Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I get into it, I'll explain a little something first. I seem to be very easily influenced by music, movies, books and even random strangers I see to then make a story out of it. For example I would take elements from say the video game series, Halo, and combine it with The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and then maybe the UNSC or something will discover dimensional travel either by accident or on purpose and then something goes wrong resulting in it to target two children way out of the original expected area of effect making them get sent to the dimension of Tamriel (calling it a dimension, not time travel due to the fact that it has two moons). Now that's just skimming on one idea out of... A LOT.

If you didn't know already, I have Maladaptive Daydreaming(MD). Now the main problem is that the easiest way to suppress or relieve these ideas is to write them down which I can't do when I don't even have time to finish up one. I'm getting too many ideas in too short time frames. Is this normal or is it part of MD or soemthing else?

·
Banned
126 Posts
I've never had anything like that but my advice generally would be to select one topic, focus and develop it. Like for example developing a model of an aircraft. You begin with the most fundamental concepts and gradually add details until you create a coherent final product.

You might have to start approaching things in a more systematic/organized way.
Here are some resources you could use for managing creativity:
http://www.mindtools.com/pages/main/newMN_CT.htm
http://www.mycoted.com/Main_Page

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
This happens to me too except the only difference is that I can't actually put it into words majority of the time, it's just visuals in my head which can be so annoying! Do what you did just now! Just write down the main part(s) of the idea so you've got the gist of it and it'll either come back to you when you read over it again or you'll get yet another idea. I'm pretty sure that's part of MD but I'm not an expert so it could be wrong?

·
Registered
10 Posts
This happens to me a lot too, I may have MD too...
But I write poetry a lot, and I usually have many ideas flowing through my head, what I would do is I would write each idea down on a piece of paper, computer note, phone note whatever you're using, and then when you decide which one to write, write it.
Example:
"Idea #1: A murder occurs in a small town and no one knows who did it."
Or whatever your idea may be. Then underneath, write down the names of people involved in the story, and write about it later on.
Hope this helps! :)

·
SAS Member
237 Posts
I have the exact same thing happen to me. It's like I start writing down one idea, and I'm content with it, but then all of a sudden all these other ideas start flowing in my head and I want to write them down too, but then I can't write them all down. As silly as it might sound to someone who doesn't have MD, it's really aggravating to me. The only thing I can really say is keep working at that one idea, and if you really need to take a break to write a different one, do that. But you can push yourself a little bit back into your previous idea, and once you start writing it again you might be able to finish it. But honestly I've still abandoned more ideas than I can count.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts