Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you reckon the music today on the radio is not as good as music from the past decades? I loved listening to the top 50 on Rage when I was a kid growing up in the 90s but when I switch on the top 40 today, I hate most of the songs. And the 60s, 70s and 80s I find more easy to listen to than todays music.

·
Midnight rambla
1,146 Posts
You speak the truth.. Sadly, in modern times music as become less about actual instrumental ability and more about a squeaky voice and a pretty face. Similar could be said for the film industry.

Transport me back to the 60's or early 70's, and I'd probably be free of my SA as I would actually fit in with people in my age group. Not to mention the opportunities for musicians in my genre were far, far greater back at that time.

Makes me depressed thinking about how out of place I am today.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I agree, but it's easy to think todays music doesn't compare to the music of the past, just because most of the truly awful stuff from other decades gets filtered out so we only remember the good stuff. I grew up in the 90s too and before I had any real taste just listened to chart music. Some of it was good but for the most part it was just as bad today I reckon.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
definitely. all of today's pop/radio music sounds the same and it's all trash. in the 90s, you heard quality artists on the radio all the time. even what was considered pop music was still largely very good and had a lot of creativity and musicianship to it. today, actual talented artists are under the radar and you have to go searching for them, while artists like ke$ha and katy perry get near-constant radio play.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I agree, but it's easy to think todays music doesn't compare to the music of the past, just because most of the truly awful stuff from other decades gets filtered out so we only remember the good stuff. I grew up in the 90s too and before I had any real taste just listened to chart music. Some of it was good but for the most part it was just as bad today I reckon.
:yes I think people get too nostalgic. Commercial media has always been about appealing to the masses and then trying to sell them ****; it was the same in the 90's and its still the same now.

·
Registered
654 Posts
:yes I think people get too nostalgic. Commercial media has always been about appealing to the masses and then trying to sell them ****; it was the same in the 90's and its still the same now.
Commercial media in music is about appealing to the young.
And nostalgia cant account for hearing an old track for the first time and still being able to say its better than the mainstream of today.

·
Penguin
4,506 Posts
True, but there is a derth of good stuff now when there wasn't in the 70s, 80s and to a lesser extent the 90s.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I never listen to the radio, except in the car. I don't even know what's popular these days and what's not. I don't feel bad for liking a pop song, it's just a catchy tune to me. I enjoy songs with profound lyrics too, but I don't think much into whether what I'm listening to is good or bad music.

·
going hazy
8,724 Posts
Radio music makes up a very small part of music overall. No matter what type of music you enjoy, you can look beyond that and find a ton of really good stuff.

I think today's music is a lot better than that of the 60's and 70's overall. Mostly because there is so much more of it.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
There's so much out there. Sure, the Top 40 "sucks" to my ear, but that doesn't mean modern music does. There are just too many bands to access. It's easy to put an album together and send it out to the world with the help of programs like GarageBand and the internet. We do hear a lot of fluff as a result when we do go digging but man, when you find a jewel...:)

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I turned off my radio about 6 years ago, I had really enjoyed the songs they played then slowly the new stuff was just pure crap eventually that's all there was on the radio so I stopped listening to it. Now I find all of my new music online mostly through youtube.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts