Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, this is my first message here. I've basically had social anxiety for as long as I can remember. To cut a long story short, I have parents who've always fought with each other and neglected me a bit but what really triggered it was that when I was 3 we moved to a different country where I couldn't really talk to the other kids in kindergarden and acted kinda embarrassed and shy. It got a little better for a while but for the past 5 years (I'm 22 now) or so I have only had real contact with family. I have no actual friends or even acquaintances.
I'm in therapy and I'm thinking about going into group therapy as well. However, I'd still like to find a way into society, hanging out with people, talking, etc. I've noticed that I'm so out of practice that I can't even do small talk any more. I wanna start easy, without pressure or too close contact so I can some day be more confident socially and have a social life as well. Does any of you know which first steps I can take to start to socialize?

·
on my own
341 Posts
np and from there you could look at doing some volunteering and recreational sports/activities but I think getting a job is the most important thing. It gives you responsibilities, confidence, an identity, etc. If you have a hard time putting out resumes, try looking at employment agencies. They do that part for you. ;] gl

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
Welcome, SafeSpace! :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey Safespace! just wanted say hi and that I couldn't and still can't small talk at all so i guess we have something in common for a while :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies.
Dude, no offence, but I got SAD, I'm way too suspicious to accept you guys as friends right away. However, so far this site has been brightening my days and I'm glad I'm not the only one fighting this crappy disorder.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts