Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm in a mood where i just want to talk about them/listen to them/watch vids of them alllll night.

who likes the smiths? what's your favourite album? when did you get into them? did anyone see them live? what was the first song that clicked with you? has anyone seen morrissey in the recent years? just how slim are the chances that morrissey and marr will even want to be in the same room again? etc etc etc

i got into the smiths in grade 9 when i was 14. the first song that really floored me and got me obsessed was "this charming man", it was the first track on a "best of" compilation that my uncle burned for me for christmas (you know, i don't think i ever mentioned to him how much that affected me). it was really one of those "holy ****" moments first listening to them, and i basically had that CD on repeat for a while until i delved more into their discography. i swear almost every song would have a lyric where i'd think "wow, how does morrissey know exactly how i'm feeling?". their music was an integral part of my 14 to 18 year old self, my whole high school career, and a huge part of my life in general.

the line from "half a person":
"And if you have five seconds to spare
Then I'll tell you the story of my life :
Sixteen, clumsy and shy
"

was one that i was very obsessed with for obvious reasons. i remember when i'd listen to it at age 14 and think "i can't believe i'll be able to one day say that i am actually sixteen, clumsy and shy, but i bet i'll be less shy by that age" (ha!) but then a couple years later i did turn sixteen and i would listen to the song and think it was cool that i can actually quote it and that is completely accurate and that i was still too shy.
another line (among many) that always made me think "how do you know how i feel morrissey?" is "shyness is nice, and shyness will stop you, from doing all the things in life you'd like to". really lame and teenage - but i remember when i first read about the term "social anxiety" (and joined this site soon after) and i listened to that song and i uh, cried to it as the reality of it hit me.

really for those years i'd always think "morrissey is the only one who gets me", which sounds totally lame and probably is lame, but quite honestly he is the one who understood me the most at the time (well you know, through his lyrics).
practically every single song could trigger back a memory of a moment where it fit me perfectly or where i was obsessed with it or how it related to my life. if someone were to ask me "so, describe your teenage years the best that you can" i could probably toss them a copy of meat is murder and it would depict my life better than anything i could say. haha

it was not just mozz too of course, everything about the smiths was practically flawless. it's this perfect blend morrissey's brooding vocals, marr's jangly guitar parts, and rourke and joyce's tight rhythm section.
like, ****, nothing out there even compares to the smiths and probably never will.

i'm obviously too young to have seen them but i was talking to my uncle yesterday and he had seen them (described morrissey as a "sex god" at the time) in 1986 in california. he said the audience was going crazy and people were throwing roses on stage for mozz and such. :(

i've never been into mozz's solo work surprisingly, i think when i listen to him i always feel like there's a major part missing. i have thought of seeing him live, though. maybe next time he tours here.

i've been listening to rank (live) a lot lately but the queen is dead is still my favourite, probably always will be.

a lot of the lyrics that i always identified with kind of make me chuckle now thinking back, probably because of the patheticness of that age (you know, lying in bed thinking about how your are the loneliest person ever listening to "i know it's over". or hanging out with friends who are having a great time and reciting the lyrics to "heaven knows I'm miserable now" to yourself in your head).
i admit though i still feel like "what she said" is one of the songs i most identify with.. heh.

okay my essay is complete. someone should post something so i don't feel like such a fangirl haha

·
···---···
3,375 Posts
The first album I bought was a smiths one on cassette back in hs. That was like 20 years ago and that really sucks because I feel hella old now. I don't really listen to them much now (after all it's been two decades) but I was a huge fan back then. Unfortunately I never saw them live because I was too scared to go to a concert and didn't have any money or a car back then.

It's hard to pick a favorite album because I have trouble remembering which songs were on which. That first one I bought I liked a lot... it was the purpleish one with the bare chest on the cover. I think I liked the orangy album better though I can't remember the name. It was a longer album with extra songs. It brings back a lot of memories thinking about these.

Anyway, I don't think the two will reunite. I heard they really dislike each other now.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I love The Smiths :D They have got to be my favourite band by a longgg way...

I'm not too sure about Morrissey's solo work though... I've never really got into it. But The Smiths are amazing. My favourite album is The Queen Is Dead, and I know it's popular and everything but their first song I got into was How Soon Is Now? :)

Ummm I'm far too young to have seen them live :(

My favourite songs by them are... Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me, and Asleep. LOL, the depressing ones :p Well, they're all depressing, and all about as good as each other, but I like those two particularly. And depressing is good when it's done by Moz.

Nice thread, btw :yes

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
Back in high school in 1986, this punkish girl had turned my friend and I onto New Order, so we asked her about other good music, and she said to get the Smiths. We trusted her taste so much that we just went to the record store and bought Meat Is Murder. I remember the first time listening to it, it was like falling into this black space, this weird subterranean realm - that's how affecting the music and lyrics were.

Then we got A Hatful of Hollow, which was a double album collection of singles, sort of a precursor to the orange album (?). It had a picture of them on the inside, and I remember thinking, huh, he's not so bad looking, how can he write all these depressing lyrics? (I had a simpler view of life back then.)

The songs were like drugs - totally intoxicating when you first heard them, and for a while afterwards. But the effect would slowly wear off. So for the next album, the Queen is Dead, we tried not listening to it as often, to make it last longer. But it didn't work too well. That album inspired us to go hang out in a cemetery, but the one time we tried with that girl and her friends (a rare event), there were cops there. ****!

To satisfy our lust for more Smiths, we bought more singles. But soon afterwards they came out with the orange album, which compiled most of them, and we were like, what, why did we just spend all this money on all these singles? So we were mad at the orange album, and never really listened to it. :)

We never got to see them live. They might have come to our city, but we were too scared to go to a concert in high school. New Order came in 86 or 87, and we got as far as driving to the record store to buy tickets, and then chickened out. I still regret that!

I only have Hatful and Queen on my ipod so far - the others are stuck on vinyl at the moment. I still love when their songs come on, especially "Still Ill".

·
Registered
39 Posts
I absolutely love them.

I think the first time i actually gave them a proper listen was in about 2004, when a friend lent me 'the queen is dead'. I heard them before then, but never actually gave them a good enough listen to "get it". Probably the main reason i got into them then, was due to '04 been the start of my "angst years".

It's hard to pick a favourite album but i'd say its probably a tie between 'the queen is dead' (due to the great catchy songs) and 'meat is murder'(due to the amazing lyrics). I still love everything they released though, and a good majority of Morrisseys solo work...

Btw, great post/thread, nothing to fear!

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
okay my essay is complete. someone should post something so i don't feel like such a fangirl haha
Haha I just came across this thread and thought, 'this is so typical of heather..'

Quote: 'someone should post something so i don't feel like such a fangirl haha' (???)

Where is your 'I ****ed Thom York' t-shirt?? It says it all... :clap

·
slanted and disenchanted
321 Posts
Post Script: I havn't been able to get this song out of my head all week: :mum

Who covers the vocals for this track? She is amaaaaaaaaziiing.
liz fraser from the cocteau twins.

p.s. in regards to the post topic, the smiths are one of the main reasons i survived high school. a girl i went to camp w/ got me into them when i was fourteen. 'ask' was the first song that hooked me, but they have so many great songs. 'asleep', 'stop me if you think that you've heard this one before', 'girl afraid', 'this charming man', 'there is a light that never goes out', 'unlovable', etc... i only really gave morrissey's early work a go. i do like the bona drag album for 'suedehead', 'every day is like sunday', and 'november spawned a monster'. but i doubt morrissey and marr with ever reunite, and i've never seen morrissey live. k, i'll shut up now. nice topic, though! :)

·
learning...
663 Posts
I love The Smiths.
Favourite album: all of them, but at a push The Queen Is Dead.
Favourite song: I would love to name a more obscure Smiths track, but There Is A Light That Never Goes Out is the most perfect song ever written, I think.

I've been into them for about 10 years... too young to have seen them live, unfortunately. : (

Even if Morrissey and Marr got back together, which isn't likely, I think for it to be a true Smiths reunion they would have to include Joyce and Rourke (which is even less likely) -- one of the greatest rhythm sections -- without them, no Smiths.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I love the Smiths, my favorite album is Strangeways, Here We Come. Favorite song, probably Panic. I think that's on Louder than Bombs though. "Because the music that they constantly play...it says nothing to me about my life".

I'm surprised to see a number of people saying they don't like Morrissey's solo work. It's different obviously, but still the morose, ironic and clever lyrics. Every Day is Like Sunday...absolutely brilliant. I really like his most recent album too.

I have much more to say on this topic, but already one coworker has caught me posting this, and I'd like to cap it at just one.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
I love The Smiths. A lot.

The first time I heard them was on Vh1, they played the video to "The Boy With The Thorn In His Side" and I was hooked. I would've been about 16 then. I bought a cassette of Morrissey's 'Bona Drag,' soon realized that Morrissey and The Smiths weren't the same thing, and bought a copy of 'The Queen Is Dead.'

My favorite album is probably their self-titled or 'Louder Than Bombs,' but I really love everything they've ever done, even 'Strangeways.'

They're basically the perfect band.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i have a louder than bombs pin that i wear on my purse or a cardigan and i admit i fantasize that a guy will see it and approach me and be like "you like the smiths? :O wow! i love them!"
still waiting for it to happen.

and also pretty much everyone i meet who is a big fan is over the age of 30.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just got in to them actually. So I haven't listen to much of their songs, but out of the ones I've listened to, Cemetry Gates has to be my favorite so far. It is just so catchy to me. I really need to get more into them, though.

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
After the Smiths broke up, there were little blurbs in the music magazines about Johnny Marr and Bernard Sumner of New Order (their singer/guitarist) getting together to form a band.

** HOLY ****! ** I thought, this is going to be EPIC!! Two of my favorite guitarists of all time, in the same band! What kind of wild guitar-driven songs are they going to come up with??

Eventually the name of the band came out - Electronic. And after many delays, the album finally came out. It sounded like watered down, synth driven Pet Shop Boys. Bernard hardly sang - it was one of the Pet Shop Boys singing mostly. Marr kind of vanished into the background of the music, as I recall. I was sooo disappointed. :cry

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
aw :hug

yea i've only actually heard of that album ONCE before which is really odd. must be quite bad, i should really hear it.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Agree with everything everyone's said. They're my favourite band,The Queen Is Dead is my favourite album and 'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out' my favourite song of all time. I know that sounds one-dimensional and all,but I have heard probably close to 1000 albums,at least 15,000 tracks and can honestly say that nothing has had as much affect on me as when I first heard 'The Queen Is Dead' in 2005. I've always been big on acclaim,looking at lists of 'greatest albums of all time' so it was only a matter of time until I stumbled upon them. I couldn't believe I'd missed out on it for so long - here was a band that seemed to convey all the feelings I've had. I think they were the most consistent band of all time probably,only a couple of tracks in their whole catalogue are let-downs for me,everything else a thrill. What a band!

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
Johnny Marr, I've just discovered, is now in The Cribs. I quite like The Cribs. Should be interesting.
I like The Cribs also. They've never had a song as good as "You Were Always The One," though. Maybe Marr will change that?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts