Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All this 9/11 memories lately has many people saying the past 20 years went by super fast but to me it feels like a very long time. Even things that happened 3 years ago feels like double the amount of time to me. I have no idea why.

·
Failure's Art
2,497 Posts
For me it feels like both at the same time. I can think about high school or anything else in the past and it will feel like so long ago in one instant but then will also feel like it just happened yesterday a moment later. Time tends to **** with my head a lot.

Reactions: Unforgiven17

·
Super Moderator
8,450 Posts
Total opposite for me. Honestly I would love to feel like time goes by slow.

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
7,840 Posts
It is either or for me, sometimes it feels like it has passed in an instant, other times it feels like an eternity. I do notice, however, that when I was much younger it always felt like an eternity. It brings up an interesting observation though, for those that experience the flow of time slower, is it due to having an excellent memory recall, for example you feel time has moved slowly, could it be because you recall so much in between what has occurred between this moment to what happened in your memory?

I can remember 9/11 pretty clearly, and a lot has happened since then. The flow of memories is not instantaneous, but if I were to sit here and start recalling the events, it feels like a long time. If I were to just stop at a memory of 9/11 and forgo memories after it, it seems like it was just a short time ago.

·
(.*?)
6,742 Posts
2001 was like another lifetime to me. Eons ago. I was still in college, lived with parents, etc. But 2005 doesn't seem that long ago because my situation is much more similar (still posting on SAS just like then).

The apparent rate of passage of time depends mainly on what's happening. If you're in the same situation as in 2001 then it'll seem like yesterday. If you had some huge life change last week like a divorce or move or death, then the past week may seem like eons. If you're waiting in a line, a single minute may seem like forever.

Memory compression may tend to make decades seem to have gone faster to older people... but it's also true that most people's lives change a lot less between 60 and 70 than they do between 10 and 20 or 20 and 30.

·
😒🤡
6,857 Posts
I think it's some of both for me. Anytime before 2006 seems so long ago. 2006 does, too and at the same time it doesn't. People around my age or the same age as me think 2004 wasn't that long ago. But for me, it feels exactly as long as it's been. When I think to myself it's been over 16 years since 2004, though it's like wow it's been that long? Lol It feels like it has been, though at the same time. I was a kid, too so it makes sense it would feel like it was exactly over 16 years. Really, it feels like 2004 could've been 19 to 20 years ago for me. So, yea it feels both fast and slow at the same time. Weird how that works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts