Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find that one of the things I get anxious the most about is my own mortality. Even if I live for another hundred years, I oftentimes get extremely anxious about the reality that we all die eventually. Even worse is the prospect that life could get cut short at any time--a disease, a car accident, an aneurysm...take your pick--and I've never been able to make peace with that idea. I've always had trouble with the "live in the moment" philosophy, since it's hard for me to enjoy today knowing there could be trouble tomorrow.

I suppose it's the uncertainty of the future that's part of the problem. I get anxious whenever I feel like some aspect of the future in uncertain, and since the future is always uncertain, I get anxious a lot. I know that's a fact of life, but I've never been able to figure out how to deal with it. I suspect that I spent most of my childhood taking life for granted, since I felt that with my parents around, tomorrow was guaranteed. But now that I'm older and essentially on my own, I realize I can no longer do that.

So how do you live with the reality of mortality and the uncertainty of the future? How do you make peace with it? I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Goodness, you sound just like me. Over the course of this summer, I have become a hypochondriac. I think in terms of the worst possible situation. Bumping my head skews me to believe I may have a concussion, chest pains freak me out. I am SO scared. I was not like this before last year. I guess when you have something distracting you, you don't think of it too much. I try to get myself more busy, it can be draining especially when you have anxiety, but the less I have time to think about something like that, I am more focused on my present. Hope it helps. yer not alone.

·
Hmm.
459 Posts
Ohhh... I went through this too a while ago. It started when I read the phrase 'Memento Mori' in this book I was reading (A Series of Unfortunate Events). It means 'Remember you will die.' That stuck with me for a LONG time... at least a year. The thought of it scared me - I was just constantly aware of the fact that I would have to die - and it sucked. I remember I tried to talk to my mom about this :)eek:) and then I was just embarrassed to explain it (there's the normal me) so then I pretended it was nothing. Eventually I just stopped thinking about death - I reason that I PROBABLY have a good 40 years left, but I guess like you were saying, I'm still with my parents and I have this natural progression of stuff to go through (finish high school, college, get a job), possibly distracting me from this.

·
(/・・)ノ 
1,840 Posts
Ohhh... I went through this too a while ago. It started when I read the phrase 'Memento Mori' in this book I was reading (A Series of Unfortunate Events).
Reminds me of my art history class. A theme in some Renaissance art was the memento mori. Under one particular work, there was a skeleton resting on a stone slab with something written above it. It said, in Italian, "as I was once you, you will become me."

I personally take comfort in knowing that the difficulties of life are not eternal. Besides, after you die, you won't care that you're dead so what's the point in fretting over it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Besides, after you die, you won't care that you're dead so what's the point in fretting over it?
Easier said than done, I'm afraid. That goes back to the whole "live in the present" idea, which I'm not very good at. I'm just not sure how to enjoy today knowing that tomorrow is not guaranteed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I get very anxious when the thought of how many years I have left comes up. It started about 6 years ago. I spent an entire summer in an almost constant state of anxiety over it.

Now, I try my best not to think about it and if it comes up I find something else to focus on until it "goes away". I spoke to my sister about it and she attempted to reassure me that I have many many years left but that wasn't exactly soothing. I'm just assuming that by the time I am close to dying I will have made peace will it.

·
King of Orochi's
450 Posts
Everyone will die....inevitably. People that aren't afraid of death are in denial. Humans fear the unknown.

·
Registered
246 Posts
There's nothing you can do so try not to think about it, I get that feeling A LOT but when I do I think how that moment I'm living is unique in the flow of universal time, and that makes it very special.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts