Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Permanently Baned
2,594 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, at least in general having a degree [potentially] allows you to work salary at many big companies and not have to punch in hours. I was sick this whole week, and showed up all but for for 2 hours today and no body gave me a hard time taking paid sick days. Then I promptly left early as I'm still struggling from the flu.

Besides the fact that some of that sounds like brutal labor (I used to be a petroleum engineer and have a better quality of life making less elsewhere).

I'm a first generation college grad and most of my family constantly tell me they wish they had the opportunity. Otherwise they feel a ceiling.

If anything, your degrees will probably motivate your current/future children if any to study, whereas cash and cars will probably encourage them to value such things.

Most of this is already obvious to you, so sorry for stating the bland.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Wow, people with no degrees are making in the six figures and here I am at 36 unemployed with 2 degrees and can't even get a $15 an hour temp job anymore.

$15.00 an hour temp job? Those don't exist anymore. The last temp job I had was a switchboard operator for 2 days at $8.00 an hour. If you have 2 degrees, congratulations, you are ahead of those who don't have any, you are in a better position to get a job.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
You need to take whatever is available,not just refuse jobs that you think are beneath you. And degrees mean **** all - I've said a few times before: 97% of millionaires don't have a degree.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
**** salary, I prefer to punch in hours... that way I actually get paid when I have to "stay back because I love the company so much, and would do anything for it." No such thing as "overtime" where I work for salary people: they just get "time in lieu" which becomes impractical to take.

·
Permanently Baned
2,594 Posts
**** salary, I prefer to punch in hours... that way I actually get paid when I have to "stay back because I love the company so much, and would do anything for it." No such thing as "overtime" where I work for salary people: they just get "time in lieu" which becomes impractical to take.
I agree. I remembered fresh out of college being a salary "process engineer". The hourly maintenance techs kept on calling me day and night (often 4 am when I had to show up at 8 am) to run something by me or get my "approval" to take a certain path of repair or to go ahead and order an expensive replacement component. They were making double what I made because of their 60 - 80 hours per week and were more experienced than me.

I ended up working just as many hours as them and getting paid for 40 hours. They did do some brutal labor though that many years later I'm still glad I didn't do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts