Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just reading a post about america an englands slant on mental illness ,an the meds we all take. Take england, we have very few choise,s of meds an therapy., back up is $#%^, an pych courses are light years in waiting. So we get usually one med a ssri ,mabye a benzo for 10 days till your med kicks in an thats it . You could have a hundred different mental health issuies , but you get one med for all of them, well not bipolar you get a bit of choise in that situation. In america you get meds enough to sink a planet , therapy ,on line meds the hole lot. For us in england to try a none generic med, we carnt buy on the internet only if we have a script from our GP. We get some none generics like cymbalta but not many. But you know with all your combo meds in america mabye sometimes 6 meds at once on the go., your no better of than us on the one, its just that you can get them an we carnt. You have 6 times side effects as are one med. If you went to board a plain the security would go off with the toxin,s in your body. So although we dont get much help, we dont get worse than america . In england its very rare more than one family member on shrink meds , in america sometimes the hole family is on meds, that carnt be cool.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Scotland is a bit like that foxy, but the scripts are now free, no more pay for a medicine, even for rich folk, its free.
But six months min waiting list to see a Psych, and then only if you have a long term condition do you get access to mental heath services.
Prosac is the norm, unless like you say Bi-Polar is involved, then a broader range of treatment is involved.
But there is a queue of junkies and neurotic single mums in need of services so the whole thing is spread too thin, Yet they continue to spend money on our nuclear deterrent and absolute folly

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scotland is a bit like that foxy, but the scripts are now free, no more pay for a medicine, even for rich folk, its free.
But six months min waiting list to see a Psych, and then only if you have a long term condition do you get access to mental heath services.
Prosac is the norm, unless like you say Bi-Polar is involved, then a broader range of treatment is involved.
But there is a queue of junkies and neurotic single mums in need of services so the whole thing is spread too thin, Yet they continue to spend money on our nuclear deterrent and absolute folly
The scripts are free to all unemployed in england , but if working you pay about £8 a script so if on 6 meds that could be £42 a week plus you pay nation insurance every week out your wages. Surely you do that in scotland or you wouldent have any money at all in the nhs, When i worked i payed £80,000 over many years in national isurance the more you earn the more you pay. There must be some selF made people out there payed million,s in N I without useing the NHS an go private an pay. That the big issue with imigrants they only pay NI when they work an have never before payed a penny ,but they can have the same heart surgery as the guy who has paid hundreds of thousands over his life in NI, an imigrants pay nothing. I wonder if our lives are better for not being force fed meds like america, we get the bear minimum , an never forced on you, infact, your lucky if you can get any, then its the cheapest . There is always a bed in english mental hospitals because there **** an degradeing, ward,s with 10 patients is the norm. from smack heads to suicidal to depressives. I was 10 times worse when i came out than when i went in. I would gladly punch out%95 of the staff includeing doctors.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
No, the SNP passed a bill to abolish prescription charges, and the last time I went to collect from the pharmacy the "sign the form" looked different and I asked,
Non, charges have been abolished, thats why the form is different he said.
OK,
Yes when I worked offshore the NI contrib was earnings based, so I reckon I paid more than average working on the rigs, but have prolly used it all up now with some open chest surgery...
I wouldnt punch out the nhs staff though, but some of them certainly seem to ask for it...
I got accused of being a druggie by the Staff nurse in the chest ward, and she went mental, really going off on one when I tried to tell her that my mental condition may upset some of the other patients.
She really had a full blown meltdown at me.
I tried to pack my stuff to get to another hospital, but was too weak and collapsed,
She told the surgeon I was running around shouting suicide and drugs are good, so he cancelled my lung op for a whole week, misery and physical pain...
Nasty piece of work that one.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, the SNP passed a bill to abolish prescription charges, and the last time I went to collect from the pharmacy the "sign the form" looked different and I asked,
Non, charges have been abolished, thats why the form is different he said.
OK,
Yes when I worked offshore the NI contrib was earnings based, so I reckon I paid more than average working on the rigs, but have prolly used it all up now with some open chest surgery...
I wouldnt punch out the nhs staff though, but some of them certainly seem to ask for it...
I got accused of being a druggie by the Staff nurse in the chest ward, and she went mental, really going off on one when I tried to tell her that my mental condition may upset some of the other patients.
She really had a full blown meltdown at me.
I tried to pack my stuff to get to another hospital, but was too weak and collapsed,
She told the surgeon I was running around shouting suicide and drugs are good, so he cancelled my lung op for a whole week, misery and physical pain...
Nasty piece of work that one.
WTF did you say about yourself to make her go on one,an how would you upset the other patients, do you kick off at things.:blank

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
No, when I first got put in the cardio thoracic ward I was put into a little side ward with only two beds, it was half cupboard/half ward, the staff were in and out all the time getting supplies(bedpans and jars and drip valves and stuff was in there.
I was getting a visit from a girl who has aspergers, and for privacy I asked her to close the door at visiting,
The staff nurse took that as a sign that I was controlling a ganland drug operation from my bed...
I think that she mistook me for another patient also from shetland who was a heroin user big time and had convictions for dealing,
His veins were so bad that his hospital IV valve was at the back of his ear, all his other veins were gubbed
I got this mega verbal from the staff nurse about dealing out of her ward, and that to stop me dealing drugs in her domain I would be getting transferred into another ward with 13 other patients sharing one toilet and shower,
No I'm not moving I said..
The psychiatrist was summoned and interviewed me, but I gave only very careful one worders, not letting on.
It was just awful, I knew that it was better if I was dead, as then no one would find out about the physical illnesses that had been misdiagnosed,
Even in the icu after I was operated on I got abused by a junior doctor who thought that "bladder flush" meant injecting a litre of saline solution into my arm
No joke he injected the bladder flush into my arm
It was absolute agony and I cried out in pain "PLEASE STOP"
he laughed at me and said "you cry like a leetle baby"
I was so scared he wanted to kill me, but he was just playing seeing how much I could take,
No one believes that happened, my gp and psyche say thats delusional but
my arm was swollen up like a balloon for a year after that not even my family believe it
I'm so sorry everyone its really hard to type this, the memories are really painful and some of it I'm digging it up as I type

I was scared my personality would frighten the other patients as I'm such a downer and dont wanna inflict my self on poor unsupecting people who dont deserve having to share a ward with a nutjob

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
When I got to the new hospital, it was apparant it was for geriatrics, I was only 47 at the time and couldn't see any one under 90,
The admin came round and I said to her, dont book me in as I'm getting a taxi home, she said "ok but you must see the doctor first, I'll let him know"
The doctor appeared and said no you cant leave, you notes say schizophrenic you have have to see the psych....
No, here's my mobile number I offered I'm away...
:(
I'm not schizo according to my therapist. but I dont trust him one bit.

edit; therapist, if you are reading this why did you block my GP referal to the psychiatrist?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.