Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking that maybe Toastmasters might help with some parts of my SA. They mainly do public speaking and if I joined, that would definitely hit one of my many discomfort zones. But over time I think it might help.

Anybody here have joined or know of anyone who's in Toastmasters?

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
I was a Toastmasters member for maybe six months. I filled some of the smaller speaking roles (like timer), gave a handful of speeches and was toastmaster once (the leader of the meeting).

Here's something I posted when I was still a member:
I want to start off by saying I don't think Toastmasters would be beneficial for anyone with social anxiety UNTIL they have gone through some treatment with cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and a CBT group as well. I am a member of Toastmasters club currently. I've been a member for about six months, having given three speeches and served in a variety of the roles at meetings, including the leading role of Toastmaster.I have mixed feelings about Toastmasters.On one hand it is a great behavioral exercise to confront a fear of public speaking and learn that it's not so bad. I found a club that's very eclectic and supportive, with people varying in age from 19 to 60. I encourage you to keep trying clubs until you find one you are comfortable with. I went to three other clubs before I found the one I am currently a member of. Some clubs may be full of business lawyers, which may or may not be right for you. So what don't I like about Toastmasters. I have somewhat of a problem with perfectionism, which I understand is common for people with social anixety. Toastmasters allows you to feed that perfectionism. There are various small roles in a Toastmasters meeting as well as larger roles and speech roles. I've consistenly found myself having to do a "perfect" job in whatever role I'm in. For example, if I'm the Jokemaster, I have to find the perfect joke or if I'm a speaker, I have to memorize an amazing 8 minute speech and literally go up and give it without even bringing up notes. I find myself dedicated too much time to Toastmasters, which ultimately isn't that important in the scheme of things. Don't use what I'm saying as a justification for not trying Toastmasters. I think it's something very beneficial for anyone working to not let their social anxiety control their life, but keep in mind what I said and don't feel that you have to be perfect. No ones perfect!
From: http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/treatment/products/53.html

1 - 2 of 2 Posts