Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your sister like? Is she socially anxious or super-outgoing and confident? Do you have a good relationship? Does she annoy you?

I have a sister who's two years younger than me but it feels like she's the eldest. She has loads of confidence and can talk to anyone. I know I shouldn't say this, but my parents seem to favour her over me. They're both fairly quiet, but my sister is really chatty so they love to talk to her. She mostly talks about herself, which gets tedious. It's like they think she's some kind of miracle child for not being a massive introvert. Sorry if I sound bitter, it's because I am :b

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
Your post kind of sounds like something I'd write, only my sisters are older than me. I don't talk to one sister very much, but I do know she's pretty outgoing, and she's my half sister, so I didn't really grow up with her.

As for the sister I grew up with, well, she's very outgoing. Always has been. She has been confident and talkative for as long as I can remember and I've always wanted to be like her in that respect. She can talk and be friends with anyone. It seems so easy for her. She also has a family and everything, plus she's seven years older, so we've never had that great of a relationship. When she was in her teen stage, I was still a child. When I was finally in my teen stage, she was pretty much an adult, so we never had too much in common and we like different things.
I think she's annoying, irresponsible, loud, and 'ghetto' and she thinks I'm weird, nerdy, prudish (haha), and that I 'act' white. So, that pretty much tells you how our relationship is.

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
I'm 19. My sister is turning 17 next month.
In high school, I took one college course. My sister is taking three.
In high school, I was in one co-curricular activity. My sister is in two.
In high school, I was on honor roll. My sister is in the honor's society.
I'm still learning to drive (this is is my second permit). My sister is learning to drive and has more hours logged than me.
The only instrument I've played in my life was the trumpet and I don't even play it now. My sister has been playing the flute for 6 years and last year started playing the clarinet, too.
I'm a lesbian. My sister is straight.
I have a birthmark on my face. My sister does not.
I am 5'5". My sister is 5'7".
I'm bordering on underweight for my height and age. My sister is not.
Her boobs are even bigger than mine.

Thank you, Universe.
I still think I'm awesome.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
My sister (4.5ish years older) is probably normal outgoing. She can talk to people just fine.

I think she contributed to a lot of my anxiety because of her picking on me constantly about every little thing. I'm very uncomfortable around her and hardly talked to her even when she lived about a mile away.

·
Registered
462 Posts
My sister is 5 years younger than me(she turns 17 this friday). She is very outgoing and confident. Despite the accomplishments she's made that make me feel bitter on the inside. I'd say we have a love/hate relationship with another, normal one.

Her and I were pretty good when younger, then spent 5-6 years being distant from each other(shared a bedroom so didn't help much). Turns out she was feeling like I was ignoring her but I wasn't, just had been wrapped in my own issues with the anxiety during that time. And then after writing a letter to her a few years ago. We've been a little closer with each other again so its not too bad.

She still annoys me though with many things, relating to being social and just things in general like being spoiled and never cleaning up ever is currently the one that gets to me the most. I sort of have blocked out the social part of it since it depresses me a lot.

She has a job. I don't.
She has been in a couple of relationships. I haven't experienced any of that.
She will be finishing highschool. I am a drop out 3x.
Both of us have yet to get our driver's license so that's a plus for me lol.
And then just little small things with interacting with others, don't know how she can be so social every day. I don't think she gets any anxiety at all, a little but not enough to stop her from doing what she wants to do. I hate that. She tends to talk really quickly and being very expressive to others to which I'm not so I envy her to an extent.

·
Banned
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sorry if I've evoked negative feelings in anyone with this, I didn't intend for it to be an opportunity for us to make unfavourable comparisons between ourselves and our sisters :(

Obviously my OP wasn't exactly positive, but I don't want to drag anyone down. I guess sibling rivalry is just a given between those who are fairly close in terms of age.

Why don't we all compare ourselves to our sisters in terms of things that we're better at/ that make us prettier/ better people etc? We've all put ourselves down enough already :roll

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
I'm sorry if I've evoked negative feelings in anyone with this, I didn't intend for it to be an opportunity for us to make unfavourable comparisons between ourselves and our sisters :(

Obviously my OP wasn't exactly positive, but I don't want to drag anyone down. I guess sibling rivalry is just a given between those who are fairly close in terms of age.

Why don't we all compare ourselves to our sisters in terms of things that we're better at/ that make us prettier/ better people etc? We've all put ourselves down enough already :roll
Oh, I don't feel rivalry between my sister and I. I really love her and we get along quite well. We laugh A LOT together. But I realize I'm on a different path than she is. It used really bother me but recently, when I figured out where I wanna, I kinda like that we're not the same, haha.

The part where it bothers me is how our parents, particularly my mother, treats us differently. I can tell that she's prouder of my sister than she is of me. I think that when other people obviously compare us, we pick up on it and do it to ourselves. I've repeatedly asked my parents not to compare me to anyone and just accept me and my father has gotten better at it but my mother has just gotten closer and closer to my sister. I'm glad that they are close but it'd be great if I felt like my mom was proud of me, too, you know? As someone who also struggled with anxiety, I kinda expect it from her. I expect for her to be like, "I know you're not like other people but I'm so proud of you for getting through this." But nope. And yes, my mom has commented on the size of my boobs compared to my sister's. Mine aren't really that much smaller! But it's come up.

·
Banned
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The part where it bothers me is how our parents, particularly my mother, treats us differently. I'm glad that they are close but it'd be great if I felt like my mom was proud of me, too, you know? And yes, my mom has commented on the size of my boobs compared to my sister's. Mine aren't really that much smaller! But it's come up.
I can relate to all this. I get treated differently by my parents too, mainly because I'm quiet. When my dad gets drunk he comments on how reserved I am etc, and it is blatantly obvious how much more they both prefer my sister's company to mine. It is a bit depressing sometimes.

Your mum really commented on the size of your boobs compared to your sister's?? That sucks :| It only makes you more self-conscious when people point things out in such a blunt way. My sister is the one who comments on differences in our appearances more than anyone, I'm pretty curvy and she's straight up and down. My parents comment on that too but not in a critical or judgemental way, they tend to say she's lucky to be so slim and I'm lucky to have a 'feminine' figure :lol

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Take everything in me and make it the opposite, and you have my sister. Outgoing, sporty, popular, friendly, charismatic, ambitious, etc. all describes my sister. We aren't close and never have been. I remember the days when I locked her up in the dog kennel and she would beat me with her high heeled boots. Oh, and when I put dog food in the rice crispie squares she made, haha. She licked them though after I helped watch her make them, so I was vengeful. We are civil now though. She does annoy me, but not nearly as much anymore, but that's probably due to the fact that she moved and I never see her.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have a pretty good relationship w/ my sister. I'd say she's my best friend and the person I'm closest to, even though we are growing slightly more apart as she gets older. It's sad though because she's sooo much younger than me. I'm 25, she's 16. I think we are the same age emotionally. I'm a late bloomer and may never fully bloom lol.

We've always been on the same wavelength and just have inside jokes, and can make each other laugh all the time. we like all the same things, well she usually likes whatever I like. I think cos I'm older she thinks I have better taste in music or whatever. She takes her interests and shares them w/ her friends. I can see she's branched out to have more her own tastes though more recently.

She's very social, has tons of friends, plays softball, recently took up the guitar, and is probably gonna be valedictorian when she graduates. She stands up for people who are quiet or are being picked on, and is unafraid to have an opinion. I'm very proud of her and can't praise her enough.

If I didn't have her I wouldn't have anybody really. I'm sad she may be leaving me behind eventually though when she's off to college and to start her life, but that's for the best. :)

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
I can relate to all this. I get treated differently by my parents too, mainly because I'm quiet. When my dad gets drunk he comments on how reserved I am etc, and it is blatantly obvious how much more they both prefer my sister's company to mine. It is a bit depressing sometimes.

Your mum really commented on the size of your boobs compared to your sister's?? That sucks :| It only makes you more self-conscious when people point things out in such a blunt way. My sister is the one who comments on differences in our appearances more than anyone, I'm pretty curvy and she's straight up and down. My parents comment on that too but not in a critical or judgemental way, they tend to say she's lucky to be so slim and I'm lucky to have a 'feminine' figure :lol
Yeah, she has and I nodded it off a lot in the past but one time I told her I didn't like her talking about how our shirts fit and stuff like that. She basically said I was being ridiculous. I just cover up all the time now so she won't say as much. If you can't see my boobs you can't talk about them!

Aw man, I'm jealous! I wish I were curvier! The day I noticed I had some curves I texted everyone in the Universe to let them know, haha. I'm hoping that it's just the genetic pattern from my dad's side. Women typically start out thin but then BAM full-on woman stage comes and I am totally looking forward to it should that be the case for me!

·
Banned
2,265 Posts
Take your Index finger and your middle finger, cross them together..thats how close i am with my Sister.
My sister's my best friend.. :)..<3

206 Posts
I'm 22 and my sister is 21. She is my only FULL sibling and we have been through things that you can't even imagine.

At times, I love her to death. Other times, she is the most frustrating person in the world.

My sister is a lot prettier than me. My parents always mention her as being beautiful but I have never once heard them call me pretty. It gets me down at times but they regard me as the smart one, so it evens out.

Despite the fact that she is pretty, she is not outgoing. She doesn't have SA like me, but she is shy.

She calls me her best friend. I get texts from her often like this, "I miss you little girl! We need to do something soon!" I love my sister.

Oh, I also have a 19 year old sister but we have never been close. We get along okay, but we just don't have a strong relationship.

EDIT: I love the fact that I don't have to hide anything from her. I can expose myself in the worst way and I am not afraid of what she will think of me. =)

·
Positively Revolting Hag
6,547 Posts
My sister isn't particularly outgoing, but not exactly shy either. She could talk under water, cement and quicksand, though. We're total opposites but we get along regardless.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a sister that is two years older than me. She was born with a physical disability, and my family gave her tons of understanding and support because of her health problems, and she recieved extra help in school, and everything she needed. With me, my problem was anxiety, and no one really understood that. I was always told "you don't have real problems like your sister does." Because my problems couldn't be seen like hers, I never recieved any support or understanding like she did. That really hurt. I felt like I was suffering too, but only her problems mattered to anyone. At the same time I always felt guilty for not being the normal, healthy daughter that my parents wanted.

Socially, my sister is normal. She is not super-outgoing, but she is not shy either. She really has been far more succesful than me. She finished college in four years, and earned a master's degree. She has a good job. She has a lot of friends. Myself, it took me forever to finish school, and I don't have a job right now. I don't have any friends. I am basically a loser.

I love my sister, but sometimes our relationship is strained. She is very critical of my social anxiety related problems, and she really doesn't understand.

It's very clear to me that she is the favourite daughter. I live with my mom, but it's like I barely exist to her. My mom hardly talks to me. I feel like we hardly know each other at times. But then my sister comes to visit, and my mom will completely change her behavior while her favourite daughter is around. It's not that I don't want to see my sister when she visits, but it hurts to see how clearly my mom favors her compared to me.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Me and my sis are quite similar. She went through a patch of SA a few years ago now she has a great social life which I'm jealous of, I'm working on mine though! We're both quite reserved so we bond over that. We fight like cats and dogs when we fight and when we're close we're like best friends. It's weird, I think because there's only a years difference between us. It's sort of a love/ hate relationship.

·
Banned
372 Posts
My sister is 3 years younger than me. She's cool, sweet, and funny, we get along. She has a better social life than I ever have, I'm happy for that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
sisters

Hi all, i have two sisters. I am the second out of 4 kids.. but my sisters always plan things dinner, outings, and sometimes they don't include me.. or say how come u didnt come to the bbq? how was i supposed to know am i a mind reader? u didnt invite me.. it hurts alot. and my bro he is the youngest.. he talks to my two sisters and texts them all the time.. but he ignores me. what is wrong with me? i just want to know someimtes i try to talk but they just ignore me.. i feel like a loser. if i feel so bad and hurt.. why even try to have a relationship with my siblings i should just cut them off right?:um

·
bye
810 Posts
I have 3 older sisters and they all have similar personalities. They're easy to get along with and they are very outgoing. I've always been the quiet one.

·
Currently Broken
1,231 Posts
My sister is an actress. 'Nuff said.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts