Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this depression? Medication? Possible Health problems? What?

I seem to get 8 hours every night, but I still take several naps during the day. This has come about in the last year and a half; the only thing that seems to energize me and make me be able to stay up is coffee.

Anyway, any thoughts?

·
Registered
101 Posts
It could be depression or your meds, or it could e something physical like an underactove thyroid.
could be depression i went through a phase like this sleep good at night and after a few hours sleep all day as had noting else to do got out of it after a while found eating healty and keeping active helped alot hope this helps ya

·
Banned
4,424 Posts
I have the same problem. I need like 10-12 hours of sleep to feel normal. Sometime 14 if I'm exhausted from too little sleep during the week. I went to a doctor a while back, and they couldn't figure it out.

For me, I really don't think it's depression, because I've been this way for a really long time ( since I was like 12). Maybe it's just the way I am, but it sucks . I drink Mountain Dew every day to keep me up.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
What kind of meds are you on?

Any number of things cause this, including depression, low thyroid as already mentioned.

Go in for a well person check up and get some blood work done including a TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone). Have them do a CMP/Comprehensive Metabolic Panel which is a panel that includes tests for electrolyte levels, a few liver enzymes, protein, and kidney and gives a glimpse of your overall state of health (DO NOT let them get away with doing the Basic Metabolic Panel which does not contain as many tests). Also a CBC/complete blood count which looks at ALL of your blood cell counts and can reveal infections, anemia among other things.

CMP, CBC and TSH are done regularly on yearly physical exams and you aren't out of line to request them.

·
SAS Member
13,225 Posts
Maybe you have a problem w/ your digestion or a food intolerance issue. GI issues can definitely decrease a person's energy.

Perhaps revamping your current diet would help to increase your energy levels.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
All those things could cause fatigue or it could be a combination of things.
Is there any possibility that you've developed a food intolerance? I'm pretty certain I have a sensitivity to wheat gluten. I used to be insanely tired all the time (and sometimes I still am when depressed) but I've noticed that I'm less tired since I've been trying to cut it out of my diet.

·
once i died
1,270 Posts
b12 and iron .........beans and if u dont eat meat u really gotta look for a good b12 substitute cause b12 is hard to find and the lack of it can mess u up.
i eat cereals for that

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
Low T?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I would suggest getting your thyroid checked out by a physician. You may have hypothyroid.

·
Nope, still not!
3,273 Posts
Me too, but that's probably because I don't get enough sleep :lol

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Everybody is a doctor...
Well, I recommended lab tests because it's an obvious place to start. I am certainly no doctor but work in a hospital and docs cannot even get started without lab tests. Just saying. :yes :stu

I am tired a lot but I am hypothyroid. They still don't have my meds right and it has been months now. :(

·
uggla
10,068 Posts
Depression makes you feel tired and like you have no energy, but my first guess would be that the constant napping makes you more tired/groggy. If you are sitting around all day on top of that, you wont get tired(get out, exercise). I think you have to stay up, when you feel like napping, to be able to get back to a normal sleeping pattern. No coffee during the night until you've turned this around.

·
Still playing.
7,256 Posts
It might be something like depression or thyroid, but maybe you're just one of those people that needs 9+ hours of sleep a night. I need like, 10 about in order to feel awake. Naps don't help either, they make me more groggy, like they do you. Like someone else suggested, maybe start working out or go for a walk or something. If you're more sedentary then you're gonna feel less energetic and tired.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
Sleepiness can be caused by any and all the things people on here have mentioned, it's an extremely non specific symptom. IMO the worst thing you can do is to hit the internet with it, because next thing you know you'll find articles that mention that leukemia can present with being tired. Go see a doc who'll know what relevant questions to ask, and things to test, to narrow the extremely broad differential diagnosis that would be necessary to investigate this issue.

I have problems with this also. I think I have sleep apnea because I wake up several times during the night so even if I'm in bed for 10 hours I wake up feeling tired. I also think I have a gluten intolerance because if I eat healthy food with little or no gluten I sleep much better. It's completely normal to feel sleepy after lunchtime...I feel refreshed when I'm able to take a nap around 2 or 3pm.
Do you snore? Again, tiredness is an extremely nonspecific symptom, and there are a lot of things that need to be looked at before you can really be sure of why....

As for gluten, I think there is a massive amount of quackery around it, because while it certainly does cause problems for some people, there's a large community of people, who have no idea what they're talking about, who attribute it to a plethora of problems without any actual evidence, or link, (and often very little-no scientific reasoning). As far as I'm aware, gluten sensitivity/intolerance is a hypersensitivity reaction, mediated by your immune system, and would not present as simple "tiredness."

The most amusing/ridiculous thing about the people who push said quackery (and others like it) is that beyond simply failing to actually demonstrate a link, or even present a theory based on science, they criticize modern medicine and science, with the claim that practitioners of western medicine are only interested in making money. What makes it ridiculous is that these harsh critics almost always follow their criticisms by pushing their own expensive products and services claiming they don't care about making money! I read of one ridiculous clinic where regardless of what you go in for, they'll draw blood to test (for around $200 in cash - insurance won't cover it - if I remember correctly), and always come to the conclusion that gluten is the issue, and then give some nonsensical treatment for it which they also charge handsomely for.

Again, not saying that gluten doesn't cause issues, and that it isn't involved, just that I'd be careful who you listen to on the internet.

·
castor sacs
7,092 Posts
We can't diagnose you right on the spot just from this vague description of a common symptom. I get tired easily too, but in my case I found out it was a combination of depression, and, awesome news from my doctor, possible Type II Diabetes. Anyway, it could be a lot of things, so I'd just check in with your doctor to get it properly identified and treated.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts