Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Social outcast
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this post is all over the place but it's one big rant about my SA.
So last year I found out that I had SA, but I diagnosed myself. A year later, it's more severe, to the point where I can't even go out in public anymore. My family goes out and I just stay at home. My parents get a bit worried when I stay home like that. They don't know that I have SA. I have a twin brother and he just makes it worse by calling me things like anti-social and mute. He tells me that I need to talk more and stuff but it's easier said than done.
I'm always nervous, and people are starting to point that out and notice that. I was at the dentist and the dentist assistant told me "You need confidence and you need to stop being nervous, you're a beautiful girl." That didn't help me at all of course. One of my classmates asked me why I walked like I had no confidence. Alot of my classmates classify me as awkward or nervous, but how am i supposed to help that? Another problem to add to my list is that i'm getting bullied at school alot, and it got alot more worse in high school. I'm guessing it's because i look nervous and vulnerable, but maybe it's because they don't like the way that I look.
What i'm trying to say is that i'm tired of being too uncomfortable to get out of the house to even go to the store or the mall, i'm tired of being too uncomfortable for school, i'm tired of being nervous all of the time, i'm just tired of it all. Does anyone know what I could do to help my SA, and what I could do to stop caring what people think of me, and what i could to gain confidence?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
people talking like that , they only say what they "see" i think its more a gesture thing.
gesture can say a lot.

you can do more , like jogging once a while it really helps shape your body after a while you'll feel better physically.

confidence comes with time , try to involve in things at school or familie stuff just to get the feeling of "being a part of" the more you do the more you go further you'll do stuff you like.

·
serious
340 Posts
Professional Help, Medication, Therapy, CBT, Exposure.

The anxiety techniques sticky at the top of this subforum has some good stuff.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I'd say remember baby steps. A lot of people who come on here have this expectation of some miracle pill that will sort them out over night and that just isn't the case. You have to gradually get yourself out of your comfort zone not all in one go. If its got to the point whereby you avoid even going out to do shopping etc then best to combat it as soon as possible otherwise you'll let fear take hold. There's a fair amount of benefit of exposure techniques to help you feel more comfortable in situations.

You best develop a f-you complex, I like to call it :b. Just remember you have a right to do what you wish and you shouldn't feel uncomfortable in doing so. People here may suggest medication might help but I've never been a pro med person. CBT might help you as well to remove unwanted thoughts. A fair amount of people said its helped and a lot of it is to so with ones own perception of the world around them. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts