a sincere interest in the other person, because people love to talk about themselves. If you can do this you'll notice that they do most of the talking and you just have to listen and respond. It makes it really easy sometimes.

I watched a video called "how to make friends." They ask: what is a friend? Someone who takes interest in who you are. So to make a friend you have to be a friend. Take interest in the other person and be very sincere about it. If you fake it they will know and will resent you for it.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Actually this is something I learned by watching some videos on Youtube about social skills and communicating.

From what I've learned, smiling shows the other person that you're comfortable around them, and they'll in turn be comfortable around you. Laughing does this even more. Also, it's always good to take a sincere interest in the other person, because people love to talk about themselves. If you can do this you'll notice that they do most of the talking and you just have to listen and respond. It makes it really easy sometimes.

I watched a video called "how to make friends." They ask: what is a friend? Someone who takes interest in who you are. So to make a friend you have to be a friend. Take interest in the other person and be very sincere about it. If you fake it they will know and will resent you for it.
I guess that's why I'm good at making friends because I initiate the convos but the r'ships dissipate once I don't follow through with meet ups and being myself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts