* Anxiety, possible terror and panic attacks
* Agitation and restlessness
* Impaired concentration
* Muscular spasms, cramps or fasciculations
* Electric shock sensations
* Blurred vision
* Dry mouth
* Aches and pains
* Hearing disturbances
* Taste and smell disturbances
* Chest pain
* Flu like symptoms
* Impaired memory and concentration
* Increased sensitivity to sound
* Increased urinary frequency
* Numbness and tingling
* Hot and cold flushes
* Rebound REM sleep
* Fatigue and weakness
* Restless legs syndrome
* Metallic taste
* Nausea and vomiting
* Elevation in blood pressure
* Postural hypotension
* Depression (can be severe), possible suicidal ideation
* Loss of appetite and weight loss
* Derealisation (Feelings of unreality)
* Obsessive compulsive disorder
* Visual disturbances
* Mood swings
* Gastrointestinal problems (Irritable bowel syndrome)
An abrupt or over-rapid discontinuation of benzodiazepines may result in a more serious and very unpleasant withdrawal syndrome that may additionally result in:
* Convulsions, which may result in death
* Catatonia, which may result in death
* Coma (rare)
* Attempted suicide
* Suicidal ideation
* Self harm
* Homicidal ideation
* Urges to shout, throw, break things or to harm someone
* Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
* Organic brain syndrome
* Psychosis (LOL! Almost there! jk)
* Neuroleptic malignant syndrome like event (rare)
* delirium tremens
I am no expert but here is my 2 cent,I tried many different drugs over the past years (Check my sig). None worked for me (Except for Xanax), and I've successfully withdrawn them all, and decided to go on Xanax PRN for the rest of my life since it's the only option available where I live.
My main plan was to take it 1-3 days per week in order to prevent dependency, and I've been successful for over a year in doing that. However, about 3 weeks ago I began experiencing disturbing dreams and nightmares (think 7+ nightmares per night). Shortly after that, a severe depression kicked in, brain zaps, terror, and a wide variety of psychological symptoms including but not limited to paranoia and delusions.
I felt I was going crazy. It truly disabled my life completely. I couldn't sleep because I always had a feeling that I'm being watched, I couldn't go to the bathroom for the same reason. My reactions to loud sounds or bright light were extreme. You'd really think that I'm being possessed or turning into a vampire LOL.
Anyway, those severe life-disabling symptoms disappear when I took Xanax. So, it's obvious that I was experiencing benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms.
How is that possible? I mean, I've been taking it for over a year PRN and never had a problem. Why now? Sometimes I even took it only 1 time a week. My current dose is 1.5 mg.
The symptoms I'm experiencing are in bold:
Maybe my dose is too high it doesn't matter anymore if I take it PRN or daily to develop dependence?! (1.5 mg)
Also, I should be having more of the severe symptoms if that's correct since I'm taking it PRN and that's similar to abrupt discontinuation.
Is dependency prevention a myth afterall? I was happy on my Xanax for over a year why now?!! Anyway, I need to hear your explanations and suggestions on what should be done.
I just took a 1.5 mg and I feel like my old self again, and I can finally fall asleep.