Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I arrived at work in a pretty ****ty mood as usual and this older lady (lets call her Norma) I work with was telling me how I got so many compliments earlier: "Where is that sweet, soft spoken girl?" She is always bringing up how soft spoken I am and it annoys me because I know I have a mean side too (which I kinda like).

Anyway, she is the type to make friendly banter with the customers while I just give them the traditional "hi", bag up their sh**, and say "have a good one". So I'm ringing up my first customer and then the next, when Norma I guess notices they are related. Norma says something like, "Oh, shopping/rackin' up some deals with your mom?" No one says anything and they both have this blank stare. Turns out they are sisters (Oooooohh, awkward), their mother just passed (*cringe*), and they were buying clothes for the funeral.

On the inside, I had this smirk like: "Yea, that's what you get for being so chatty!" Norma apologized and tried to smooth things over and the sisters were pretty calm and nice about it (at least on the outside they were).

See SAers, its not so bad being quiet.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I used to work at a shoe store, very briefly, and one time I came up behind these two customers saying, "How are you ladies doing?", and they both turned out to be guys. Looking back on it now I can laugh but at the time I wanted to crawl into a hole and die.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Oh my, how embarrassing for her. lol. I would NEVER EVER EVER EVER work in retail ever again. I dont know how you do it!

Yep I do like being quiet too. But it seems everytime I open my mouth to speak, it all comes out wrong or people missunderstand me. So Im working on keeping even more quiet. lol.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used to work at a shoe store, very briefly, and one time I came up behind these two customers saying, "How are you ladies doing?", and they both turned out to be guys. Looking back on it now I can laugh but at the time I wanted to crawl into a hole and die.
LMAO!
One time at work this lady stopped me in a panic and told me their was a young guy in the ladies restroom. She described him and w/o thinking, I went inside to confront him. Turns out it was a female!!!! It was one of those moments where my brain couldn't catch up to my mouth.
Clearly the suspect had boobs. They could've passed for man boobs/moobs tho'.....

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
It's better to be quiet and be thought of as a fool than remove all doubt and be known as a fool, o'r something like that.

Well quiet people have tact. I tend to think too much before saying something but it could be a good thing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i always feel like i need to think before i say anything....if i don't have the time, i don't talk..simple as that. i'm constantly worried about saying the wrong thing to anyone...like the mailman...and all i really have to say is "any mail? Thanks" but of course i make it much too complicated and manufactured. i felt this way at a recent interview where i had rehearsed what i was going to say so many times, that when it came out, it sounded so fake. *hates myself*

·
Registered
29 Posts
Whenever, I tell myself "ok, try and be social" and I actually make the effort to be "talkative" or just talk more in a social situation. I ALWAYS ALWAYS without fail will end up saying something embarrassing or out of line. Seriously, I think I am so nervous and I am ignoring my brain telling me I am scared--that I just end up blurting out the wrong thing.:sus

1 - 15 of 15 Posts