Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it easier to be upset than happy for you? I find myself slipping into depressions and just letting myself get down and dwell it in because trying to cheer myself up just takes too much energy. It's these times that I just don't care anymore.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes, I find that I feel this way too. But it's likely that this is because I've got a whole lot more experience being depressed than happy. We've all got routines that become like second nature to us. If we were positive people, being happy would come more easily. People with SA really need to learn to break out of negative thought and behavior cycles.

·
Registered
81 Posts
island said:
Yes, I find that I feel this way too. But it's likely that this is because I've got a whole lot more experience being depressed than happy. We've all got routines that become like second nature to us. If we were positive people, being happy would come more easily. People with SA really need to learn to break out of negative thought and behavior cycles.
:agree

·
Registered
2 Posts
:agree Like i find myself so happy and confident in the summer months, but I get really down and closed off and almost depressed in the winter months. I think I just let myself get into a attitude cycle and just expect myself to be unhappy in the winter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No, it isnt, at least i dont think it is, its doesnt happen all the time, but I do find myself a little more lethargic and closed off in the winter, but I think it has more to do with Im not as active.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Squizzy said:
Is it easier to be upset than happy for you? I find myself slipping into depressions and just letting myself get down and dwell it in because trying to cheer myself up just takes too much energy. It's these times that I just don't care anymore.
Exactly. That's where I'm at right now, especially this time of the year, the winter, I get like this. Like there's nothing to look forward. But when I'm at work (at a sports retail store), I'm sellling, which demands a fake happiness and accomodation to the customers, and my boss and coworkers, which is SO hard when all I want to do is crawl up into a ball and sink away. But it forces me to be active and alive, which is good, and everyday I leave feeling accomplished just for having gone. But sometimes, the anxiety and the physical pain from the anxiety is so bad, I don't even try, I just be myself, and stop trying to sugarcoat the negativity, and it feels good not to be fake. I feel like I'm being myself, like I"m being real, and hopefully that realness will be a more happy person.

G

·
I'm just the opposite. I feel far more anxious during the summer months than the winter months. I enjoy woodworking and carving and like to hide away in my workshop. However, I am so compulsive about yard work and mowing the grass that I have severe feelings of guilt if I'm not outside doing something "productive" when the weather is warm and the sun is shining. It's actually a relief for me when the weather turns bad and it's too cold to be outside.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm real tired of these feelings controlling my life. :mum

·
Registered
47 Posts
Its sad, but I agree. Its so much easier just to sink into depression then have to pull myself up to at least the level were I can pretend to be happy.
And I'm usually a little cheerier in the winter months, it's nice. I love snow, though. It's so white and perfect... :stu

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Squizzy said:
I can relate. I don't know why it has to be so hard to be happy..that i find myself slipping into a depressed mode, like i don't care anymore about anything..or myself..i can relate to the energy drainage as well, i get like that alot, and don't take alot of effort when i'm feeling this way into anything i do.

·
Registered
333 Posts
lately i think ive been letting myself fall deeper into depression...i just feel like ive been trying for too long and its gotten me nowhere..and also because im just too tired to bother anymore...i guess its just easier to let go than hold on.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I suppose it is easier for me to be unhappy. Everytime I get to a point that I can almost be called normal and feel good about life, something happens to ruin it. Then I sink into an even worse depression than when I started out.

I'd rather stay at this level of unhappiness than have a couple months of dellusional thoughts of normalcy followed by half a year of suicidal despair until it finally tapers off into the "life sucks but I won't kill myself" phase.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
I'd love to cheer myself up, but I have a neurological impairment folks. I have something that is roughly on par with emotional epilepsy, so telling myself to cheer up is like telling an epileptic to "just stop having seizures". Oh btw I like cold weather better. :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Today I had a long and lonely day at work. (You know the vicious cycle: you're depressed so you don't feel like making small talk and being "happy", so you get more and more alienated from anyone, which makes you depressed, which....)

When I got home, I just started bawling, but in a way it felt good, cause it was the first REAL emotion I felt all day.

"Intoxicated with the madness, I'm in love with my sadness" Smashing Pumpkins

1 - 18 of 18 Posts