Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever been accused of being too talkative when around people because you're nervous? For instance, in a group of strangers that you're meeting for the first time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
yup! all the time. I am always accused on talking too much. Sometimes I will be silent around a group of strangers for the first few minutes, but once I start talking, I often get so nervous I that I just babble on...and the dumb stuff I say ends up making me MORE nervous. It's a double edged sword.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For me it's not just being nervous but also not having friends for a long time. (i'm talking years). So when I meet some people (rare) it's a huge deal for me. Unfortunately I think I turn them off because of my behavior.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
I have a horrible habit of talking about topics that are of interest to me. It perversely calms me down. People might say, "But everyone talks about things that interest them!" Well, no. When you've had a one-sided lecture (because it really stops being a conversation) with someone about the Latin ablative case, you become a bit of a bore and a nuisance.

·
Registered
604 Posts
lol no way. I am the total opposite. I am scared to say anything. I like to observe the hell out of everything and then when I get comfortable I work up to talking.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
That's a new problem. Normally those with SA just stand there in awkward silence.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
That's a new problem. Normally those with SA just stand there in awkward silence.
(not to you specifically, but a lot of people are making the same point)

Well with me it's that whenever I'm comfortable enough/drunk enough to talk, it becomes an incoherent ramble about grammar, Roman religion, the Julio-Claudian emperors, or battle tactics. It's very socially awkward, but I'm just incapable of making small talk and the aforementioned topics, I know them so well that it's calming to talk about them.*

* That was a run-on from Hell, and I apologize.

·
Banned
768 Posts
No, but I have a bad habit of finding one person I feel comfortable with at a party or gathering and smothering them with attention. I don't do it on purpose, I just realize after a good amount of time that I've probably spent way too much time with one person rather than walking around and mingling like a good social person should do. haha.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sometimes I do.
I notice sometimes that in an effort to say anything at all, I end up talking
way too much about things that probably are just too much information.
Then I feel humiliated with myself.

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
Yes! I had never brought it up before because I was worried no one would really get it.

I do in fact talk to much because of SA in certain situations. Not all - I still have the standing awkwardly in the corner thing for most social situations. But when I have to meet people because of a particular reason (like a school project) I get so nervous I just yammer on about that specific topic.

It's like I don't have to worry about what to try and talk about, since I KNOW I can talk about the the subject of our paper or whatever, so my brain skips that step and just won't shut up. Since I know it's acceptable to talk about that paper topic, the silences seem 10 times more awkward and I yearn to fill them with whatever crap I can think of about french verbs or repetitions in the poem or protein configuration or whatnot.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes...I think most people here tend to be shy or silent in all situations, but this makes total sense to me. I am silent when I'm terribly shy, too afraid of what everyone will think of me. But when I'm a little more unsure of a situation I kind of babble, because I want to come off as friendly and funny. I hate it. This is my haphazard way of making friends. If the people I babble around seem annoyed, then I don't like them, but if they laugh or see nothing strange about we usually get along fine.

The way I think of it, it's kind of like driving through the jungle, blindfolded and at top speed, just to get through to civilization. :b Ya know?

·
Registered
984 Posts
I would call this negative exposure. The problem is still the sa because after the fact of you babbling you begin to feel embarassed and like you did something wrong and get even quieter later on as a result. Many people babble on randomly and boringly without a hint of self conciousness and still manage to have social lifes and friends.

·
Banned
175 Posts
LOL. Yes. Happens to me once in a while. In fact just yesterday I talked to the wife of a friend of mine on the phone that I grew up with and I babbled on and on and hardly let her say a word. It is nervousness and trying desperately to find something worthwhile to say.

·
immortal in the making
820 Posts
if it's one on one, i sometimes do. just last week i had to go to another shop for some training meeting with my duty manager, and all the way there in the car, i was just babbling nonsense. like about how sheep stick their tongue out when they "talk" and how it's grey/black etc etc. if something caught my attention, i spoke about it. i soon later admitted to him when we got out the car why i was talking so much. being so nervous due to the anxiety and uncontrollably talking to keep my mind off the meeting.
doesnt often happen in groups or many other situations. but it does happen

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
I've experienced both being dead silent and being too talkative. I think in certain situations I feel I *have* to fill the silences (all the small talk is my responsibility), so I'll say/ask just about anything to avoid the silence.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts