Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been haunting the local thrift/second hand stores to find cheap stuff to furnish my apartment and in doing so I've found some awesome games lurking in them. Just yesterday I found: Baldur's Gate I & II, Beyond Good and Evil, Full Throttle, FEAR, and I purchased NHL 08 and Thief: the dark project (for $2!). I've been keeping an eye out in thrift stores for awhile, but the sheer amount of goodies I saw yesterday was amazing.

·
Painfully Shy Guy
418 Posts
Thrifts stores rule, especially right now with the economy being down, and I think a lot of people who looked down on them are checking them out.

Alot of the stuff seems pretty crappy to me but not all ... some of my furniture is from the thrift store.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
yea i've gotten some games for SNES in the past. last time i went earlier this year we got a 3 for 1 discount, ha ha. (i swear every time i go to value village with someone after we walk out they say "so what'd you steal this time??" and pull out whatever is hidden in their pants or sleeve)

·
sa challenger
5,079 Posts
Thrifts stores rule, especially right now with the economy being down, and I think a lot of people who looked down on them are checking them out.

Alot of the stuff seems pretty crappy to me but not all ... some of my furniture is from the thrift store.
I bought a decent sofa and loveseat total 60 bucks. We have these friggin' cats so we buy cheap furniture, because they ruin it very quickly. How do you keep your stupid cats off the furniture? I am being held prisoner by them.

·
sa challenger
5,079 Posts

I bought a decent sofa and loveseat total 60 bucks. We have these friggin' cats so we buy cheap furniture, because they ruin it very quickly. How do you keep your stupid cats off the furniture? I am a being held prisoner by them.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
I used to buy pretty much all of my clothes & music from these places a few years ago, but I seem to have grown out of it now since I find it nearly impossible to find anything I want anymore. I still visit all the time though, they're more fun than regular stores.
I still have a lot of awful metal/prog records that I intend to give right back to them, though there's a few awesome things I've found in there (including some old Swans EPs, an original Japanese psych album by Yonin Bayashi & an original Pink Floyd single from memory...)

I have a thing for buying old adventure games at the moment since they remind me of my childhood when I was too stupid to play them, though I remember seeing Full Throttle, Sam & Max, Day of the Tentacle, The Last Express etc all in their original boxes in a store i used to visit frequently, but didn't buy any of them. They were gone when I went back :(

Really? Do you still have a SNES that works? I remember selling mine to buy an N64, though I had so many great games for it. It was starting to overheat/malfunction as I remember, so I feel a little bad for the guy who bought it...
our original we've had since it came out does not work for two players so we got this cheapo hunk of plastic that can play SNES games but it started ****ing up pretty quickly once we first used it. still playable though, you just can't touch it in the slightest bit when playing or it will turn off and the game has to be pushed in a certain angle at all times...

Swans EPs eh? very cool, i was listening to public castration is a good idea at work today, so ****ing brutal, i'll probably go out and buy a copy this week if i can find it. i also heard soundtracks for the blind recently for the first time, very good stuff.

·
Banned
2,265 Posts
Lol i love thrift stores..I found some jeans there for 4 bucks compared to the 50 dollars i was going to spend on them else where!! I dont care what anyone thinks I LOVE THRIFTS STORES lol!!

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome...I've played some things in emulation over the past few years but it's not really the same (maybe if I had a gamepad instead of trying to use the keyboard...?). I still really completely need to finish Mario World.

Early Swans is really good, I keeping meaning to buy more from them but so far the EPs (Young God & No.1) are all I have. I bought them at least 6-7 years ago though, so I'm obviously just lazy. I managed to buy some really awesome stuff back then that's I've only managed to "get" in the last few years (e.g. Neubauten, The Birthday Party, Arc by Neil Young). Foresight/rediscovering stuff is the best.
Get a usb gamepad! I got one for the sole purpose of replaying Goldeneye on my pc.

Also, Jarboe is the second most frightening woman ever, after Diamanda Galás.

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Yep, another thrift store junkie here. Just the other day I bought this huge brass mirror for work - only $5. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts