Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if it looks like I'm advertising. Let me know if I can't have the link in this.

I found a twenty dollar online test at http://www.ehealthassessment.com/ that looked pretty legit, so I paid up and took the test, which consists of 600 medical questions I believe. It gives you results in a list which shows how high of a chance there is that you have any of a number of conditions. I received a high rating for depression, hypoglycemia, and adrenal axis stress. I've been looking into adrenal fatigue already, so this slightly reassures me on that front.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this test? I'm going to bring up hypoglycemia and adrenal fatigue to my doctor and see what she wants to do.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Hypoglcemia can be ruled out easily via simple blood tests, 'adrenal fatigue' "is not a medical condition recognized by mainstream institutions". [Wikipedia]

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
By itself, that's a worthless reason to discount a condition.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrenal_fatigue
Adrenal fatigue or hypoadrenia is a putative health disorder in which the adrenal glands are claimed to be exhausted and unable to produce adequate quantities of hormones, primarily cortisol. The term "adrenal fatigue" is a label sometimes applied to a collection of non-specific medically unexplained symptoms, but it is not a medical condition recognized by mainstream institutions. Adrenal dysfunction as identified by such institutions is termed adrenal insufficiency or Addison's Disease.[1]
The term "adrenal fatigue" is used by some practitioners of alternative medicine, who claim that adrenal fatigue is too mild to be picked up on standard blood tests of adrenal function. The concept has given rise to an industry of dietary supplements claiming to treat this supposed syndrome.

·
Registered
423 Posts
That's the same thing you already said in more words. Even though I haven't shown you proof that it does exist, you haven't shown me proof that it does not. Even if it doesn't, at least there are people looking for the solution, instead of treating symptoms their entire life.
You can't ask someone to prove a negative.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can't ask someone to prove a negative.
Some people seem to think that you can't prove a specific sort of negative claim, namely that a thing does not exist. So it is impossible to prove that Santa Claus, unicorns, the Loch Ness Monster, God, pink elephants, WMD in Iraq, and Bigfoot don't exist. Of course, this rather depends on what one has in mind by 'prove.' Can you construct a valid deductive argument with all true premises that yields the conclusion that there are no unicorns? Sure. Here's one, using the valid inference procedure of modus tollens:
1. If unicorns had existed, then there is evidence in the fossil record.
2. There is no evidence of unicorns in the fossil record.
3. Therefore, unicorns never existed.
Someone might object that that was a bit too fast  after all, I didn't prove that the two premises were true. I just asserted that they were true. Well, that's right. However, it would be a grievous mistake to insist that someone prove all the premises of any argument they might give. Here's why. The only way to prove, say, that there is no evidence of unicorns in the fossil record, is by giving an argument to that conclusion. Of course one would then have to prove the premises of that argument by giving further arguments, and then prove the premises of those further arguments, ad infinitum. Which premises we should take on credit and which need payment up front is a matter of long and involved debate among epistemologists. But one thing is certain: if proving things requires that an infinite number of premises get proved first, we're not going to prove much of anything at all, positive or negative.
http://departments.bloomu.edu/philosophy/pages/content/hales/articlepdf/proveanegative.pdf

1 - 7 of 7 Posts