Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've failed on 2 major tests in 2 classes. With only 1 more test left, there's no way I can avoid F now. And if I do, I'll be surely get kicked out of school. The dean recommended that I withdraw from school and come back next semester. That's what I'd like to do, but I've done that in the past and my parents want me to keep going and try my best whether I fail or not in the end. Now the deadline for dropping courses without getting F is just 2 days away. I would've dropped them without hesitation, but I'm afraid of my parents' reaction, especially mom's. She has major depression and god knows what she will do if I tell her the truth.
I know what's the right thing to do. I need advice on how to deal with the fear and say it.

·
Remarkable
1,043 Posts
Try to explain to them that there is no possible way to pass the class. if you do not drop, you will end up with an F. While there are certain circumstances when a W can be worse than an F, I think the F is usually worse. Your GPA will tank and you will be kicked out. If you drop, you can always try again. At this point you have nothing to gain by sticking it out for sure Fs. It's not going to help anyone.

·
Banned
791 Posts
I've failed on 2 major tests in 2 classes. With only 1 more test left, there's no way I can avoid F now. And if I do, I'll be surely get kicked out of school. The dean recommended that I withdraw from school and come back next semester. That's what I'd like to do, but I've done that in the past and my parents want me to keep going and try my best whether I fail or not in the end. Now the deadline for dropping courses without getting F is just 2 days away. I would've dropped them without hesitation, but I'm afraid of my parents' reaction, especially mom's. She has major depression and god knows what she will do if I tell her the truth.
I know what's the right thing to do. I need advice on how to deal with the fear and say it.
I would say do what the dean says. Does the dean have any other ideas of things you could do to improve your situation? Like tutors, or maybe a support group on campus for whatever you feel are the root causes of your poor performance?

Or maybe instead of college you need to consider something like vocational school and then you can transfer those credits and what you earned in college to a program where you can work and complete school while you work. There are nursing, business, and computer info systems programs like that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts