Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Mike and I'm 29 years old. I have always been shy and have had a hard time socializing and making friends. I realized that something was really wrong a few years ago. My story from my profile is below:

There was this girl I worked with a few years ago. It was in a restaurant and she was a manager, and she was very beautiful. I just felt so scared and intimidated around her. It's not like either of us did anything to bring this on. I was always afraid to say anything to her, or, when she transferred to another location, I was always afraid to go see her.

There was one staff party I was at and I saw her, and actually hid in the washroom for a while to calm down. When she noticed me and said hello to me first, I felt a bit better.

I don't obsess over it anymore, and I've kind of gotten over her, but I still feel nervous and scared when I see her, when there is a chance I might run into her.
There are times I like to be alone, but other times I feel very isolated. I have never had a girlfriend because I've been too shy to ask, feeling not good enough, and fearing rejection. I used to think to myself that my friends must think I'm gay (if that were the case, I still would've found someone by now!)

I rarely see my best friend anymore, due to the fact he works a lot and isn't home and he lives in the other end of town, but I'm also anxious to dial the phone.

Tonight is my high school reunion, and I'm very nervous. I just don't know how to enter a conversation or enter the place.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Mike :wel

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hi Mike :wel

I just turned 40 & feel same in situations you've described.
Just now finding out about sa & such & trying to fix or make life more tolerable.
My attempts at avoidance & it'll work itself out didn't work.
Glad to have places like this to hear from & talk to others with common issues.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel Mike. I'm Karl.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, TheKingOf8! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts