Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was prescribe klonopin for everyday use. It's working but I'm a bit worried about it building tolerance. I have read mix review regarding this topic. I have read about people building tolerance after using the drug for some time. I also read about people taking it for many years and never build tolerance. I read a doctor opinion regarding this and he said some people confuse the diminish of the sedating effect klonopin gives at first with building tolerance to the drug. Did you build tolerance or not to the drug? What are your thoughts regarding this?Thanks!

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
You may experience tolerance to it's sedating effects, and after a few weeks of continuous use the initial "buzz" may also fade, however klonopin should still work subtley in the background as an effective anxiolytic even with continous use.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Personally I did develop tolerance to the anxiolytic effects of clonazepam (constant 8mg dose [4mg bid] taken daily over several months) and I was also physically dependent on the benzodiazepine. 'Resetting' tolerance and and eliminating physcial dependence is IMHO easy when using an equivalent dose of the cross-tolerant Phenobarbital or Desoxyphenobarbital (Primidone) for 10-14 days. After this period I had the full benefits of clonazepam again. Problem is that few doctors still prescribe Pheno altough with it's extremely long half-life and slow onset of action it's much less toxic and dangerous than the shorting-acting barbiturates (Secobarbital, Pentobarbital) [ab]used in the 1960s and 1970s. It has also pretty low abuse potential and in general patients consider it a medication and not something to party with.

·
Staying positive
754 Posts
Yes I developed tolerance. Withdrawal is no fun either. I wouldn't recommend taking it long term unless you want to keep increasing the dose.

·
Equilibrian Epicurius
1,028 Posts
I haven't developed any tolerance when using it 2-3 days per week for the past six months. If you take benzos daily, the anxiolysis will weaken pretty rapidly for most people that initially benefit from the medication, but it should still provide at least some relief even if used longterm. I guess the people who find it helps them when used daily and for several months straight (or longer) have in fact built a tolerance, but still find the subtle effect of the benzo to be enough for them. If the first few doses help but only mildly then chances are it would only be effective for short-term or PRN/intermittent use.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your opinion. I really don't know what to do. My doctor prescribe it for everday use but the last thing I want is to build tolerance and add more fuel to the fire with my situation. Iasked him for valium because I heard it last long and people build less tolerance on it but He prescribed klonopin instead because it wasn't as addicting and safer. For those that use it a few times a week. Do You guys experience any withdrawal side effect or feel more anxious the days you don't take it?Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I'm in a similiar situation, At the moment I'm taking a low maintenance dose daily (.5 mg), then I'll take another .5-1 mg PRN about twice a week.

My advice is don't use them for insomnia, for example if your thinking of taking .5 before bed then .5 in the morning, take say mirtazapine or trazadone for sleep at night instead, then .5 mg of klonopin in the morning. Since if it's just for SA then you probly wont need it before bed, since your alone.

·
Equilibrian Epicurius
1,028 Posts
For those that use it a few times a week. Do You guys experience any withdrawal side effect or feel more anxious the days you don't take it?Thanks again.
Nope, no anxiety or withdrawal whatsoever. Although I only took it ~3 times a week for a month or two max, so I'm not sure if it would have became an issue later on down the road. At 2 days per week tolerance and withdrawal/dependence symptoms never developed.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Nope, no anxiety or withdrawal whatsoever. Although I only took it ~3 times a week for a month or two max, so I'm not sure if it would have became an issue later on down the road. At 2 days per week tolerance and withdrawal/dependence symptoms never developed.
what dosage do you take it at PRN? I'm sorta curious if taking say 2 mg twice a week, would be that different in terms of withdrawl to taking say .5 mg daily for a week, since the same amount is still being taken in the same week if you get what I mean?

·
Equilibrian Epicurius
1,028 Posts
what dosage do you take it at PRN? I'm sorta curious if taking say 2 mg twice a week, would be that different in terms of withdrawl to taking say .5 mg daily for a week, since the same amount is still being taken in the same week if you get what I mean?
I take only 1mg now but used to alternate between 1-2mg depending on the situation.

I'm curious about that too. I never took it daily, but I'd assume that if it's constantly in the system without time off between doses then homeostasis would kick in much quicker - thus allowing tolerance and dependence to develop.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Thanks for all your opinion. I really don't know what to do. My doctor prescribe it for everday use but the last thing I want is to build tolerance and add more fuel to the fire with my situation. Iasked him for valium because I heard it last long and people build less tolerance on it but He prescribed klonopin instead because it wasn't as addicting and safer. For those that use it a few times a week. Do You guys experience any withdrawal side effect or feel more anxious the days you don't take it?Thanks again.
I take Ativan, and I've taken a dose of up to 1 mg. Sometimes I'll take it everyday for a week, other times not at all. I've never had withdrawal at all.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I take only 1mg now but used to alternate between 1-2mg depending on the situation.

I'm curious about that too. I never took it daily, but I'd assume that if it's constantly in the system without time off between doses then homeostasis would kick in much quicker - thus allowing tolerance and dependence to develop.
oh ok, yeah that makes sence, your giving your body a break from it. Do you prefer to take it before the event, or the nigth before due to the long half life?

·
Equilibrian Epicurius
1,028 Posts
oh ok, yeah that makes sence, your giving your body a break from it. Do you prefer to take it before the event, or the nigth before due to the long half life?
Well, I'm prescribed it for SA but I only take it when I feel anxious in general. It does last a long time so the effects would still be noticeable upon awakening if taken at night, though the strongest effects wear off after only 7-8 hours. Taking it before the event (it takes one hour to kick in) sounds to me like the most efficient way to dose.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
What about xanax. Xanax is short acting should not develop tolerance that quickly like longer acting benzos? Because they stay in your system longer. Hmm.
I'm talking about xanax as needed ( not three times a day) just 1 mg as need or so.
xanax as needed should be fine, some people like the fact that it kicks in, does its job, and then goes within a few hours. But I would never recommend taking it daily, due to it's short half life, it would be pretty problematic in that scenario.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all your opinions. It helps. What I'm going to try to do is take it 4 to 5 days a week. I'm going to take .5mg a day, Unless more is needed. Maybe that will help me not build tolerance & klonopin be still effective as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
P.S. It's fustrating that if not the best, one of the best medication for SA, GAD, Panick attacks... only works for a limited amount of time because one builds tolerance to it & to avoid building tolerance to the drug one can't take it frequently because there's a possibility that one will build tolerance to the drug. SMH, Life isn't fair.

·
Comfortably Numb
232 Posts
I was given it to counteract the side-affects of other medications but,as far as helping me with panic attacks it was short term.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
P.S. It's fustrating that if not the best, one of the best medication for SA, GAD, Panick attacks... only works for a limited amount of time because one builds tolerance to it & to avoid building tolerance to the drug one can't take it frequently because there's a possibility that one will build tolerance to the drug. SMH, Life isn't fair.
Yeah, I can sympathize with that totally. Specially because the current big alternative SSRI's make me alot worse, albiet thats just my personal reaction to them.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts