Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Protector of the Den
15,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think you can become too old for most anime? I'm mostly talking about the average anime on tv. With some exceptions(Cowboy bebop, Deathnote(later on), Samurai Champloo, etc) , the main characters on Adultswim and Scifi seem to be in high school or younger. I enjoy the shows, but I feel weird being at least 6 years older than most of the characters. Any other older people who watch anime?

·
Protector of the Den
15,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's good, because I don't anticipate this addiction going away anytime soon :D

·
SAS Member
14,483 Posts
I'm 35 and i love anime more than movies :)
Nothing wrong with it...well, maybe there's something wrong with you if you watch too much Hentai :p

·
Registered
241 Posts
*shrug*. I'm 21 & I like AZUMANGA DAIOH.
That's anime, right?

I like the little voices and personalities. ^____^

·
Registered
302 Posts
I never got into it, it was weird for weirds' sake in my case. I did watch DBZ and Cowboy Bebop and Hayao Miyazaki is a genius!

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
The "too old" issue irritates me to no end. I'm 21 and love anime, been watching it since I was a kid, don't see the interest going away. Anime isn't a kid thing.

Heck, at conventions you'll still see older anime fans in their 60's or 70's who were anime fans back in the 1970's.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
your never to old to watch anime, because I still watch anime !
Agreeing with this.

Anime is something that I've come to really enjoy watching in very recent years, despite the fact that I'm in my later twenties.

I think often people - those who aren't too familiar with anime - assume that it just consists of japanese cartoons made for a very young audience (as with many disney cartoons). But this couldn't be further from the truth. There are lots of different anime types out there, which cater to different tastes.

·
SAS Member
14,483 Posts
The "too old" issue irritates me to no end. I'm 21 and love anime, been watching it since I was a kid, don't see the interest going away. Anime isn't a kid thing.

Heck, at conventions you'll still see older anime fans in their 60's or 70's who were anime fans back in the 1970's.
yeah, it's pretty stupid. It's kind of a stigma, like adult in their 30's still playing video games or reading comic books. OMG YOU LIKE THOSE? LOSER...
Yet people don't realise that a lot of video games, comic books and anime/cartoons are created by full grown adults who are in their 30's/40's and older.

Anyway, i love my animes and i don't care what people say about it. They can just go back to watch their very high quality hollywood production and die of boredom.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I think the stigma comes from a lot of overly ah enthused fans who's entire life revolves around anime, go to conventions dressed as anime characters, have entire professorly discussions on how to act and talk like anime characters (i'm not kidding) and have little to no life outside of anime. But you can say the same about D&D, star trek and a lot of other fandoms.

Enjoy what you like besides who's going to know anyway it's not like you have to go out of your way to tell people.

·
SAS Member
14,483 Posts
I REALLY liked Samurai Afro: Resurrection. It had Samuel L. Jackson, RZA, a teddy bear samurai, a ninja who uses a boombox as a weapon, and cool fighting scenes. I just found out there's a series that goes with the movie that I'm going to check out.
the afro samurai serie is a hell of a lot better than resurrection.
Resurrection is the sequel to the serie and picks up some years after.

I really enjoy that anime too.
Mixing the hiphop culture, technology and the old japanese samurai was a good idea(even though i'm not a hiphop fan at all) I though it was really well done and pretty different from everything out there.

And ninja ninja is a funny guy :lol
He brings a much needed light side to all the darkness and sadness that the anime shows.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'm 22 and I still enjoy anime. A lot of it is pretty immature and silly, I admit, and crazy-obsessed otaku types weird me out a bit. But I'd prefer even the worst anime to, say, MTV reality shows. I think Japanese humor is hilarious and cute, but I also like more serious anime (Ghost in the Shell is my favorite). But in my opinion even the best anime sound ridiculous when dubbed. Subtitles all the way!

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
I think that Miyazaki's films have really brought anime to all age groups. I know so many people my age or much older who have seen and liked Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke.

I don't think that anime is just for kids (Grave of the Fireflies, anyone?), I don't think that animated movies are just for kids (Triplets of Belleville, Persepolis, etc.). It's just another form of cinema or TV, no better or worse than any other.

I mean, I'm 20 and I still like some of the insanely silly stuff. A favorite is Bobobo.

·
Protector of the Den
15,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I haven't been as excited about the anime on television, lately. I've been watching "Welcome to the NHK" instead. The main character is a 22 year old who has social anxiety and is afraid to leave his house. A very funny anime :D . Definitely not a kid's anime though. It gets VERY dirty at times.

·
dirt person
2,788 Posts
NHK is really good. I read the book, and will probably get the manga as well. It's "dirtier" than the anime ^_^

1 - 20 of 26 Posts