Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
In hiding
1,455 Posts
I think I'd be more anxious without my TV, lol. I don't really watch shows like that anyway. I have certain things I'll watch then that's it. I think I download TV shows and rent movies more anyway.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Haha, yeah I agree. I've moved to a place with commercial TV which I can't stand. I've been here 7 months and I've watched it twice I think (about 20mins each). Every time I go to my parents or friends I watch Pay-tv, and I really really don't miss it at all. I remember how constantly bored I was when I used to watch it.

·
In my shiny bubble
2,428 Posts
I don't really watch tv, not shows like 'scrubs, friends, prison break, the simpson, southpark etc etc.
Though I do watch soaps and I have been watching Flashforward on Monday's and I'll occasionally watch a documentary and the news, though the news just makes you upset/depressed or there is something stupid going on sometimes.
I go on my laptop more than I watch tv though lol

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Personally I don't think everything on tv is garbage..I've found some pretty good shows. I stay away from the stupid celeb gossip and reality shows. I never used to watch tv and my anxiety was just as bad as it is now.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
Not having a tv is only good if I have things to do like hanging out with friends for example. If I'm stuck at home then it's pretty boring without it.

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
I don't have cable or satellite, I only use my TV for movies and games. Um, I haven't really seen an improvement in my SA due to this, but I'm glad you have. :)

·
Nowhere Man
2,415 Posts
I only use my TV for DVDs and games. I can't put up with TV. All you see now in the UK is reality TV, Britain's Got Talent and the X Factor. Not what I'd call entertainment tbh :/

·
Banned
850 Posts
ive been without cable for over 3 years and i dont miss it at all. it was just like another vice that i got bored of and forgot about. i did watch a little bit recently and wow the commercials are more laughable and stupid than ever.

·
PreciousGleamingMcNugget
5,593 Posts
But it's a distraction. Plus I feel lonely/kinda creeped out just sitting in my room in silence. TV can make you feel like there's someone around.

·
Registered
973 Posts
beat you to the punch quite a while ago, getting rid of my tv was a great decision... if there's anything i really wanna see, i can just watch it on the internet.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
With today's technology you can watch what you want when you want it. I record certain shows to the DVR and watch them commercial free. There are great shows on TV. There are educational shows as well. Not everything on TV is garbage.

·
Yes
1,760 Posts
Yeah, I DVR everything as well to a 750gb hard drive, it's scheduled to record anything I might want to keep up with. Fast forward through the commercials and you can avoid all the sensationalist news bites...

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Not watching TV didn't reduce my anxiety....it likely had no effect on it. I've been able to get a lot more reading done though. Kinda funny though...because this year I received a Nielsen's rating survey to fill out regarding my TV watching habits (it came with a dollar bill too :p), even though I don't subscribe to cable and I don't even have a TV in my house. I have an LCD for my laptop, that's it. I filled out the survey and sent it in...heh.

·
fellow human
2,074 Posts
I was once horrified to realize that the reason I couldn't study for more than 7 minutes at a time was because my brain was used to getting a commercial break every 7 minutes. Sitcoms also convinced me that every other line has to be a punchline. TV has ruined my life. **** YOU Ben Franklin. I will see you in hell!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts