Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Do you suffer from tinnutus(ringing of the ear)

• Never

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Not often, but sometimes

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Fairly often

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Most of the time

Votes: 4 17.4%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone experience this?
I suffer from this now and again, especially if I have been drinking.

edit: tinnitus is what I mean

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
fairly often. :/ it worries me a lot actually. it's as a result of much too loud music. it terrifies me that my hearing might continue to get worse and worse and could eventually be really bad when i'm older.
music's all i've got ;(

·
Lost
275 Posts
I made a thread on this not so long ago. I suffer from it all the time. It really does bother me at night when trying to get to sleep. I can't sleep without my iPod now, because hearing the ringing just frustrates me. :blank

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
I've had it happen, but it is very rare for this to happen to me. Maybe a couple times a year.

·
dazed and confused
960 Posts
I'm mostly aware of this at night, when I can't sleep. It drives me insane :(.

·
gone
5,224 Posts
I always have it in my right ear, though some days are worse than others. Luckily it's almost always drowned out (or masked, as they say in tinnitus parlance) by ambient noise. Only in a quiet room does it sometimes bother me, so I'll flip on a fan or radio static.

Everything has been good lately and I've barely thought about tinnitus for the last year or two. Yay?

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
I made a thread on this not so long ago. I suffer from it all the time. It really does bother me at night when trying to get to sleep. I can't sleep without my iPod now, because hearing the ringing just frustrates me. :blank
if you are leaving your earbuds on throughout the night then that might just cause hearing damage which will just worsen your tinnitus

get a white noise machine that you can play at night or whenever else tinnitus bothers you in your room.
it sounds like it might be irritating since it's just buzz/distortion but i've heard it works. i don't listen to the white noise intended for helping tinnitus but i like really harsh noise music, which some people find painful but i find it very calming.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_noise (sample - it's basically merzbow for pussies, lol)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus_masker (haven't looked for sites with any you can buy)

if it's associated with hearing loss, i have done a bit of reading and have heard that what helps lessen the effects of extremely loud noises on your ears is taking certain antioxidants: vitamin E, C, A, and magnesium. it brings more blood flow to the inner ear. maybe that makes the minuscule hair follicles in ears (essential for hearing) much stronger and that are normally killed when exposed to extremely loud noises and can't be regrown.

even just taking it before and after a loud concert (or whatever situation you are in with very loud noises) helps. i take magnesium but i've been meaning to get the others in supplements. i think i'm going to test it out on an upcoming concert of a band i saw two years ago, that was one of the loudest shows i've been to and caused horrible affects from the hearing damage (i felt physically ill the whole night afterwards and had awful ringing and that cotton-ear feeling for days. it was awesome)

·
Lost
275 Posts
Hey nothing to fear, I've had tinnitus all my life and so has my mum. I can deal with it most of the time, it's just at night it distracts me from sleep.

I do fall asleep listening to music, but it's at the lowest possible volume level, and I'm a very fidgety sleeper so they fall out basically as soon as I nod off, lol. :)

Thanks very much for the advice though.

·
···---···
3,375 Posts
I've gotten this but it's pretty rare. I'll hear ringing for about a minute or so and only in one ear. Happens maybe a couple times a year.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I don't.

·
giggling ******
11,070 Posts
Tinnitus is music.

I pray to Saint Tinnitus, who lost mom and dad to the needle and bottle, respectively.

·
Somewhere but not here.
1,802 Posts
rarely. I used to have it more often, but now it's very rare. Maybe once a month.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts